As they slowly made their way to the lower levels of the castle; their path down the steep staircase illuminated by flaming torchlight, Buffy found herself lost in thought. Her muscles tensed, jaw clenching tighter with each step. Descending to the lower levels made her uneasy, her mind filling with the unpleasant memories of her time spent held captive by Angelus.

For two long years she had been his prisoner, escaping again and again only to be recaptured, punished and put under more watchful eyes. For too long she had been left alone in the cold and dark catacombs that lay beneath his castle to slowly wither away.

Angelus had left her to weaken, dangling like a piece of meat on a hook as her body slowly wasted away from malnutrition. She knew she was skin and bones, her hands automatically gliding across her hips as they descended another flight of stairs. Her body lacked mass, leaving her with hardly any muscle to speak of.

Before her capture; when she had been on the run with her father, they had eaten whatever they could hunt. Her body was constantly being pushed to its limits. Through the strenuous training drills he ran her through or even just trying to hunt down their next meal. Every day was a challenge. They were up at dawn and didn't stop until well after darkness had set in. She had been exhausted and tired at the end of each day, but she had felt strong.

Angelus had made her weak.

And then, she had been chosen.

Her body had pulsed to life after the becoming, renewed with an energy and strength she had never felt before.

And so she had run.

"I can feel you thinkin' in there, luv."

Her mate's dulcet tones drew her from her thoughts and she looked up to see the door they had stopped in front of.

"Sorry, bad memories."

"It's why we're down here."

His mouth formed a hard line and she knew without asking that he had felt her stomach turning in knots with each descending step. Spike opened the thick wooden door, it's hinges creaking under the weight and pressure. The cavern space wasn't as large and open as the library was, but it was easily twice the size of his bed chambers. They were beneath the castle, the dark browns and greys of the rock and stone of the cavern walls forming shadows as flaming torchlight lined their walls.

Buffy let her eye's wander as they stepped farther into the room. Along one wall of the cavern was a stand that held an array of swords, all of different lengths and shapes. To its left was another stand that held a bow, a leather quiver hanging from its rack filled with dozens of arrows, their feathers glistening against the torchlight above them. Her fingers reached out and grazed their tips before she turned to see the makeshift target at the end of the long cavern.

Heart lurching, she smiled sadly, longing to hear her fathers voice correcting her on her marksmanship.

"You're not going to do anyone any harm if you hold it like that. Here, like this..."

Her fingers twitched, desperate to reach out and take the bow and arrow in hand. She was restless and had been for days. Her mate knew it as he smiled at her, watching her examine the weapons.

The stand of swords caught her eye again and she moved closer. Each hilt was wrapped in different leathers with some made purely from silver and gold with gems in their pommels. Her eyes, however, were drawn towards one sword in particular that sat near the bottom of the stand, slowly gathering dust. It was a simple sword, its hilt wrapped in a dark leather that nearly matched her suit. Its end though, was what had captivated her. Thin slivers of gold wound their way around the grip towards the pommel which came to form the shape of an arrow head.

"They're quite something."

"They are." She drew her fingers back and stood, taking in the rest of the room.

Other than the sword rack, bow stand and the target at the end of the cavern the room was bare. All that was left was a wooden dummy stand that stood opposite the sword rack, posts sticking out at different heights and angles.

"Let's see if we can't tempt that golden-eyed-goddess of yours out hmm?" Spike smirked, catching her hand before she could reach down to pick the sword up from the last hold.

Inner demons before weapons. Gotcha!

She blushed under his gaze and let him lead her to the center of the room.

"Remember, it's all about balance." As he spoke he shook his head, his demon coming forward. "My demon is always with me."

"It's not the simple." She sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yes it is. You can't have one without the other, luv." Spike took both her hands and unlaced her arms. "First thing you need to do is relax."

"I am relaxed!"

Spike sent her a pointed look and she huffed again, letting her hands fall to her side.

"Fine... I'm relaxed." She took a few deep breaths and tried to calm the butterflies that were fluttering around in her stomach.

"It's not about what's in here," he was walking around her and reached forward to tap her on the head. "It's here that matters." His hand came to stop above her heart just as he stepped in front of her.

"How am I supposed to do that if they think two different things?"

"It's all about balance, luv." Spike resumed his walking, his eyes boring holes into her as he eyed her outfit approvingly.

"How do I find the balance?"

"Relax.."

"Uh!"

Buffy threw her arms up in the air in impatience, earning her a chuckle from her mate.

"When I first found Oz, he was a righ' mess. Nearly tore apart the whole damn village in one night during a full moon before I managed to catch him off guard with the help of the witch."

"Willow.."

"It was Tara actually. Oz had no control over his beast..." Spike stopped in front of her again and met her eyes. "And now he can call the wolf forward and change whenever he wants to. He learned how to balance his inner wolf and coexist."

"How?"

"Close your eyes."

Buffy did as she was asked, closing her eyes and felt his fingers close around her biceps.

"I could feel you with Tara the other day," His thumbs traced circles on her arms. "She's got quite a skill at getting those around her to be calm, sneaky witch. She teach you breathing techniques?"

Buffy hmm'd in response, her eyes closing as she concentrated on her breathing, shoulders already relaxing. She tried to remember the guidance Tara had given her to connect herself to the earth, centering herself and uplifting her energy and only vaguely felt her mate's fingers slip from her arms.

"You can feel those with power around you no doubt. An' you know when some new beastie tries to sneak up on you."

His voice echoed in the cavern as he moved, his tone and presence sending the hairs on the back of her neck straight up, tingles shooting down her back.

"Yes."

With her eyes closed she turned her head to face him in the cavern, knowing exactly where he was standing because of the energy and strength that radiated from him.

"Use those same senses to feel that power within yourself."

Her face scrunched up in confusion.

"Just like Oz, your strength comes from within. It's always niggling at the edges of your subconscious, just itching to be let out. I know you're scared-"

"You're connected to the earth, born from it, warm and safe. Nothing can penetrate your bubble of light, not darkness or any evil spirits that seek to hinder you."

Buffy concentrated on her breathing, listening to Spikes voice, but also hearing Tara's soft tones in her own as she searched for the primal side of herself that lie dormant within.

"But she's a part of you, luv."

She couldn't stop the tremor of fear that went through her at the thought of letting her inner demon to the surface. What if she lost all control and went after Giles again? What if she went after Willows baby?

Oh gods no!

"Relax, pet."

Spike's fingers were around her biceps again, running soothing circles over her skin as he helped calm her.

Right! Inner demons. Breathing. Concentrate!

With her eyes closed she turned her thoughts inwards, catching wisps of small pulses of energy that rushed from her chest to her fingertips. Her body pulsed, muscles trembling as her stomach dropped, something inside her shifting and making its way to the surface. Just like water crashing down on an ocean shoreline, her body rippled with energy.

"Course, if this doesn't work there are always other ways to get her to come out to-"

She captured his wrists with reflexes that startled even her, opening her eyes to meet his grinning face.

"There she is."

Blue eyes met gold.

They were locked in a stare, neither breaking eye contact before she blinked and slowly loosened her grip on his wrists.

"Someone doesn't like not being in control." Spike singsonged playfully, chuckling at the growl she let out.

Letting his wrist go, she rolled her shoulders, grinning at the pulse of strength that ran through her. She could feel her muscles itching to move, her body desperately wanting to exert all the pent up energy that she had been withholding since she had first been chosen.

"Don't..." Her voice held a slight tremor as he stepped forward again.

"Shall we dance?"

His smirk and raised eyebrow as he circled her had her biting her lip in anticipation, body automatically slipping into a defensive stance.

"I don't want to hurt you."

The predatory gleam that formed in his eyes had her grinning back.

"I've got years on you, luv."

He jolted forward, arms moving to punch her just as her own shot up in reflex to his assault. She pushed back with the same movements, getting used to the gestures and stances again. Her new boots gripped the dirt beneath her beautifully, allowing her to push back from the balls of her feet as she bent to kick him.

"Someone's done this before." Spike singsonged again, speeding up his movements and using a little bit more force behind each punch and thrust.

"I've been training since I was born." She grinned back, matching him equally move for move, her new suit adjusting to her quick movements.

"Let's kick it up a notch then."

The cavern was filled with their grunts and smacks as fists and legs came into contact with one another in a flurry of movements. Spike did indeed have years of experience on her in this particular dance and seemed to match her move for move, the gleam in his eyes doing nothing but excite her.

He was enjoying this.

Her new suit absorbed the brunt of his kicks and punches that he landed to her arms and torso and more than once did she send a silent thank you towards Willow for her magics. The leather moved with her, tightening itself to her body when she bent low to spin or jump.

She had Spike's arm in a hold, her chest nearly flush to his back and felt him groan. Tilting her head to whisper in his ear, she grinned.

"Do you yield?"

"Never."

His foot connected with her shin, sending her stumbling back as he spun to rush her again. They sparred together, Spike gaining the upper hand for moments before she would knock his grip from hers only to start the dance again. Sweat was dripping from her hairline, running a thin trail from her neck to chest and more than once did she catch her mate staring at the glistening line above her bust.

Watching his gaze, she was caught off guard as he pushed her back against the cavern wall, emitting an 'oomph' upon impact. He dropped his mouth to her neck, groaning as he licked the sweat from her skin. Eyes fluttering closed at his ministrations, her hands found purchase on his hips and pulled him forward.

There was no need for words, his mouth and hands doing all the talking as they roamed her body. Her lips met his in a heated kiss, one leg lifting to allow his hips to push forward. The gasp and groan that escaped her had him growling, hands moving to her breasts and the fastenings of her suit.

"What the bleedin' hell!"

The frustrated exclamation had her giggling, dropping her leg to watch as he moved, leaning back to properly see how to undo her fastenings. His fingers gripped the laces, pulling them apart, but no sooner had he reached the second fastening was the first doing back up.

"What the fu-"

"Willow."

He sent her a glare, eyeing the laces as they tied themselves back up, suit pulling tight to her skin once more.

"Bloody witch is stopping me from ravaging you good and proper."

His glare was kinda cute, and she smiled, her own fingers playing with the laces before her face took a serious turn.

"She stopped the possibility of anyone from ravaging me."

Slowly lifting her head she met his eyes, the air thick between them as he processed her words.

"She might just get a kiss from me, yet. C'mere, luv."

Spike pulled her forward off from the wall, taking her hand in his.

"Angelus still has the prophecy and-"

"He won' lay a finger on you." His fingers pushed her chin up, lips meeting hers in a tender kiss. "You're mine."

"It won't come off unless I command it to. It's one of the requirements of the suit."

It seemed their training session done for the day as Spike led her from the room, their ascending trip up the winding staircase a lot faster than their trip down. Walking the halls of the castle they made it to his chambers, his hand resting on the small of her back as she entered the room. Another fire had been lit and the room was warm, her body still sweating and full of pent up energy.

"Promise me you'll never take it off. If... If he takes you... Don' ever remove this...."

His voice shook, his hand pushing back the tangled mass that was her hair from her neck.

"Spike-"

"Promise me."

"I promise."

His kiss was desperate, hands grabbing her hips to pull her forward. The kisses he trailed down her neck had her eyes rolling into the back of her neck, soft lips finding their way to her claim mark. His voice was rough and she knew his demon had come to the surface. They walked towards the bed, limbs locked around each other.

"You're mine."

Pushing him back with a playful shove, she grinned at seeing the confused look cross his face when he hit the mattress, human visage melting back into place. Closing her eyes she felt for the ripple of energy that echoed through her body, rolling her shoulders before opening her eyes.

Blue eyes met gold.

"Romovere vestes..."