For Buffy, the last two days had gone by in a blur. Most of her time had been consumed by researching. Spending hours on end re-reading her fathers scrolls and parchments as well as new texts and books that Giles had in his library. The documents were providing little in the way of new information, most of which she already knew and some of which they had predicted. She was of the chosen bloodline, one of the select few people within her family that had a deep connection to the first in the line, Sineya.

Buffy had already fulfilled one prophecy by becoming, being infused with powers and in doing so another prophecy had rolled into place. One where she was destined to be fatally wounded, left to bleed out and die.

Her stomach tightened at the growl Spike sent her through their bond.

"Potentially die then." She quipped quietly, shaking her head and the thought from her mind.

The two women fussing about her outfit didn't seem to hear her and continued their work as she lost herself in thought once again.

The hours that weren't spent in the library researching were spent beneath the castle training. It was mostly in the mornings after breakfast that her energy seemed to peak. Her mate gave no hesitation to her needs when it came to working that energy off and was in fact rather enthusiastic about her training requests. They sparred for hours at a time, both lost to the rhythm of their unique dance.

Spike challenged her in ways that no other had before, making her fathers training sessions look like a walk in the woods in comparison and she found herself exhausted after each session, her energy utterly spent.

Calling her primal side forward was getting easier with each attempt and even now; standing in Tara's room as she and Willow helped Buffy slip into her gown, could she feel the undercurrent of power running through her. Willow had asked her earlier what it felt like and she had responded with the only word that came to mind that described the sensation. Ripples. The strength and power that ran through her body felt like small ripples that were always on the tips of her fingers, just waiting to be called upon.

On reflex, her hand curled into a fist and she took a few deep breaths to push back the rising need to bring her strength forward. Learning the balance between the two was difficult, but Spike assured her that over time it would become second nature.

"You're going to be the talk of the gathering tonight." Tara murmured as she walked around Buffy to tighten the laces of her corset. Her hands worked at the lacing's and more than once did she gasp at the feel of her body being forced up-right. Tara finished tying the laces and bent to swish the skirts of her gown before adjusting the straps on her shoulders. "Spike w-won't be able to take his eyes off of you."

A blush rose to Buffy's cheeks, turning into a crimson flush when the memory of her morning training session hit her.

Their sessions over the last few days always seemed to end the same way, with both of them panting and lusting for the other. Their bond had strengthened considerably over the last forty-eight hours, but the thrill of the fight as they pushed and challenged each other's skill-set only heightened the need to feel the others skin pressed against their own.

Her mate would let out frustrated groans at being unable to remove her clothing, but seemed quite pleased to lie back and watch as she whispered her command, her suit unlacing itself. His eyes always formed a predatory gleam that sent shivers through her, a look that she was becoming quite fond of as the suit slipped from her skin with an ease and grace that had him licking his lips.

Their relationship was developing quickly, a friendship that was fast becoming something more. Spike was a very complex being. He acted differently around her than those he called family and it was clear to Buffy that when it was just the two of them alone he was capable of showing more emotion than she thought humanly possible. He was affectionate and gentle, traits that had her stomach turning in nerves. A demon shouldn't be capable of feeling such things. When she had asked him about his ability to love without a soul Spike had simply smiled, tucked the hair behind her ears and whispered sadly as if he was recalling a memory.

"Just because I don't have a soul doesn' mean I can't love. Humans do terrible things all the time even with souls. Vampires we... we can love quite well... if not wisely."

Each night since their claiming Spike would hold her until she fell asleep, his fingers threading themselves through her hair as his body curled around hers. It was hard to push past her training and the teachings her parents had spent years ingraining upon her. Demons were bad and needed to be killed, but Buffy was fast learning that it wasn't always the case. Oz was a werewolf, a creature that was held sway by the moon and yet he had shown her nothing but kindness since her arrival. In another time she would have killed him on sight simply for what he was and not who he was.

These were the thoughts that kept Buffy up at night, her brows constantly furrowing as she lie awake torn and confused.

Everything wasn't black and white.

There were so many shades of grey to the world that she had yet to see.

Spike had taken longer to show his true colours to her, their first meeting being jarring and abrupt, but even he had opened her eyes to the harsh truths of the world. There was no doubt in her mind that she was beginning to care for Spike a great deal. There was no point in fighting of denying his affections towards her as it only made him work harder for them.

The sensation and feel of joy was not one was accustomed to feeling.

Happiness was bubbling up inside her, surrounding her in its warmth.

She was content.

So why couldn't she shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen?

Buffy bit her lip and scrunched her brows together. She was finding it increasingly harder to push Spike out of her thoughts, her mind always laid open to him like a book. He was more difficult to read and only when she was in the same room as him could she pick up his thoughts and get images. Everything else was just a feeling or sensation.

His friends had become a surrogate family to her. Giles was fast becoming a father figure in her life while Willow, Oz and Tara were the friends she had never had as a child, but always longed for. Little baby Oliver was the tiniest being she had ever laid eyes on and she always felt a slight tremor of fear run through her when he was around.

For a long time Buffy had accepted that her parents would never have any more children and that she was to remain an only child. After her capture by Angelus and Drusilla; and the horrors that they had put her through, she had almost wished that she was barren. She still could be. The thought of having children scared her and it wasn't just the thought of childbirth itself.

She bit her lip and glanced towards Willow, who was fussing over her hair.

She feared hurting him.

And perhaps that was why she had yet to hold Oliver in her own arms. She pushed the thought from her mind and glanced down at her gown, the gold material shining against the candlelight in the room.

However, if Giles and Spike's discovery about the Slayer was true, then they would have her to believe that she wouldn't die from a stomach wound as the prophecy depicted.

Instead, she was to give birth to a child.

A hybrid.

Spike's child.

"You want to join me any time soon, Buffy?"

Willow was waving a hand in front of her face and she blushed.

"Sorry! Lost in my own thoughts tonight."

"That's ok, I totally get it. It's a lot to take in, but I think the gown is finally finished and as long as you don't mind crowds you'll be fine." Willow giggled, helping Tara fix the last strap on her shoulder.

"H-how many people are coming?"

"Well Spike has a lot of land and we usually invite all the tenants to the gathering so it can get kinda noisy. Some who have older children chose to leave them behind to mind the youngings, but with Angelus and Drusilla on the loose we thought it best to invite everyone... We don't want anyone's homes ransacked or ch-"

"He has a thing for young girls...." Visions of Angelus burning homes and slaughtering young children sent a shiver down Buffy's spine.

"So I'd say nearly eighty people?"

"Oh!" Buffy squeaked out, eyes going wide. "E-Eighty people. That's uhh... that's a lot. I'm not-"

"Y-you'll be fine. If I can manage it s-so can you." Tara stammered, offering her a look of support which did little to sooth her nerves.

"I'm not so good with people."

"You'll be fine. Spike will do most of the talking and Oz collects the rents for him. We'll be left to sit, eat and dance. Oh you'll love the music!"

"D-dancing?"

"Can't you dance?" Willow stepped back with a smile on her face, eyeing Buffy's gown and their masterpiece.

"My parents taught me how to fight..." Buffy raised one eyebrow as Tara stepped back to take in her whole form as well. "I've been held captive for the last two years.... So no, dancing hasn't been high up there with things for me to learn."

"Sorry." Willow whispered, ducking her head.

Shit

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for that to come out like that. I just... a lot has happened in the last few weeks and it's all a bit overwhelming. I'm not good with big crowds and no, I can't dance."

"S-Spike will teach you. I doubt the lady of the house can get away with not participating in her own party." Tara grimaced at seeing the look that crossed Buffy's face.

"I can't dance."

"That's what you said about calling your primal side forward and look at you now." Willow grinned, pointing to her eyes.

"I don't like being boxed into corners." Buffy harrumphed, letting out a sigh and running her hands down the golden material of her gown as she reigned back her power. "How do I look?"

"Dancing can wait until later. You," Willow beamed, walking around Buffy in a circle. "Look amazing."

"W-we don't like to use magics for everyday tasks, but neither of us could have sewn this together this fast w-without it." Tara smiled, nervously biting her lip and looking towards Willow.

"It's white magic, not dark. The mother won't see it as abuse of power." Willow offered Tara a gentle smile.

Buffy saw a look pass between them, one that she dared not ask about and pushed the thought aside. The materials she had selected from the village a few days prior had been sewn together to create a gown that was more grandeur than she could have ever envisioned. Only once had she seen her mother dressed in something so fine and for a moment she wondered if they looked anything alike.

The gown itself was floor length, with golden filigree threaded throughout. It was cinched in at her waist, her waistline accentuated due to the corset she wore beneath. The back was high, covering the scars that marred her skin, once again thankful to the two witches who seemed to already know what she was and was not comfortable showing. It had cap sleeves that had little bows of gold attached to the shoulders with a sash running down the sides of the gown. She felt like a princess and couldn't stop the butterflies that fluttered about in her stomach. The girls had managed to tame her tangled mass of hair and rather than pin it up; something Spike had wanted as it showed his claiming mark, they had loosened it in waves about her shoulders.

"I think you're ready." Willow smiled, nodding approvingly at their work.

"W-we'll see you down there." Tara stammered, walking with Buffy to the door.

They went there separate ways in the hallway, Tara going to her own room to finish getting ready and Buffy to Spikes room. Their room. It wasn't just his anymore. Spike had taken it upon himself to make his room as comfortable and livable for her as it could be. He was always conscious about the room's temperature and made sure a fire was always lit should she want to spend her time there. He'd had a big basin brought in and set to the side of the fire for her to bathe in so she wouldn't have to go to another room in the castle to wash and had a second chest placed at the end of their bed for her to put her things in.

When she walked into the room, the warmth from the fire creating a flush on her skin, her breath hitched and she stopped in her tracks. Spike was standing in the center of the room fastening the last loops of his belt. He looked incredible. Gone was the standard pants and dress shirt that she was used to seeing him in, instead he was covered head to toe in black leather. Black leather pants fit him like a second skin, with boots that rose up to his thighs. His jacket was fashioned together from a few different leathers and had different patterns laid into the front and arms. It was held together by leather buckles across his chest with another belt looped over the top around his waist. He had thrown a fur sleeveless coat that ran to the floor over the top and his empowering silhouette had her frozen in place.

He wasn't just Spike anymore, he was a leader. The master of his house and owner of a large estate. Tonight was about impact and power and he exuded that with his look.

Just as she was taking in his form, Spike was taking in hers, his eyes fixed in a dazzling gaze on the golds of her gown and her hair as it cascaded past her shoulders to drop across her back.

"You're a vision in gold, luv."

"You... uh-"

She had no words, a blush forming on her face as her mate chuckled, walking towards her to lay a kiss on her cheek. He stepped behind her, hand slipping into the pocket of his jacket before pulling something out and draping it across her neck. The contact against her skin made her jump, the item cold and heavy.

"Perfect."

Her fingers automatically went to her neck where Spike had latched together a silver chain. The jewels glistened in the firelight and she let out a gasp. No one had ever given her something so beautiful before and she couldn't stop the tears that formed in her eyes.

She wished her parents were here to see her dressed up as she was.

Spike felt her pain and placed his hands on either side of her hips, pulling her close to rest his forehead against hers. He didn't need to say anything, just being held within his arms had the trembling of her lip and the tears she was fighting ease.

"Thank you. It's beautiful."

"Shall we?" Spike stepped back and held out his forearm for her to take.

Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for the gathering that had begun beneath them. All of Spike's tenants had been slowly arriving for the last half an hour with Oz already below collecting the rents and making sure each guest was seated with food and drink. Opening her eyes she hesitantly placed her hand across his arm and nodded.

"You'll do fine." His other hand came up to give her fingers a reassuring squeeze as they exited the room, making their way down the hall. "Something will have to be done about your lack of skill when it comes to dancing though." Spike smirked, his tone suggesting something more as in image of her faltering in her movements from their training session that morning assaulted her.

"I can dance quite well thank you very much." She jibed back, eyes narrowing as she sent him the image of her tripping his legs out from beneath him with a kick causing him to land on his back that morning.

"I'll be with you every step of the way tonight."

His tone shifted again, carrying with it a weight of what she was feeling.

His hand squeezed hers.

"I know."

They stopped in front of the double doors to the ballroom and Buffy once again closed her eyes and took a deep and calming breath. Slowly the creaking of the doors as they opened was heard just as the lights and noise of the party assaulted them.