Disclaimer and Notes: see Prologue
Spike’s brain
 
by Belladonna
 
~Chapter 7~
Where no V.A.M.P. has gone before
 
“I am seeing it and I still don’t believe it!”
 
Buffy was sitting down on the sofa, hard. She gaped at the small television screen in front of her and the vampire on it. Well, rather in it at that moment, but who cared. It had been Xander who had spoken and that way temporarily lost his previous intention of hitting Spike for the stunt he obviously had pulled to get Buffy into performing in that stupid music video.
 
“Well, better start believing it, for I can’t bloody change it without your help!” Spike spat from the screen. He hated having to ask them for help and he wouldn’t have done it if it hadn’t been the only way. But he still would die first before begging to them.
 
“W-what do you expect us to do, Spike?” Tara asked quietly from the other side of the room. She had been the only one not joining in the cursing tirade the others had thrown at the vampire.
 
“Change me back, what do you think?” Spike told her angrily, clearly not having adjusted fully to his new state of being. “I’ve been stuck here in the bloody telly for way too long now. Did you know that there’s a hundred channels out here and nothing good’s on?”
 
“Er, no.” Willow was confused. Buffy continued to stare at the screen, transfixed by these deep blue eyes looking back at her.
 
“And quit staring at me, Slayer, ‘m not a bloody zoo animal!”
 
“Huh? Sorry, I didn’t mean to.” Buffy looked up to him, then shrugged the insecurities off and smiled brightly and lovingly at him. “Well, come to think of it…”
 
“Stop this instantly!” Xander yelled. Having seen the video on the screen hadn’t been enough torture for him, one which he still didn’t know that it wasn’t real, no he now was forced to watch them bickering in real this time and looking too cuddly for his comfort by doing it. And added to this, he still was mentally scarred once again from that scene in the Bronze earlier. Besides as long as Spike stayed on the screen, and Xander had absolutely no clue as to how he had gotten there in the first place, he couldn’t hurt the vampire for that video. If that really was Spike there and not some phony trick of the Nerds that was.
 
“How can we be sure that this is really Spike there?” He asked instead. “I mean with the Nerds and their electric toys this could be another trick of them…”
 
“Bleedin’ idiot!” Spike snarled. “They put me in here so undo it and get me the hell out!!”
 
“They did what?”
 
“Putting me in here, or did you think I’d just jumped into the telly to have me a good time?” Spike said sarcastically.
 
“Yeah, I got that. But how?” Buffy asked the vampire. Was he still a vampire anymore, there in 3D on the screen?
 
“What do I look like, the king of nerds?” Spike told her angrily. “I’m a vampire, not a computer specialist. Would I really be still here if I knew how they did it? I’d be out of here in a second, which is why I need you to find that out for me. Now will you go and get me out of here?!”
 
“Uh, of course. But I still do have there some things I need to find out.” Willow turned herself towards the trapped vampire. Since computers and all that technical stuff were her department after all, she would be the one who needed to come up with something useful. And since she didn’t want to use any magicks anymore…
 
“This isn’t something magickal, is it?” She asked Spike who tentatively shook his head.
 
“I’m a vampire, not a magician, pet. How am I to know?”
 
The Spike on the screen then rolled with his eyes, clearly impatient. Why were they still there gaping at him and not over their books or whatever research they needed to figure out how to make him leave the screen and rejoin his body? Come to think of that body…
 
“By the way, you wouldn’t happen to know what has happened to my body now, would you? Last time I saw me, I was sitting in my crypt and watching the telly.” Spike wanted to know, dreading the answer already.
 
“Actually, that’s a funny story…” Xander began but got cut off by Buffy.
 
“Believe me, you don’t want to know.”
 
“What?!” Didn’t she know that this phrase wasn’t exactly helping in easing the curiosity but instead increasing it? “What has happened?! It’s not dust, is it?”
 
“Of course not and nothing has happened, really. Only that we saw you at the Bronze earlier tonight and… “Buffy stalled but then remembered something else. “What the hell was that video anyway?!”
 
“I was only trying to find a way to communicate with you…” Spike returned, ignoring the other’s fazed looks of disbelief at his use of vocabulary. “I was where?!”
 
“At the Bronze.” Dawn pouted. “Where you apparently have forgotten that you wanted to help me with my homework.”
 
“I wasn’t near the bloody Bronze tonight!” Spike shouted. “I was stuck inside the television screen trying to get out! Did I mention already that there wasn’t anything good on, too?”
 
“Well, we saw you and the whole bunch of drooling girls there too.” Anya said, smiling brightly. “Could you teach Xander to dance like you did? I want to impress the guests at our wedding with him.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Which reminds me, how did you get Buffy to participate in that video? I mean that was really good and I kinda wanted to do something similar for our wedding party.” Anya continued unimpressed by Spike’s rather blank and disbelieving look on his face. Buffy’s face had rather turned really, really red although she’d wanted to find that out too. Since it certainly had not been her in that video, right? - Because she definitely couldn’t recall any memory of taping that with Spike. Not that she wouldn’t have minded doing it.
 
“Uh, you saw that?” Spike asked sheepishly; if he still had been able to blush, he probably might have turned redder than Buffy. If that also would have been possible, that was.
 
“Yes, we saw that. “Xander told him. “And don’t think that being in the television does save you from me hurting you seriously for that. The good thing is, at least nobody else saw that.”
 
***
 
“I’m gonna kill him. I’m gonna take him down for good now.” Angel rambled, while he was running a hole into the carpet. “How dare he touch what’s mine?!”
 
“Please Angel, be reasonable.” Wesley said to the enraged vampire who was pacing inside the lobby of the Hyperion. The former Watcher followed him with his eyes out of fear of him breaking something valuable while he still was that furious. It wasn’t like he hadn’t done that before. Also he was slowly but steadily getting kinda sea sick because of it.
 
The others only watched Angel’s frantic raving with growing fascination. With the exception of Cordelia of course, they all had not the slightest idea as to why the vampire was that mad at all, her having been there during the whole destined-to-be-doomed relationship he’d had with Buffy, the girl in the video.
 
“Wesley’s right, Angel.” Cordelia joined in trying to be the voice of reason, though she was also a little mad. How come Buffy was fighting evil demons all the time and still looking like she’d walked right out of a beauty commercial? “I mean, what good does it do to rush right into Sunnydale and beat the living crap out of Spike? Not that you wouldn’t love to do that.”
 
“I don’t know. “Angel replied, having a really diabolical gleam in his eyes when he turned back towards them. “But I sure will feel a lot better afterwards.”
 
***
 
“Warren, you are awesome.” Andrew started again to continue his open admiration for the other. Warren, of course never tired of hearing it. He led the vampire into the back of the room once they had returned home to stash him there until they would need him again.
 
“Of course I am, moron.” Warren replied, grinning victoriously. He had managed to get to the Slayer, to deal out a first blow and she hadn’t been able to fight against it. Life was damn good these days, he thought to himself.
 
And he was king of the world now.
 
Well, granted it was a fairly small world and so far his kingdom consisted only of the basement of his house, but who was he to bad-mouth it as long as he had it?
 
Anyway, back to the scenery. Tonight he had accomplished something they’d dreamed of and Warren continued to bathe in their awed stares. He put a blanket over the vampire, just in case someone would come down here or should there be a single ray of light coming down into the ever dark lair of The Super Villains and destroy their new and ultimate weapon against the Slayer. Which of course would never happen unless Hell froze over first, but hey since they were in Sunnydale it didn’t hurt to be sure now did it?
 
“We did it! We did it, Warren.” Jonathan exclaimed with that a bright smile that Warren now was grateful for the blanket over the vampire. “So, what are we gonna do next, hm? And what are we gonna do with him?” He pointed over to where Spike’s body stood, leaned against the wall.
 
“Oh, yeah, Warren!” Andrew was bouncing around like a hyperactive gummy ball so that Warren feared he might hit something valuable of his technical equipment. “I mean, we do have still plans with him? This hasn’t been it, has it? ‘cause that would be soo lame.”
 
“We have still plans with him, I am not giving him up yet.” Warren told him, mentally adding some more colourful idioms for moron for that boy. “You think that was it?”
 
“Of course not!” Andrew had at least the decency to look ashamed at this. How could he have questioned their glorious leader? “But I mean, I thought…”
 
“That is our problem. We shouldn’t be thinking but instead more doing.” Warren said, sitting down in his chair like it would be the throne in his small kingdom. He smiled generously towards them before he continued. “And now that we have the perfect tool in our hands, there is nothing that we haven’t thought of that we can’t do now.”
 
“Well, come to think of it…”
 
“Shut up. Where was I, ah yes, the plan.” Warren growled, couldn’t this moron finally learn it that he shouldn’t interrupt him? “Now that we have Spike, we can take the Slayer down. And, we’ve proved it to her that we are capable of doing so just well.”
 
“I don’t want to interrupt your great plan, Warren, but she didn’t know that it was us remote controlling Spike.” Jonathan added, ducking again from the wrath of Warren.
 
“She didn’t, but she will know. I just want to have some fun with him first.”
 
“Eww!!!”

”WHAT?! Are you completely nuts?” Warren stood up and smacked both Andrew and Jonathan hard over their heads. They didn’t really think what he thought they’d had, did they? “I meant to use him in the next phase of the plan!”
 
“Ah!” The relief that washed over the other boys’ faces was almost visible then and Warren rolled his eyes, disbelievingly. “So, what’s next, oh great one.”
 
“You’d better get used to calling me that, for what’s next is greater than all we thought of before.” Warren said in a mysterious voice. “First we had him get the Slayer embarrassed in front of her whole friends, and the whole Bronze as well, but that doesn’t count; and now we shift over to Phase Two.”
 
“I hope you have that more thought through than the Phase Two from Trek was, since it never made it to the screen at all.” Andrew wanted to know, giving more proof to him being the thoroughly geek he was. Warren rolled his eyes again. He felt a small headache begin building inside his skull.
 
“That’s all great Warren and all that, but what is Phase Two?” Jonathan added, getting impatient now. Also he wanted to watch his taped Trek marathon sometime tonight. He motioned once more towards the blanket covered vampire. “And more important, what are we going to do with him this time?”
 
 “Now, my fellow Super Villains, we’re gonna make him talk.” Warren said, using this diabolical fiendish voice again.
 
***
 
“Okay, all we know is that Spike somehow got zapped into the television and is trapped there.” Xander summed up for those who hadn’t understood already the dilemma of the vampire. Which of course had only been him and the fool proof evidence of it was still glaring back at him from said television screen.
 
“Yeah, right, skip that. What we really want to know is how I can get out of here.” Spike said sarcastically, throwing a dirty look towards the boy.
 
“I don’t know about you, Buffy, but do we really want that?” Xander ignored him and spoke to Buffy instead. Spike muttered some curses under his non-existent breath.
 
“Of course we want that!” Dawn spat angrily and made every attempt to hit Xander wouldn’t she have been held back by her sister and Willow. “I want my Spike back!”
 
“We all want him back, Dawnie.” Willow calmed the teen down, sending a sour look towards Xander who still was oblivious to the obvious mistake he had made.
 
“Yeah, nibblet. Don’t worry about old Spike here.” Spike addressed the kid. He smiled reassuringly and looked directly at her. “Why don’t you go upstairs and get some sleep, you need to go to school tomorrow. Everything’ll be okay.”
 
“You promise?” Dawn glanced hopefully towards him. She didn’t want to think of the possibility of Spike remaining trapped in the television, something the others obviously hadn’t thought of. And that made her mad, but she also didn’t want to scare Spike. How utterly stupid that sounded, her being able to scare the Big Bad himself.
 
“I do, sweet bit. Goodnight.” Spike would’ve given his right arm right now to take the teen in his arms and assure her that he would be alright and that there would be nothing to be afraid of and he’d given a damn about the audience right now but in his current condition he couldn’t even give that small comfort to her. Spike knew that she’d probably be the only one of the whole lot that was truly affected by this and scared to loose him, well maybe Buffy too, but of that he wasn’t so sure. And to be honest, Spike was scared already. If they didn’t find a way to help him, he’d have to turn to the Nerds for help, something they’d surely give him. And what if they didn’t know of any way to reverse this? Spike shook his head, that were just too many if’s already. He took a quick glance towards where Dawn had left, to make sure that she was gone then he spoke again to the Scoobies.
 
“Alright, the kid’s gone. Now you lot can go back to being honest.” He told them bluntly and the downcast glances of all of them told him enough, in fact more that he’d wanted to hear. “You have absolutely no idea what has happened or how to reverse it, right?”
 
“Well…”
 
“Save your breath, it isn’t worth it.” Spike said miserably, shrinking visibly inside the television screen. Tara, who stood next to him now, gently patted the plastic cover of the screen.
 
“We will find a way to help you, we’ll have you out there in no time.” She told him and nodded enthusiastically to it. Spike looked up to her, a hopeful glimmer in his eyes.
 
“You do?”
 
“Well, first we’ll have to find out how exactly you got in there, but then it’ll be no problem at all.” She explained, looking towards the others for help and assurance.
 
“Yes, and you will be good as new, unless you get some damage from one of these daytime reality shows which are really boring anyways.” Anya added, smiling brightly. All of them, including the Spike on the screen rolled with their eyes at that.
 
“Shouldn’t you be long gone off for research anyways?” Spike whined after a moment of silence.
 
“We should, which brings me to another question, why should we do that again?” Xander smiled evilly, knowing well that it would make the trapped vampire angry. But damn, he just couldn’t resist that opportunity and if he couldn’t hurt him severely for that earlier stunt with the video he at least could do his best to get on the vampire’s nerves.
 
“Because Dawn would be really mad at you?” Spike shot back, getting impatient and not only with that boy.
 
“Yeah, I wonder why that is.” Xander said thoughtfully. “I wonder why you keep being nice to her. I can’t believe that whole thing would be for getting into Buffy’s pants.”
 
“Been there, done that.” Spike spat back, tiring of the whelp’s constant mistrust against him. “I am nice to Dawn because she’s my friend and she doesn’t treat me like an idiot like you do when the others are around. Do they know about us being friends when none of them can see us? That we play pool together? And that you actually like my company?”
 
“I thought we’d leave that between us.” Xander stuttered nervously and at least had the good grace to look embarrassed. He also seemed to have just missed that first comment of Spike’s since he was not laying on the floor with a coronary. “Nobody should know about that.”
 
“Well, we do now.” Buffy told him, having found her voice back. “We will find a way to help you Spike, don’t worry. But if the Nerds really did that, why don’t we go to them and make them reverse it?”
 
“Good idea, pet. You’ll do that since you are best buddies with the three geeks and they’ll undo this out of the generousness of their hearts.” Spike made a face. “Hasn’t it occurred to you that they might be following some plan with that?”
 
“But it was only an idea…” Buffy began pouting and Spike already felt sorry for his rather harsh words.
 
“Guess that means more research or rather research in the first place. We will find a way without asking these idiots. Still, looking for them sounds good also.” Willow said, taking her girlfriend’s hand in hers. “Maybe we should ask Giles if he knows something.”
 
“Er, I’d hate to be the one telling you that, well, actually I don’t, but that isn’t the point. Isn’t Giles back in the motherland? Spike asked curiously.
 
“We’ll just have to phone him out of the bed.” Buffy told him, setting her jaw firmly and putting on her own resolve face. Spike would’ve instantly fallen in love again if he didn’t already love her more than his un-life that was. “I want my Spike back, too. And I just didn’t say that out loud.”
 
Yes, you did and I loved hearing it, Spike added mentally, holding back another response about the time difference and that it probably would be breakfast for the Watcher rather than late at night.
 
“Why are we still here then? Let’s go hit the books; I wanted to have sex with Xander sometime tonight.” Anya ushered them out of the house, still wearing that smile that almost went around her head.
 
***
 
Inside the Nerd’s Lair, the first tries of making Spike talk had been rather unsuccessful. Translation for that meaning that they hadn’t been able to make him talk at all. Not even a single word had come out of his mouth, despite every effort the three Nerds had put up. Needless to say that this had discouraged them extremely.
 
The object of their talking project stood in the middle of the room, wearing the same headset like before, the control interface only modified with some small speakers and microphones. He also had a rather blank look inside his eyes, deader and sunken and his skin seemed to be paler than before.
 
“This won’t work, Warren.” Andrew whined, all admiration from previously forgotten.
 
“It will work.” Warren insisted. These small-minded idiots; oh, how fast did they forget. And that small headache from earlier? Well, let’s just say that it had increased steadily from that point on. “We just have to try something different this time.”
 
“We’ve already tried thousands of different things.” Jonathan told him, looking impatiently at his wrist watch. The boy still hoped for a quick ending of this whole setting so that he could go to his video session he’d planned for the evening.
 
“Well, we’ll just have to try something else then.” Warren snapped angrily at him. “It cannot be that hard to make him talk. What about implanting a mike somewhere?”
 
“That’s neat, Warren. But we still need to have his voice to make it work, his original voice.” Jonathan said, poking his finger at the vamp. “Otherwise Buffy’ll never believe that it is him.”
 
“Yeah, especially not after the show we’ve seen inside the crypt or the Bronze. She didn’t even object to kissing him.” Andrew added, already displaying a dopey grin on his face at the memory.
 
“Which means that she must be doing that for a while now.” Warren thought out loud. “Something else to use in my great plan.”
 
“Er, our plan, Warren.”
 
“What? Ah, yes, right, our plan.” He put an extra emphasis on that stupid ‘our’. But hadn’t it been his plan, his very own plan and now it was theirs, too?
 
“Still, he’s as silent as the dead.” Warren continued to ramble. “So, how can we make him talk?”
 
Both Jonathan and Andrew chose not to remind their comrade of the fact that the vampire already was dead, therefore entitled to being silent as said dead ones. Suddenly Warren snapped with his fingers, a light bulb flashing above his head.
 
“I’ve got it!!”
 
“So, oh great one, what is that brilliant idea of yours?” Jonathan asked sarcastically. Warren chose to ignore that for the moment, but filing it away inside his mind for later punishment for that insolence.
 
“If we cannot make him talk, why bother.”
 
“Huh?! And why have we been trying to do exactly that for the past HOURS?”
 
“Why do we need this one to talk when we have one that talks perfectly already?” Warren asked them, smiling superiorly. “We just need to get him here, which shouldn’t be that difficult. Since he is supposed to be exactly where we have left him, inside the crypt’s television.”
 
***
 
“Alright, I quit.” Buffy closed the book with a loud thud, giving in to her frustrations. “We’ve looked in about every single book Giles has in the store and found nothing! There’s got to be something inside these lousy books that can help Spike or at least us figure out what has happened.”
 
“Actually they are my books now, the ones I have in my store.” Anya corrected absently while scanning several pages of the books in her pile.
 
“We should ask Giles, maybe he’ll know what to do.” Willow offered. She also had found nothing that would explain at least a bit what had happened. Spike’s explanation of the Nerds sudden appearance in his crypt had not been very helpful since he’d already been inside the television then and alas had not seen how they’d done it.
 
What left them where they’d started. With nothing.
 
Buffy went to get the telephone and dialled Giles’ number. It wasn’t long before he answered.
 
“WHOEVER THIS IS, I HOPE IT IS IMPORTANT!”
 
“Uh, Giles, hello to you too.” Buffy stuttered rather surprised. She hadn’t expected him to nearly wanting to strangle her through the telephone.
 
“Oh, Buffy, I erm, I am sorry, I didn’t know it was you.” Came the embarrassed reply through the speaker.
 
“So I’ve noticed.” Buffy replied, grinning to herself. “But there was a reason why I called that late…or is it early? I don’t know about the time difference and somebody should have reminded me of that and…”
 
“Buffy, is everything alright with Dawn?” Giles asked worriedly. He knew his Slayer and she never babbled like this unless there was something seriously wrong with those she loved.
 
“With Dawn? Yah, she’s alright, why do you ask that?” Buffy wanted to know. Why would Giles assume that something was wrong with Dawn? “She’s her annoying self as usual. But we have a problem with Spike and need your help with it…”
 
“SPIKE?! I’ll be on the next plane over to Sunnydale!” Giles’ voice rose at the thought of his Slayer and the impending danger coming from her nemesis. “Don’t say nothing, he’s got the chip out and now he’s threatening you all, trying to kill you and he’s already gone back to his old and villainous habits and….why are you laughing? Is that laughing I hear in the background??”
 
Buffy had sometime during his rant put the phone on the loud speakers and by now all of them were nearly laying on the floor, doubled over from laughter at that. Only for a short moment though, then the truth returned back to their minds and they laughed some more, remembering the scene at the Bronze and the poor unsuspecting Watcher’s comment about Spike going back to his threatening old habits.
 
“No laughter, Giles:” Buffy tried to compose herself but failing miserably at it. “There’s no laughing at all, we’re totally laugh-free here. But we have a problem with Spike…”

”You’ve said that already and I still think that there is laughter in the background, I can hear you giggling, you know?” Giles told her and Buffy could hear the strict teacher’s voice he used clearly.
 
“Sorry, Giles!” The chorus of the voices in the background told Giles everything he needed to know but he let it slip for the moment.
 
“But if it isn’t something life threatening…are you sure that he isn’t holding Dawn somewhere hostage, Buffy?”
 
“I’m positive of that, at least of the holding part that is.” Buffy told him cryptically. “But we still have that problem with Spike that I am still trying to explain to you. There are these three guys, you remember them I think? Anyway, these three morons are trying to best me or something, I really don’t know, but now they have gotten to Spike and zapped him.”
 
“Excuse me, but they did what?” Now Giles was confused. Not only that he had to keep up with these kids talking in that modern slang all the time which he still had no idea as to what half of it meant – not to mention the other half, but now Buffy was doing it again and he still considered himself no that old and dusty to not know these things.
 
“They zapped him and now he’s somehow gotten into my television. This is so mean.” Buffy explained pouting slightly and Xander added helpfully “In colour and with some seriously disturbing images.”
 
“Disturbing images? Buffy, I’m afraid I don’t understand. What the hell is going on there?” Giles completely had given in to confusion now
 
“What I’ve been trying to tell you and we are still doing our best to find out.” Buffy replied, clearly getting impatient now. Besides, she wanted to get to the point and her Spike back. “Do you know of any method or something that can help us getting Spike out of the television?”
 
“Out of nothing right now? Are you sure I shouldn’t come back to you, you sound like you would need my help?” Giles asked back, taking down his glasses and he tried to think of something. He really did. But then, why should they get Spike out of that machine?
 
In the back of his room the television screen flickered with a special celebrity newsflash about a new pop group that had instantly hit the number one position of the charts, a bootleg tape obviously since nobody apparently had fed it into the broadcast. But the reporter said something about all of the record companies claiming to have that new talent under contract already which meant that they actually were licking their fingers for having that talent under contract in the first place. And of course about the name there would be needed to be done a few changes; Spikey X sounded nice, but the Slayer? Besides, there would be also the small problem of copyright or something like that.
 
“I might have a book in mind.” Giles told her absently, something about that report had awakened his curiosity. “Something about demonic possession of household electrics, should work also with vampiric possession.”
 
“We’ve looked in every single book the Magic Box has and found nada.” Willow supplied over the speaker.
 
“Ah, Willow, I didn’t know that you were there also. I might have given that book to Wesley, for some research.” Giles said, his eyes still glued onto the television. “And if I’m not mistaken, he still has it. Maybe you should call him instead…screeeeeeeech…can you hear me clearly?”
 
“Giles?” Buffy asked, the screeching sound also audible at the Magic Box.
 
“Call Wesley…creak...has the book and…help you…can you hear me?” Giles’ voice was pretty scrambled by now because of the telephone.
 
“Thanks Giles, we’ll do that and I…I’ll call you back.” Buffy managed to tell before the connection was terminated by some outer force.
 
“Haven’t you paid your telephone bills, Anya or why isn’t it working anymore?” Buffy turned around to face the others, slamming the speaker onto the handle.
 
“I found out that I can save a lot of money by paying the telephone bills only bi-monthly.” Anya told her, smiling brightly. She was running a business after all and had to look out for making money and keeping lots of it at the end of the month for herself.
 
“But they will cut off the lines if you don’t pay, Ahn.” Xander explained, realization sinking in. “Which they already have now.”
 
“No, that is bad, how can I make money now without the phone line?” Anya was near hysterics in a second, the whole Spike problem forgotten as well as her not paying the bills. And it had been such a good idea in increasing her profits.
 
“Seems that you’re about to find out until you’ll pay those overdue bills.” Willow said looking at the shopkeeper. “Didn’t you get reminders from the phone company?”
 
“Yes, but I threw them away.” Anya stated innocently. “Since they only were threatening to cut the lines and haven’t done that…”
 
“Until now.” Buffy said, staring glumly at the now dead phone on the counter. “We’ll have to get back to my place to call Wesley for that book. Which gives me a good opportunity to check on Spike.”
 
***
 
Spike was bored to death. Technically, like that wasn’t already known, he was dead but still he could be bored to death, couldn’t he?  So, back to the point, he was bored and to top that, it was nothing good on the television – again. Actually there was one good thing on, but that was him and he couldn’t enjoy it in his present state, but he truly wanted to see himself again, to look once more at what had become of the man he used to be. And Buffy was gone with the others to find a way to help him, so there was nobody left he could talk to except Dawn. But the kid needed her sleep and she had to get up in the morning for school. Spike would’ve been a bad friend if he’d let her stay up and go sleepy there, missing her education and then not being able to go on a good college and… Spike stopped himself, he almost sounded like a mother now, a very concerned mother. And a life standing in a kitchen wearing an apron simply wasn’t something Spike could envision himself in.
 
“We’re back, Spike!” Buffy announced silently when she came into the living room, careful not to risk waking up Dawn upstairs.
 
“Been about bloody time now.” Spike growled, clearly annoyed about having been left alone for that long.
 
“We needed to come here to call Wesley for a book.” Buffy said, smiling reassuringly to the trapped on-screen-vampire. “By the way, Giles sends greetings.”
 
“No, he doesn’t.” Spike returned but was ignored by Buffy already having rushed to the phone to call the other Watcher. But all she got was the answering machine of Angel Investigations.
 
“Hm, they’re not there and have still that ridiculous message on the machine, but we’ll go anyways.” She stated resolutely. “They are probably just out for killing some nasty. And L.A. isn’t that far away, we can make it in no time. Xander, I need you to drive me.”
 
“Uh, Buffy, I am sorry, but I can’t do that.” Xander told her, being the only one to come back to the house with her. The others had stayed at the shop to figure out a way to help Spike in finding out where the three Nerds could be now.
 
“Why?! Is it because of Spike? You just don’t want to help me help him and that is so mean.” Buffy pouted again and Xander raised his hands alarmed.
 
“No, I didn’t mean it that way, I just can’t drive you to L.A. because I have no car; needed to be repaired.” Xander explained to her and Buffy calmed down visibly.
 
“But you can take Spike’s car.” She suggested which earned her an even more alarmed cry from Spike.
 
“NO WAY!! The whelp’s not taking my car!” Spike protested from the screen.
 
“And why not?” Xander smiled smugly, the prospect of being able to drive that classic was appealing to him.
 
“Because!” Spike said, still growling and trying to kill Xander with his deadly glare. “Nobody drives that car but me!”
 
“I couldn’t do it anyways.” Xander said, looking down and suddenly finding the floor really interesting before he mumbled the rest of the sentence. “I have to get up early to be on the site. The inspector’s coming for a visit and I have the responsibility tomorrow. I am sorry, Buff.”
 
“Well, then I’ll drive.” Buffy told them both. “I have my license now, you know?”
 
“NO!!!” Spike was near hysterics this time. He knew how Buffy drove and no matter how much he loved her, she would not be driving his car. Not in this lifetime.
 
“But I need to get that book, don’t you want to get out of the television?” She asked the vampire. Spike couldn’t deny that part, he wanted out of there more than anything right now. But still she wasn’t getting near to driving his car.
 
“I’ll drive.” He said after thinking about it.
 
“You’ll drive.” Xander repeated disbelievingly. “And just how exactly did you plan to do that, oh great one?”
 
“Like the first time. How do you think I got here from my crypt?”
 
That was something Xander actually had wondered about and how the car had gotten in front of the Summers’ house without Spike driving it. The last time he’d seen that house, the car had not been there.
 
“I’ll drive and Buffy’ll just pretend that she can actually drive.” Spike explained to them, still being clearly pissed at the thought of anyone touching his car, especially not Xander. “Which is something she could do perfectly. But I won’t let her drive my baby.”
 
Outside the black DeSoto awoke to life shortly after Spike had vanished from the screen. Buffy, after going out of the house, opened the door and made herself comfortable on the leather seats.
 
“Buckle up, luv.” Spike told her from out of the radio speakers. “We’re going to L.A.”
 
“You know, you’re a real vamp now.” Xander said, grinning evilly and hoped that Spike could somehow see him doing it.
 
“What do you mean? I am a real vampire!” Spike snapped, didn’t that whelp ever learn not to piss him off?
 
“No, I meant you’re a real V.A.M.P now. “Xander explained while still wearing that diabolical grin. “You’re a Vehicle now And must be Mightily Pissed-off about having Buffy finally in your car and not being able to do anything else. Man, that would kill me. Have fun.”
 
Buffy was sure that if Spike still had his fingers to use right now, an extremely rude gesture would be coming into Xander’s direction. But all she could do was blush a bright red at the implications Xander had made.
 
Spike left his parking space in front of the Summers’ house with screeching tires, his outlet of being really pissed off by Xander. Bit it didn’t matter, since he and Buffy were on their way to L.A., alone in the car and Spike felt that headache coming, announcing the unwanted realization that Xander might have been right.