Author's Chapter Notes:
Its been awhile :)
He had been surprised when he descended the last step. He wasn’t sure what had him more baffled; the small frame curled up asleep in his bed, or the fact that he hadn’t sense her before. He stood and watched the sleeping girl for a moment more, before he silently move about the room putting away the items he had gone out to purchase.

It had been a week since he had last seen her, since he had held her in his arms and let her cry on his shoulders. He had been aware that she had visited his crypt several times during, but always when he was out, which he suspected she had done intentionally, and so he kept his distance. After putting the last item away he moved back to the ladder, meaning to leave her to rest but her soft voice stilled him.

“Don’t go,” She said and he stopped and slowly turned to face her. They both remained silent; him standing staring, as she still lay curled up in his bed. “This is your home, you don’t have to leave.” He didn’t know how to reply so he remained silent and she continued. “I hope you don’t mind, its just there’s nowhere else…” Her words died on her lips.

“I don’t mind luv, stay as long as you like. I’ll just be upstairs.” Spike said and then moved to leave again.

“No!” She said in a panicked voice as she bolted upright in the bed. “Spike, please stay.” She said in a lowered more calmer voice. Again her voice stilled him and he stood regarding her for a moment before he nodded, and then moved to the chair in the corner. They both sat silently watching the other’s every movement. “You were wrong,” Buffy finally said and Spike waited for her to continue, knowing she wasn’t finished. “It hasn’t gotten better.” She stated as the tears began to fall. “If anything its gotten worse; Dawn’s crushed and she’s been skipping school. She won’t even talk to me. My friends expect me to comfort them.” She said this with a chuckle. “Oh and then there’s the bills, mom’s hospital bills ate up all the savings so there’s nothing, and I still have to pay the mortgage this month. Did I mention that I don’t have a job? God, I don’t know how mom did it all.” Buffy finished and then buried her face in her hands as her sobs shook her body. Spike let out a deep sigh before he stood and cautiously move to the side of the bed.

“Buffy,” He called to her softly and kneeled at the bedside. “Buffy listen to me.” He coaxed this time he reached out a hand and cupped her face. She looked up at him and her crying quieted a bit. “Luv, it’s only been a couple of weeks with time it will get better, I promised remember?” He asked with a gentle smile and Buffy nodded as a slight smile played on her lips. “As for the Nibblet, she’s in a bad place right now also. It was her mum too whether it was biological or magical. For her it was real and so is the pain she’s feeling right now. All you can do is just be there for her whenever she’s ready to talk. Now, your friends are a different matter, if they can’t support ‘you’ in ‘your’ time of need, then they need to give you some space. Take the phone off the hook and don’t answer the door.”

“But what if they need…” Buffy began to protest only to have Spike cut her off.

“This is about what you need Buffy…you. And you don’t have to worry about patrolling, I’ve been doing that for you and will continue doing it for as long as you like.”

“So that’s why it’s been so dead around here, no pun intended.” Buffy said bringing a smile to Spike’s face.

“Thought I’d help by taking the stress of slaying off your back.”

“Thanks…thank you or everything. I’d never in a million years thought I’d be saying this and to you, but…I couldn’t have made it through this year without your help.”

“Well you just keep that to yourself. I do have a reputation you know.”

“Right,” Buffy said with a giggle. “I wouldn’t want to ruin your rep.” Her smile quickly morphed into a frown. “That takes care of everything except the bills.”

“Well,” Spike spoke nervously and when Buffy looked into his eyes he quickly cast them downward. “I’ve been working…There’s a new club out by the docks called Roxy’s. Well I’m one of the bouncers. Most of the clientele is of the demon persuasion, and…”

“Spike,” Buffy interrupted him. “I will not take money from you no matter how tempting the offer may be.” She said and saw the hurt in his eyes. “But I do appreciate the offer Spike I really do.”

“Well I didn’t think you’d accept money from me. Hello mortal enemy here.”

“Oh right, I forgot.” Buffy replied with a smile as she rolled her eyes.

“But I could use some more help. Pay’s really good I make about $500 a night which averages up to $2500 a week, all under the table and tax-free. I’m not saying you should make a career out of it, but it’ll help you get back on your feet, you know ‘til you can find something better. Way I see it you’ll finally get paid for beating up on demons.”

“That sounds great but what are the qualifications?”

“You’re the slayer, you’re over qualified luv. And the hours won’t interfere with your schooling, I only work 8 to 12, and we can patrol on the way to work too.”

“Wow, sounds like you’ve put some thought into it.”

“A bit, but if it’s not something you’re interested in then just forget I said anything.”

“No! I mean it sounds great…perfect in fact.”

Yeah?”

“Yeah, thank you.”

“Good, you start tonight.” Spike threw out casually as he moved back to his bureau.

“Huh, don’t I have to do an interview or something?”

“Nope, you have a great reference, that being me. And since I’m in charge of hiring the security I’m hiring you, unless you don’t…”

“No! I mean yes…yes I’ll take it. Thank you Spike, thank you so much.”

“You’re welcome pet.”




“Wow you’re going to be a bouncer? Tara said as she, Willow, Anya, and Xander all sat in the Summer’s living room.

“Isn’t that kind of dangerous?” Willow asked in concern.

“Well, beating up on demons is kind of my calling remember, except now I’ll be making 500 tax-free buck a night doing it.”

“Whoa $500 a night, do they need anyone else?” Xander asked half joking.

“Sorry Xander, I don’t think Spike will hire you, he kind of hates you.” Buffy said and instantly regretted it as she noticed the stunned faces of two of her best friends.

“Spike, as in the evil dead? You’re working with Spike?” Xander asked, outraged.

“Yes Spike the guy I’ve been working with for over a year now, except now I’ll be getting paid.” Buffy replied defensively.

“You don’t seem to mind working with evil dead on patrols,” Dawn threw out at Xander as she entered from the kitchen. “And are you planning on giving us your paycheck to help with all of our bills?”

“No,” Anya, who had been sitting chatting with Tara, spoke out.

“Dawn’s right Spike has been fighting along side us for so long now, he’s practically an honorary Scooby.” Buffy stated.

“I’m so telling him you said that.” Dawn said with a smile and Buffy couldn’t help but smile as she thought of the express that would most likely appear on Spike’s face upon hearing that news.

“Spike’s offering me a way to make an honest living, and with enough money to pay the bills, and help put both Dawn and I through college. I’m not going to smite him for it nor will I allow any of you to. These past few weeks have been so hard…”

“Buffy we know…” Willow began only to be cut off by Buffy.

“No Will, you don’t, none of you do. Spike was right,” Buffy said mumbling the last part mainly to herself.

“Spike’s right? What? Is he your advisor now?” Xander quipped.

“No, just a friend who’s really been here for me.” Buffy spit back, leaving no doubt with the implication that ‘they’ had not been supportive friends. Her words silenced the room until she finally spoke again. “I love you guys…”

“We love you too,” Willow quickly interjected.

“I Know, but...and please don’t take this the wrong way, but right now I just need some time…by myself.” She watched her friends hopefully, praying they would understand, until Willow’s words made it clear that they didn’t.

“OK, we’ll go then and we’ll see you tomorrow.”

“No,” Dawn spoke up again. “She means don’t call us, we’ll call you.” It took another few seconds for the weight of Dawn’s words to register, and when they did, the others, save Tara and Anya, flinched back as if they had been slapped across the face.

“Oh…uhm…sure,” Willow stammered. “Just call if you need us…anytime ok?”

“Thanks Will,” Buffy said as she embraced the redhead.

“Night Dawnie,” Both Willow and Tara spoke as they moved to the door, as Xander and Anya followed.

“Yeah, see you around.” Xander threw out and Buffy gently grasped his arm to stop him.

“Xander, please understand.” Buffy pleaded and Xander seemed to soften a bit until Willow opened the door to leave, just as Spike was about to knock on it. At the sight of Spike Xander wrenched his arm away from Buffy.

“Oh I understand you don’t need us because you’ve got fang breath here.”

“Xander that’s not true I…”

“What, are you trying to hook up with another ‘soulless’ vamp, cause that ended so well last time, with Ms. Calendar dying.” Xander spat out venomously and the tears began to well up in Buffy’s eyes. Buffy couldn’t reply didn’t get the chance before Xander was yanked through the door by Spike, who was in full game face and growling.

“You son-of-a-bitch, you call yourself her friend? She just lost her mum and all you can do is make her feel like crap, all because she won’t chose you?” Spike’s demon guise faded. “Don’t you get it by now, it’ll never be you, you wanker. And did you ever stop to think that is not because there’s something wrong with Buffy? I bet it helps your ego to say that it’s all because Buffy’s got a sick fetish for vampires, dunit? Truth is she’s just not that into 'you', and fool that you are you can’t see how lucky you already are. You’ve got a beautiful bird who practically worships you, and God only knows why that is. Yet you constantly disrespect her with the school boy crush you’ve got on Buffy.” Spike then released Xander, shoving him back against the porch railing, and then turned to Anya. “You can do so much better luv, you deserve better.” Then without looking back at the other’s on the porch Spike entered the Summer’s residence, slamming the door behind him. He focused on the two girls still standing in the parlor with wide eyes and gaping mouths. “Sorry ‘bout that but…uff.” His words were cut off as both girls rushed him, pulling him into a tight embrace.


Chapter End Notes:
Just testing.