~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 2: Touched by a stranger


“Don’t you think you should at least get off that couch long enough to take a shower and change clothes? You stink.” The brunette vampire snorted and wrinkled his nose at Buffy, in a way that would have been funny if he hadn’t been dead serious.


Let’s just say he didn’t take too kindly to being told he had been a mere teenage obsession. Of course, that is not what Buffy had said, but the stubborn vampire had taken it that way, and nothing would ever make him change his mind.


They had had a conversation, or was it a confrontation, a few days after Buffy was back to her old self, about the ‘why’ and ‘how’ she had remembered Spike, and not him. Angel had been more than a little insulted about that, and wanted an explanation. The one he got didn’t make him happy. She had tried explaining to him that maybe her feelings for him hadn’t been as genuine as she thought they were. That taking a step back, and observing her past with the impartial eyes of a stranger, made her face things that she wasn’t ready to face before. That maybe, her feelings for him were more about obsession than love.


She had been a teenager when it all happened between them, and had seen him as her knight in shining armor. She was so blinded by how romantic and passionate it was, that she hadn’t been able to see things as they were. And the fact that they had been forced apart instead of choosing to split, had just made her cling to the illusion because you always want what you can’t have. But what they had now, him with Cordelia, her with Spike… That was the real deal. And maybe that was why she had recognized Spike at that club. Because she truly loved him.


“The cookie dough speech Angel… it wasn’t necessarily about you. It was about whoever would be in my heart when I’d be ready. And thanks to the Powers That Be and their mojo, I’m ready now. And Spike is the one who’s in my heart.”


Her explanation made sense. But Angel had focused only on one thing: “I was a fucking teenage obsession?!”


Buffy was shocked at his outburst to say the least. She just stared as he walked up the stairs and slammed his door shut. All Buffy could do was thanking the Powers that Cordelia was staying overnight at the hospital for tests. She had a feeling the brunette wouldn’t have liked it one bit.


She had gone upstairs to try talking to him, to no avail. The only answer she had gotten was to “get bent”.


Later on that night, when Spike had walked in the room after taking a shower, he found Buffy jumping up and down on the bed, making it bang loudly against the wall. She started moaning and screaming at the top of her lungs: “Oh SPIKE! YES! You’re soooo GOOD!!!”


Spike had just raised a questioning eyebrow at her.


“Vengeance” she said as her only explanation before letting herself fall on the bed with a last “Oh God!”. Loud, annoyed, banging could be heard coming from the ceiling where Angel’s room was.


Spike had laughed his ass off at Buffy’s antics, then dropped his towel to the floor. “Wanna give the wanker a repeat performance… for real this time?”


That had been a fun night.


Buffy smiled at the memory while looking at Angel cross the lobby to go get the messages on the answering machine. She wondered briefly if he’d ever forgive her for that little stunt.


Still smiling, she forgot for a moment to worry about Spike. It didn’t last too long though. She frowned when she looked at the clock on the office wall. It had been more than twenty-four hours since Spike had left. She knew he could take care of himself. After all, he had survived for a hundred and fifty plus years without her mothering him. But he had left upset, and he was well known for doing the stupidest things while upset.


She had stayed at the hotel, wanting to give him some space and time to calm down so they could talk. But it was getting too long and she was starting to feel antsy. She looked at the clock again. Eleven-thirty. She decided that if he weren’t there in an hour, she’d get dressed and go after him.


She didn’t have to wait that long.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“She won’t come! Had a fight with the lady. She doesn’t give a shit about me anymore. Heard that you bloody PILLOCK?! SHE. WON’T. COME.” Spike yelled at the top of his lungs, rattling his chains, hoping the thing that got him would hear all the way from across the warehouse.

The Powers seemed to hear his prayers because next thing he knew, he was grabbed by the throat, and lifted off the ground by a snarling… thing. He wondered briefly what that demon was. Knew a lot of nasty buggers by name, but not that one. Never seen one of those before. He shrugged the thought off and smirked defiantly at his captor.


“Zwapacha aracha taga ra!”


The look on Spike’s face was priceless. “Huh? Look mate, I don’t even know WHAT you are. How am I supposed to understand what the bloody hell you’re saying?? And you were speaking perfect English on your cellphone a moment ago so why are you…”


“Oh. Pardon my rudeness. I said SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU ANNOYING VAMPIRE!”


Spike turned his head, face scrunched up in disgust. “Might wanna do something about that breath problem mate.”


The thing gave Spike a toothless smile that was somewhat ridiculous in its distorted face. What was even more ridiculous was that it was wearing what looked like a very expensive designer suit. It’s head, which looked like a blob of melted gray candle wax, was sticking out of the fancy Armani suit comically. Spike was pulled out of his musing by the affable voice of his host.


“My dear William. You simply don’t understand. It doesn’t matter that she won’t come for you. That is not the plan. Do you want to know the plan?”


Spike leant forward, feigning interest. “Why don’t you humor me mate?”


“She’s not coming to you Will. YOU, are going to her. Tonight, Buffy Summers, Vampire Slayer, will be killed by her lover, William the Bloody.”


Spike let out a short bark of laughter, honestly amused by the idea.


“And you find this amusing because..?”


“First of all, you STUPID pounce, William the Bloody doesn’t exist anymore. I’m human. I don’t kill. Second of all, you BLOODY STUPID wanker, even if I was still a vampire, you wouldn’t have been able in a million years to convince me to kill this Slayer. She’s my mate you brain dead loony. I would never hurt her.”


“I beg to differ Spike. You would and you will.”


Spike looked into the thing’s face to try to figure out if he should be scared or not. *Yeah, put a bloody candle on a heater for a few hours and then try to tell if it’s being serious or not* He growled, frustrated.


“Ok. Care to explain? Cause I’m really not following you.”


“Oh. It’s true. I think I remember you saying that you didn’t know what I am. I am a Tszaaree. Or a shapeshifter if you prefer. All I require is a drop of your blood…”


To illustrate what he was saying, he produced a knife from one of his pocket and dragged the sharp edge along Spike’s cheek, drawing blood. Reaching out, he wiped some of the blood with his finger and brought it to his mouth. His strange distorted features automatically melted into a very handsome face, with piercing blue eyes and white blonde locks. “And tada, I’m you. See? William the Bloody does still exist. And he WILL kill his mate after all.”


Spike’s eyes widen in horror. “You wouldn’t dare.” He growled menacingly at his reflection. “Touch one hair on her head you bloody fucking wanker, and I will make your pain last for eternity you hear me!?”


“See, I would usually care about your threats, but there’s a lot of money offered to the one who will bring the Slayer’s heart back and with my little talent, you can say I already won.”


“What in the soddin Hell are you yammering about?”


“Do you like sports Spike?… What a question. Of course you do! Well you see, its only sport. It’s not even personal anymore considering that there are a hundred or so Slayers around the world as we speak. But this one… This one used to be the greatest Slayer there ever was. Killing her would be an honor. And everybody knows she’s been out of practice. A year without even going out for a jog; the girl must be out of shape. So the demon population decided that it would be the best time to make bets. There’s a jackpot, and the one bringing back the Slayer’s heart takes it. May the best man win. And thanks to you, and my little talent, I AM the best man. She’ll be so devastated when the man she loves tries to kill her, that she won’t even try to defend herself. Isn’t it clever?” He waited for an answer, but Spike was too horrified by the idea to speak.


“Unfortunately, I can’t kill you because I can’t be you if you don’t exist. That’s why you’re here my friend. Sitting here like a good boy in your chains, while your girlfriend gets her heart ripped out. How tragic. Shakespeare would have loved it!”


“She’ll know you pounce. One look into your eyes, and she’ll know you’re not me.”


“Really? How come your voice doesn’t sound nearly as confident as your words?”


“Sod off!”


“Now, if you could just be helpful enough to tell me what it is you two fought about so I can apologize properly…”


Spike smirked briefly, an idea forming. “She won’t even talk to you mate. We fought cause I cheated on her with Angel.”


The fake Spike’s eyes widened a bit. “Really?”


“Yeah, really. I was drunk and all.”


Fake Spike snickered. “Why don’t I believe you then? Want me to go over there and make a fool of myself so she will know it’s not you, don’t you.”


Spike’s expression darkened considerably when he realized the shapeshifter had seen right through him. “Bugger.”


“Fine. I’ll figure it out. I just have to let her talk and go with the flow. I’ll do just fine. I’ll kill her, then I’ll come back and kill you. Isn’t it romantic? Reunited in death.”


“I think you’ve read Romance for serial killers one too many times mate.”


The shapeshifter got up and stretched his back. “I’d love to continue this conversation, but I’m getting increasingly bored and I have important things to do. So if you don’t mind, I’ll be on my way.”


Spike tried to jump at him to stop him from leaving, but the chains kept him from reaching the reflection of himself… who was on his way to hurt his girl.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy jumped up to her feet as soon as she heard the front door open. It could have been anyone, Fred, Gunn, Lorne… But she somehow knew it was him. She quickly went to Spike and threw her arms around him, hugging him fiercely to her. She then took a step back and slapped his chest.


“Don’t do that again you stubborn pigheaded man! Next time you want to run away, wait for my explanation first!”


Spike shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other and seemed to be looking for something to say. “Huh… I’m s-sorry…”


Buffy took another step back. A strange feeling of uneasiness had suddenly washed over her. She ran a nervous hand through her long blond hair. “Don’t be sorry. I’m the one who should be sorry. Are you still mad at me?”


She automatically assumed her uneasiness was due to the fact that Spike was mad at her and acting cold and distant. She didn’t waste any time trying to understand her own instinctual reaction and went straight to the groveling.


“Look, I’m sorry, I didn’t want to hurt you, ok? I just wanted to tell her face to face, is all.” She frowned, taking his hesitation for a sign that he was still angry with her. “Come on, I don’t know what to say here. You got to help me out a little. I won’t do it again, I promise… Are we good?”


“Huh.. Sure. I… Of course we are.”


He wasn’t shy, insecure or at a lost for words. No, nothing like that. But he had no idea what the Slayer and Spike had been fighting about and didn’t want to say something that would alarm her. He knew the wise thing would have been to hug her and slice her throat right away. Quick, clean, painless, but easy kills tend to become disappointing after a while. No challenge. Not something he would go for. He was thinking about getting her alone first, and maybe getting a good fuck out of the deal. He wanted it to be a memory he’d cherish for years to come


He tentatively reached to brush a strand of hair from her forehead, then smiled at her in what he hoped was a reassuring way. “Let’s forget about this, shall we. What would you say about an evening just you and me…”


Buffy relaxed a little bit and leaned into his touch. “Mmm I’d love to, but there’s a slight problem.” She pointed behind her with her thumb in the general direction of the office. “Angel’s in the house. Kinda hard to kick him out of his own place.”


Spike put his hands on her waist and a chill ran up and down her back but she suppressed it. “You’d think, now wouldn’t you?”


She shrugged and turned to walk back to the couch. “Maybe we could go..”


“Angel, get your ugly white ass out of here for the night,” He yelled across the lobby. “I want to have loud obnoxious make up sex with my girlfriend and don’t want an audience!”


The loud demand was supposed to be funny but it made Buffy frown disapprovingly.


“Spike damn it, don’t do that! I thought we agreed no lewd remarks with Angel for a little while.”


He offered her an apologetic smile that looked more like a guilty grimace. “Sorry…”


“Found your way back, boy? Too bad.” Angel threw a pile of paper on the counter. He had his coat on. “Don’t worry, I’d rather eat rocks than spend the night alone here with the two of you. So if you don’t mind, I’ll be on my merry way. If I get an important call, I’ll be at Wesley’s. We have things to discuss…”


“Not that the story of your life isn’t interesting, but we could do without it.”


Angel growled at Spike, but decided that he wasn’t in the mood to get in a fight with the blond so he turned and slammed the door behind him.


Buffy was just about to scold him, but the disarming smile he gave her made her change her mind.


“You think it was wise of us to let him go to that boy’s place without a chaperon? I think it’s awfully inappropriate for two young respectable gentlemen to be alone this late at night without supervision.” She laughed, her earlier tension forgotten for now. “Don’t worry, I think they’ll behave. So, what did you want to do now that you got your way and we have the place for ourselves? Did you have anything in mind?”


“Why don’t you let me take you upstairs and show you just how much I love you baby?”


*Shit* He thought when he saw her hesitate. *I hope the God damn stupid bedroom IS upstairs! Rookie mistake.*


“I don’t know… Why don’t we just rent a couple of movies, buy a pizza and relax a bit? I don’t really feel like going to bed now.” Buffy frowned when she realized that she was stalling. She never stalled. She was always willing and eager when it came to getting Spike into bed. What was that all about?


*What the Hell is wrong with me?* She wondered briefly.


Unaware of the type of relationship Buffy and Spike had together and how highly unusual it was for Buffy not to jump on any occasion to have sex with her man, he didn’t let her hesitation faze him.


“I missed you baby.” He whispered in her ear, twisting a strand of her long silky hair around his finger. “I just want to cuddle up with you for a while. We could… talk… if you prefer babe.”


“Babe? You sure you’re alright? I think all that American fast food and liqueur might have gotten to your brain Blondie. You never call me baby or babe. Where does that come from?”


“I guess I must have picked it up from… some… guys I’ve been hanging out with at the bar… *British word! British word! Think!* huh... ducks. I just thought you’d like it.” *Idiot!!*


She put her arms around his neck. “Nah. I like it better want you call me luv or pet or whatever it is you call me. C’mon, let’s go upstairs and snuggle a bit.”


He prayed to all Gods that she would lead the way. This game was getting to be too exciting to screw up now. He wanted to see for just how long he could make the girl believe. *Maybe if I shut up for a little while…*


Buffy took his hand and led the way. He almost sighed in relief. He wondered for a brief instant why exactly he didn’t just take her on the couch, rape her if he had to, instead of wasting precious time. But this was so much more fun, he thought while watching her cute ass swaying enticingly as she climbed the stairs. So exciting to think that she had no idea the man who was following her was a complete stranger… and not even a man, to be perfectly honest. A stranger who was getting increasingly aroused at the idea of tasting that deliciously sweet looking girl.


She opened the bedroom door and walked in. He came to stand behind her, and putting his hands on her hips, he started kissing the side of her neck, kicking the door closed behind him at the same time.


Giggling somewhat nervously, Buffy disentangled herself from him and went to the bed. She sat and patted the bed in an invitation to join her. Instead of crawling on the bed and taking her in his arms like she was expecting him to do, he pounced on her playfully, yet awkwardly, and landed with his knee on her thigh.


“Ow! What are you doing? You hurt me!”


“Aww, come on Slayer, let’s have some fun.”


Buffy was getting a little angry and annoyed that he hadn’t even apologized. She’d have a bruise the size of a watermelon in the morning and all he could think of saying was lets have some fun? What the hell was up with him?


“I’m not in the mood Spike. I’m in the mood to cuddle and talk, not shag.”


She wondered angrily if he even heard a word she said with his head between her breasts.


He had pushed her T-shirt up to allow him access, and was now kneading and biting her soft breasts roughly.


“Ow! Spike, stop. I’m not kidding. I want you to stop that, you’re hurting me.”


“Am I hurting you good baby?” He mumbled against her skin.


“No. Not good. Stop its not funny anymore.”


Buffy was breathing heavily, not from arousal but more from the beginning of a panic attack. *Buffy, this is ridiculous… it’s Spike. Just relax* She tried to calm herself down without success. All she could think of was that Spike would never do that. He wouldn’t. Not after what happened in Sunnydale that night… She kept repeating to herself that he wouldn’t, while asking him to stop. But he wouldn’t. She now had the certainty that something was definitely wrong.


“Would you stop wiggling already? Just relax babe, we’ll have fun, you’ll see.”


He shoved his hand down her thong and caressed her roughly, hurting her. Reacting quickly, Buffy kneed him in the groin. Not hard enough to cause permanent damage, but enough to give her time to get away from him.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~