William

Maybe teaching would help me forget about what I did...I stared at the seniors before me.

“You’re pretty quiet for a bunch of seniors,” I remarked and smiled to relax them. They laughed at my comment, and the tension was released from the room. “Well, I know there’s only two months until you graduate and, believe me, I would bloody ecstatic at this point.

“Mrs. Baxter has retired due to the fact that she has moved to Florida in short notice and her husband in chronically ill,” I continued as I sat on the edge of the desk, “and I was called in to continue to teach you whelps.”

I scanned the room, observing their faces and expressions, but one of the students in the back had her head facing the desk, her hands on her books. I dismissed the concern as I finished my overture.

“My name in Mr. Giles,” I introduced myself, crossing my arms against my chest, “and I guess I’ll be teaching you wherever Mrs. Baxter left off last week.” Moans and groans escaped their mouths as I made my way behind the desk, situating myself on the chair.

“I know, I know... but I want you guys to pass with at least a B- in class,” I comforted them and took out the roll sheet. “Guys, when I call you names, just raise your hands and tell me you’re here, okay? I know it’s going to take me a while to learn your names, but work with me here.”

I adjusted my glasses for better viewing as I called the names and seeing who they were, but as I got to the end of the list, I stopped at one name: Elizabeth Summers.

“Summers?” I called out and the girl in the back of the class raised her hand, not looking at me. I sighed, taking off my glasses and gritted my teeth together, feeling my cheekbones pierce against my skin.

“Ms. Summers?” I asked again and this time she responded. I recognized her voice so clearly; it was soft and calm, but then again there was a sudden crackle as she spoke. She raised her head slowly, revealing a beautiful pair of emerald eyes, but they were covered with puffed eyelids. My eyes widened at the girl before me...

“Buffy... please...” she croaked and cleared her throat. Oh God... she follows me everywhere I go...

“O-okay... Umm... continuing...” I can’t believe that I saw her again... I didn’t want to see her, but then again I did want to, and somehow I guess it’s suppose to be that way. “Alright... from what I have here, it seems that you are in the transition of starting Shakespeare. Turn to page 250 in your literature books and we’re going to read out loud together.”

Sometimes I furrow myself in the literature... its my favorite thing to do when I want to forget about problems, and at that time, I want to forget that she was there... but I couldn’t... I had to talk to her.

The bell rang for the end of class and the students started to put their books away and walk out. As Buffy walked passed me, I stopped her.

“Could I speak to you, Buffy?” I asked politely. She turned to her friend, and told her they would talk later. When the classroom was empty, she turned to me with tears in her eyes.

“What’s wrong, WILL?” she asked her voice sizzling as the tears got stronger.

“You didn’t tell me you went to school,” I replied, crossing my arms over my chest to prevent me from taking her in my arms.

“You didn’t tell me you were a teacher, either. We’re even.” She turned around to look out the window, and sniffled a bit.

“I-I don’t know what to tell you...”

“Yeah well, why don’t you start on what happened this morning... or maybe,” she turned to face me, “why don’t you tell me about last night?” I hurt her, and I admit it.

“I don’t know what got over me... I really don’t forgive myself for doing it...” she lowered her face, her lips quivering in the shadows. I reached under her chin and lifted her head to stare straight into my eyes. “I was afraid...”

She gave me a confused look. “Of what?”

I took a deep breath. “I was afraid that you wouldn’t care for me after that...” She pursed her lips tightly and threw her arms around my neck, crying softly on my shoulder.

“I-I have something to tell you,” she whispered as she parted from me. I cupped her cheek, wiping her tears away with my thumb.

“You can tell me anything...” She took a deep breath and licked her lips.

“There’s a possibility that I might have conceived... but I don’t know yet. We have to wait a couple of weeks,” she explained. My eyes widened as the memory from the night before came to me.

“What do you mean?”

“We didn’t use protection, William...” I bit my lower lip at the news. I had to make a decision, and I did. I took her in my arms, assuring her that there was nothing to be worried about.

“If whatever life brings us, we will take it together... I’ll be by your side, Buffy,” I reassured her and hugged her tighter.

“Listen, come here to my room after school. I’ll take you to get some coffee or something.” She gazed up at me and nodded. I had a feeling I would stick around for a while.