The demon that had carried Buffy from her cell was smirking as the blond slayer awoke to find herself on a cold, stone table.

“’Bout time you woke up, Slayer,” the demon replied in a deep voice. “Was beginning to think you wouldn’t be alive for me to kill you.”

Buffy sat up abruptly, shivering, wondering where in the hell she was. “W-who…?”

“Montavus. One of the guards around here. Anyone could smell your blood from miles away, Slayer. It was right stupid pounding on concrete like that. You gave your little secret away.”

Buffy had no emotion on her features and she sat limply against the wall that the stone was against. “There a point in me being here?”

“I told you. I have to kill you.”

“Yeah. I get that. Is there a reason I’m still alive?”

Confusion masked over the yellowish demon’s features before he delivered a powerful blow to her side, causing her to fall to the ground.

She cried out in pain, but was abruptly cut off by him using his foot to kick the base of her head, right at her neck.

“Don’t make a sound! I don’t want Grather finding you here and taking you out himself.” He eyed the girl who was clutching her aching head and her ribs at the same time. “Did I break your ribs?” When she didn’t answer, he kicked her left leg with all his strength. Buffy knew that this demon’s strength was even more than that of an ubervamp. “Answer me!”

“N-no, you didn’t,” she managed to whisper.

“Hmm…then I’m not trying hard enough.” With that he picked her up off the ground and slammed her with, all his might into the hard stone. Her ribs were the first thing to hit the stone and she felt some of them break. She had to bite her lip to keep from screaming. She bit down so hard that blood began to drip from her lower lip.

---Back in the cells---

“How long ago did that demon take her?” Serena asked, the worry evident in her voice.

“Over two hours ago,” a man from another cell answered.

“Is she really Buffy? As is Buffy Summers? The Slayer?” An older man asked.

“Yes. Why?”

“I’ve just heard of her is all. She died decades ago, didn’t she?” Serena was about to answer when the door swung open to reveal the slightly bleached vampire. He walked down, about to say something to Buffy. But when he reached her cell, he froze when he saw she wasn’t there.

“Where is she?” Spike demanded from Serena and Curtis.

Both of them shot deathly glares toward the vampire. “Yellow demon took her. Had short horns, kind of scale-y. Why? Didn’t you say it was fine if she died?”

Spike clenched his jaw tightly. “I never…” He stopped himself, realizing he did say that.

“You did so,” Serena supplied and sighed. “Besides. We all think she’s dead. We heard her scream about thirty minutes ago, and that’s the last we heard.”

“Don’t say that.”

“What? That she’s dead?” Curtis offered.

Spike didn’t answer, just went out the nearest exit and started toward the only yellow demon with horns that he knew. Montavus.

When he approached the hallway that led to Motavus’ room, Spike heard Buffy’s slight whimpering and felt relieved that she wasn’t really dead.

“Beg for it, Slayer. I won’t kill you until you beg for it!” He heard a loud banging sound which was followed by a cracking sound that must’ve been something of Buffy’s breaking.

Just as he was about to run through the door, he heard Buffy’s small voice. “Go. To. Hell.” After a moment, she added in a stronger voice, “Asshole.”

Spike burst through the door before Montavus could deliver his punishing blows.

“Oh, um…Spike. I was just…” Montavus actually worked for Spike, which he was very appreciative of at the moment.

“You were disobeying orders. I told you to stay at your own cells, didn’t I?” The demon nodded.

“But, Spike…she’s a Slayer.” Spike raised an eyebrow as if to say ‘well, duh’.

“And she’s in my cell. It’s my job to do what I wish. Now leave.”

The demon didn’t have to be told twice and he quickly exited.

As soon as the door was shut and locked, Spike walked over to the broken Slayer cautiously.

She was bloody almost everywhere he could see and bruises trailed over her arms and neck. “Don’t rush over here or anything. I can wait,” Buffy replied sarcastically in annoyance when Spike still hadn’t reached her.

Snapping out of his daze, Spike ran the rest of the way to her and kneeled down. “Are you okay?”

Buffy knew he was only trying to be helpful, but it was still an obvious question. “Spike. Do you see a single piece of non-bloodied skin on my body right now?”

Spike gave her a slight smile and sat her up straight. When she winced in pain, he felt around her ribs to see why. “Two broken ribs.”

“Oh, yay.”

“You should heal fast. Being a slayer and all.”

“It was the fact that I was a slayer that got me into this mess,” she replied as he began to clean her up some.

“How’d he find out you’re a slayer anyway?”

Buffy let out a snort, but didn’t say anything. “Buffy?”

“I told him,” she replied sarcastically.

“Buffy,” he started in warning.

“Chill. He smelled my blood from whatever cells he works at.”

“Buffy, the only cut you had was that one small one…and Montavus works three buildings down from mine.”

“Correction. I only had one cut while you were there. I got a few more after you left.”

“And how did that bloody happen?”

“I tripped into the wall several dozen times with my fists. With a lot of force,” she replied almost defiantly.

“You beat up the wall? That was smart. Soddin’ hell, Buffy. You knew that they’d be able to smell your blood!”

“And I didn’t care,” she said loudly, but not looking at him. “I just didn’t care.”

“You seemed like you cared when you told him to go to hell.”

“That was when I realized that I shouldn’t let stupid things, like what you think of me, get in the way of me helping in this war. Of course, I realized it a bit too late, but hey. At least I realized it.”

Spike was taken aback. He knew that what he’d said earlier was harsh, but he didn’t expect her to give up because of it. She was willing to get caught by a demon, and for a while, she didn’t care if it killed her.

“And what do I think of you, Slayer?” As he said this, he cleaned some blood off her arm harshly. When she winced, he softened his touch. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

She shrugged it off and sighed. “From what I’ve gathered so far…I’m a self-centered girl who was missed but no longer loved.” When he didn’t reply, she just shrugged. “Hey, I’m only repeating what I heard.”

When he didn’t say anything else to her while cleaning the rest of her up, she got a little worried that maybe she’d crossed a line.

But since when should she care if she crossed a freaking line?

Oh yeah. Since about three hours ago when she realized how much she loved the stupid jerk.

When Spike carefully placed Buffy back in her cell, making sure not to hurt her, the others smiled, glad that she was back.

He didn’t even look at her as the cell doors were shut.

Instead his eyes were locked on the concrete wall which was chipped in certain places with blood splattered around. His gaze then fell on her hands and knuckles that were still completely raw.

All of this because of what he’d said earlier.

Spike didn’t look at her as he turned to walk away, but stopped.

Still not facing her, he sighed deeply. “Ninety years, Buffy. Ninety years of living in this hell. Fighting all the time. No matter which side I was on, I’ve always secretly worked for the good side. I just wanted you to know that.” Finally he turned to face her.


“The pain you just went through in there? Try going through that emotionally and physically every soddin’ day for almost ninety years. It changes people, Slayer. So I hadn’t felt a single bloody thing for almost as long. Not emotionally anyway.” He paused and looked at her hard. “Not until yesterday when I saw you.” He saw how her emotion suddenly changed at his last admission. “You understand what I’m telling you?” He asked, his voice not completely soft, but not harsh like before. When she nodded, he headed for the door. Just as he was about to open it, her voice stopped him.

“Spike?” He stopped and turned to face her. “I love you, too,” she said almost weakly, not used to feeling this vulnerable.

Spike’s emotionless facade died down slowly and a slight smile appeared. “Good to know, Slayer,” he said in response and gave her another grin, which she returned.

“Good to know,” he repeated as he closed the door behind him.