This was the hard part.

She’d been planning all night long, hardly getting a moment of sleep.

But planning was nothing compared to actually standing here at the entrance.

All the slayer had to do was go in, and somehow convince the other side that she would be working for them.

No problem, right?

Oh, God…

---Inside---

Spike had heard his superiors talking throughout the course of the night and morning, but he couldn’t pick up on their topic.

All he knew was that Buffy and her entire block had gotten out.

Well. Good for her.

He hated the part of him that was feeling guilt to no end. He hated it because it was the part of him that was right.

And he hated Buffy for bringing out these emotions in him.

And he hated her because he couldn’t really hate her at all.

Through the wall, he suddenly heard an all too familiar voice. Buffy.

---Other room---

“Hold on, now,” Buffy backed up from the approaching demon.

“You’re the slayer. You set our prisoners free.”

“How else was I supposed to kill them,” she said, trying to put on her best ‘Faith act’.

The demons in the room as well as the other creatures looked confused. “Kill them?”

“Yeah.” The blond slayer had that ‘duh’ tone to her voice. “I took them out. They trusted me. Well…until I started killing them off.” She forced a smile on her face. “Of course, that was the funny part.”

“She’s lying,” a green demon shouted as he stood up.

“I must admit, I have to agree with Darmet. This doesn’t sound too convincing. You were the most powerful slayer alive. I don’t see you suddenly killing those you used to protect.”

“Ever been to Hell, boys?” Some of them nodded. “Of course you have. You used to rule it. Now you rule here. I went to hell once. It wasn’t for very long, of course. My friend revived me after only a few minutes. Ever been to Heaven?”

All of them shook their heads ‘no’. “Let me continue, then. Heaven?” She laughed bitterly. “That’s the real Hell.”

At their confused looks she continued. “I went to Heaven back in my lifetime. I was brought back by my very powerful friend. The second I was torn from pure happiness and put into a world of pure hatred and pain…let’s say I wasn’t the same.

“Then I died again. I had no problem with it. I went to Heaven again.”

“Do you have a point to this?” The one named Darmet asked.

“I do,” she said harshly, causing him to sit back down. “This second time I was brought back…I got to see this disgusting world full of it’s broken people.”

She only paused a moment for effect. “This world hates me beyond reason. And that’s okay…because I hate it right back. I want every human to feel the same pain that I’m feeling. I want to burn down this world until there’s nothing left to burn.”

After another moment of pacing, she stopped. “So. Looks like we have the same goals here. Why not team up?”

---Next room---

Stupid. Little. Bint.

He knew for a fact what she was doing. She was trying to get in.

That stupid little…

She would get caught. Or killed. Or pulled in and end up like him.

Or, ‘D: All of the above’.

As he heard the door opening, Spike acted like he had just been passing through. “Grather,” Spike acknowledged as the head demon stepped out.

“Ah, Spike we were just looking for you.” Buffy suddenly walked through the door, standing beside Grather. She had somewhat of a smirk on as she looked at Spike. “I believe you know the Slayer. I want you to take her.”

“Um, take her?”

“Yes. Show her around. Let her know how things are done. Make sure she keeps that bitchy mouth of hers shut. And she can take the room next to your quarters.”

Without another word, he left.

---A few minutes later---

Buffy and Spike were walking down the hallway. The past few minutes had been uncomfortably silent for Spike, as well as Buffy, though she didn’t show it.

“You didn’t kill them, did you?” Spike asked her, not looking up from the floor.

“What do you think?” She asked, that soft tone shining through. “Those were innocent people, my ex, and my best friend.” Spike smiled a little at her, somewhat relieved. “Of course I killed them,” she added with a smirk.

“Ha. Ha.” Spike nudged her arm a little with his elbow and she grinned somewhat.

“So, you’re not gonna tell on me?”

“Of course not, pet.”

“Why?”

“Like I told you…All these years, I haven’t really worked for this side. It was an easier way of helping people.”

“I get that,” she replied softly. “It was the easy way out. But after so many years of playing hard…I’d go for the easy stuff too.”

“You’re risking a lot by being here,” Spike suddenly pointed out to her.

“I know. But you’ll protect me,” she teased.

“Damn straight.”

With a smile, Buffy made it to the room that she was supposed to be staying in. Before she could open the door, Spike lightly grabbed her arm. “I want to come back, Buffy.”

She stared at him oddly. “I know…I don’t deserve to. But I want to fight for the things I used to fight for. I want to…” He trailed off as Buffy’s hand came up to rest on his cheek.

“Forgiven.”

“I didn’t say I was sorry.”

“You should have. Therefore you’re forgiven,” she replied with a smile.

He smirked a little as she let her hand fall. “So, we’re okay?”

“A little more than okay,” she assured him. “Good-night.”

Spike opened his mouth to reply when he felt her lips softly plant a kiss on his cheek. “Oh, um…good-night,” he replied quietly when she stepped back.

She disappeared as the wooden door closed softly behind her and Spike went to his own room.

---Same time---

“So, the slayer fell for it. She thinks she’s working as a double agent of some sort.”

The others joined in with Grather’s laughter. He continued, “Continue to let her and Spike think that they are a step ahead. Sooner or later, they will fulfill the prophecy. And when we have the last element of darkness, Earth will be another Hell plane. All souls that die here, stay here. Our own torture chamber.”

All of them laughed along with their leader once again.

And slayer and vampire slept that night, having no clue that instead of a step ahead, they were millions of miles behind.