----Blind Mice


“Help me!”

Buffy flew towards the woman who’d shrieked and arrived in time to see a rather humanoid demon swipe its claw across her chest.

Buffy ran headlong into the demon, tackling him to the ground as the woman collapsed and the two children in her arms fell with her.

The Vampire Slayer dispatched the irritated demon with no lustre in her eyes or her heart. The apathy in which she now fought was held at bay slightly by the sounds of the whimpering children behind her and the familiar prickle on the back of her neck.

Turning slowly, Buffy approached the woman, whose breathing was haggard as she lay still on the cold grass.

“It’s okay...it’s going to be okay,” Buffy said as she fell to her knees next to the woman on the opposite side of her than her children.

“No it’s not...I’m dying. I can feel my magick leaving me.”

“You’re a witch?”

“No.”

Buffy frowned down at her in confusion and then looked up at the twin boys who were staring soundlessly at her.

“Where can I take them?”

“Nowhere.”

“Stop being cryptic-y. It’s not helping.”

“There’s...nowhere for them. We’re the last...”

“Last what?”

“Gypsy clan...the Tabora. Demon...killed most of...they have nowhere.”

Buffy noted that the woman was struggling to speak more now.

“You’re on my death...bed...Tradition means they’re yours now.”

At this Buffy’s heart stopped.

“I’m...not very good at that sort of thing.”

“You have to.”

“Lady...I can’t.”

“Please. Cody. William. Oh please...you...have...to.”

The woman gasped and fell still and Buffy quietly reached down and felt for her pulse.

The prickling intensified slightly and now Buffy could smell cigarette smoke wafting toward her.

She stood again and looked at the pair of chubby infants who couldn’t be more than two. She was rooted to the spot. What should she do? If the woman was telling the truth then these children were alone.

“So...what’re you gonna do?” Spike asked from behind her. He took the cigarette out of his mouth and crushed it into the grass with his foot.

Buffy didn’t answer and just kept gazing at the children with a mixture of indecision and reluctance and...hope?

*Something’s beginning,* Spike thought as Buffy leant over and took a child in each arm. *Something’s beginning right now.*