----Girls and boys, Come out to play


“Buffy are you sure this is a good idea?” Giles asked.

“It’s a great idea,” Buffy said stubbornly as she handed each of the twins a large, loaded water-gun. They gleefully accepted their neon-coloured weapons.

“What do we need--”

“Water-guns for?”

Giles shook his head in amusement. He had often thought that William and Cody’s habit of finishing each other’s sentences could be attributed to supernatural causes but several experiments had proved that theory negative. The boys were purely human and had as much talent with magick as Xander had.

“They’re filled with holy water. We’re going to go a-vampire watering,” Buffy explained.

Spike raised an eyebrow from his perch on a tombstone.

“Points for originality, Slayer.”

She shot him a look and he raised his arms defensively.

Five heads turned towards the fresh grave in front of the stone Spike was sitting on.

“Okay boys. All you. And try not to hit Spike,” Buffy said and walked around to stand on the side, near Giles and Spike.

Cody and William nodded and stood side by side in defensive positions as the fledgling crawled out of the ground. Then with identical shouts of eleven-year-old enthusiasm, they proceeded to absolutely drench the unsuspecting vampire. With a shriek, it exploded into dust.

Spike clapped slowly with a familiar smile on his face and Buffy had brief deja-vu of the night she met him.

“That was remarkable. Well done boys,” Giles said.

The twins grinned excitedly but the adrenaline was fading quickly and a pair of yawns broke through.

Buffy smiled.

“It’s getting late. Giles will you take them home? We’ll finish up patrol.”

“Of course Buffy.”

Buffy then got down on her knees to be at the boys’ eye level.

“Okay? Aunt Dawn will read your books and put you to bed.”

“Can we have--”

“Hot chocolate?”

“Not tonight.”

“Please?” Buffy was hit with four large puppy-dog eyes.

“Ah, go on Slayer.”

“Not helping Spike.”

“Go on boys,” Buffy said standing up. She shooed them in Giles’ direction.

“Night Mom! Night Dad!” They yelled as they turned to follow Giles.

“Good night!” Buffy called.

“Night, bits. Don’t call me that,” Spike called after them.

They turned around and stuck their tongues out before scampering after the Watcher, dragging their plastic guns.

“I don’t know why you won’t let them call you ‘Dad,’” Buffy said as she and Spike turned in the opposite direction, going further into the cemetery.

“Makes me feel old.”

“You are old.”

“Yeah well...figured you’d be pleased at any rate. M’not exactly your idea of a perfect da’ now am I?”

There was a pause before she said quietly:

“You’re not doing that bad.”

At this, Spike glanced at Buffy but her eyes were on the ground. So Spike took the offensive and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She looked up at him but didn’t throw him off like she would’ve done a few years ago.

“So if that’s the case why can’t Daddy kiss Mum?”

Buffy stopped walking and sighed. He stopped too but his hand still rested on her shoulder. Looking up at him she said:

“Spike...we’ve talked about this before.”

“I don’t care,” he said before lowering his mouth to hers.

Her eyes slid shut as the familiar feel of his lips and tongue enthralled her. His hands slid into her hair and hers found his slim waist. It had really been too long. Reluctantly, Buffy pulled back.

“Spike...” she breathed, trying to focus on what she had to say. “We tried this before, remember? With the-the bringing down the house, and the ooky pain, and the you taking off on the soul-train.”

They were still only a few inches apart, his hands resting on either side of her neckline and hers were still firmly on his hips. Neither made a move to get out of the other’s personal space.

“So we’ll try again,” he said with quiet conviction.

“What if it just all happens all over again?”

“It won’t. Things are different.”

“How?”

“Well for one, you’re more mature.”

Buffy wasn’t sure if that was a compliment or an insult.

“And two, it’s obvious you still want me.”

She glared at him.

“You’re a pig.”

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes Spike, take me now!’”

She moved her hand up towards Spike’s face and he flinched as it swung toward him. But it swerved around and landed on the back of his head, and pulled him into another kiss.