--Queen of Hearts


Xander decided that today had been a good day. He was whistling and swinging a bag of donuts as the Magic Box came into view around the corner.

He stopped when he noticed the identical 16-year-old twin boys lounging around on the curb in front of the shop. Cody was leaning against his red backpack working on the homework in his lap and William was digging through his black backpack, looking for something or other.

“Heya boys. What’s happening?”

“Hi Xander,” they said in unison.

“Watcha doing?” He asked Cody.

“Our history homework,” he answered.

“‘Our’?”

“It’s a system,” Cody said, looking up. “I’m better at history, so I do our history homework--”

“And I’m better at math,” William continued. “So I do all our math homework and we didn’t have much today.”

“That is so smart! I wish I had had a twi--erm...I mean...that’s cheating...bad, you know.”

The twins simultaneously smiled and Xander plopped down on the sidewalk next to them.

“Why aren’t we inside again?” Xander asked.

“Our parents are having sex so we--”

“--figured we’d wait out here.”

“Again,” they finished together.

Xander paled slightly and glanced at the door of the Magic Shop, which he only noticed now had the ‘Closed’ sign on it. He looked back at Cody and William, who were smiling sardonically at him, then stood and approached the shop. As he grew closer, he realised why the twins had forsaken the luxury of the bench directly outside the Magic Shop’s window; sounds Xander wasn’t sure were appropriate for 16-year-old ears could easily be heard.

Xander backed up until he found himself back on the curb. Cody handed William his homework and they zipped their schoolwork into their separate backpacks.

Xander sat down again.

“Where’s Anya?” He asked.

“She’s in L. A. and entrusted Mom and--”

“Dad to close the store today.”

“Remember?” They chorused.

“Right. I forgot.”

There were a few moments of silence where the three of them sat staring into space trying not to put visuals to the sounds that coasted to them from the interior of the store.

Suddenly, Buffy screamed and Xander witnessed firsthand how Sunnydalians blatantly minded their own business. He visibly winced and then turned to the twins, who looked bored until Xander offered:

“Donut?”


--End