Author's Chapter Notes:
AN- Tabula Rasa hasn’t happened yet and no one got stuck in Buffy’s house, and her hasn’t birthday happened yet (changed the summary to just before Older and Far Away)
Older and Far Away

PG-13

Chapter 8

“Hey slayer you know if you couldn’t find the ice you could have always got Red to conjure you up some,” Spike handed her 8 bags of ice they had bought for the punch.

“Dump it in,” she motioned with her hands towards the punch bowl, as she un-stacked several plates from the cupboards and placed them on top of the kitchen counter.

“You want me to set the table?” Spike sincerely offered.

“If you really want to.”

Spike watched her as she filled the counter with the forks, knives, and napkins, along with everything else needed to set a table. As he studied her oh so carefully, for just a moment he let himself fall into a different time, a time where they were together and getting ready to have dinner with their own family. A family that belonged to both of them, that had been created by both of them. But that would never be, right now she’s the slayer, he’s the vampire, he loves her and she doesn’t love him. That’s the way it’s going to stay, at least for now. He just had to keep reminding himself of that.

“This works huh Slayer?”

“What works?”

“This, you and me, making dinner…together… almost like…”

“Spike! Don’t even go there ok,” she snapped.

“Right, forgot, s’not worth getting into right now anyways, we got ourselves a dinner to serve,” he blew it off like it was nothing, as if to let her know that he knew they didn’t have a chance in hell. But he knew better then that, he knew one day, when all her pain was over, when she had no one left that she would come to him, and he would be the only one left to protect her, only then will she truly love him.

“Will you help me bring these plats into the dining room?”

“Course Slayer.”

--

“William my dear aren’t you hungry? You’ve barley touched your breakfast,” Williams mother asked. She was very much concerned with him lately. He hadn’t been eating, he hadn’t read her a poem in weeks, and he just didn’t seem like his usually self.

“I guess I’m just not that hungry this morning. If you’ll excuse me I think I’m going to take a walk.”

“All right dear, will you be back in time for tea?”

“I should be, but you mustn’t wait if I’m not here by then. Do you need anything before leave?”

“No, no dear, the maid arrived just an hour ago, I’ll be just fine. You enjoy your walk.”

After kissing his mother on the cheek he set out on the hunt, unsure of what he was looking for, but knowing exactly where to find it.
He arrived about 40 minutes later at the town’s library. Stepping inside he inhaled sharply the smell of old books, how he loved that smell.
He scoured the shelves in search for anything that seemed remotely close to what he was looking for. So far it didn’t seem like the library had anything on dreams. He really didn’t want to go see one of those fortuneteller things; he enjoyed figuring stuff out on his own.

“Demons and the forces of darkness…questionable,” he spoke only to himself, as he occasionally did, though recently it was more often then not. But today he got no crazy looks from strangers who found this odd. Today the library was empty, not a soul in sight, this was not unusually, for it was quite early, but William simply couldn’t wait a moment longer to find out what was hidden behind the girl in his dreams.

--

“SPIKE!”

“What is it now slayer!” Spike was beginning to get annoyed. Every five minutes the slayer was yelling at him for something. The first couple times he thought she might be in danger, but it was just her badgering him for any little thing that went wrong.

“What did u do to the punch?” She stared at him hard, as if he did it deliberately.

“I threw in the ice like you told me to do.” He was trying to keep his cool, but the slayer was stomping up and down on his last nerve.

“But now its nothing but ice! No punch. How are u supposed to drink ICE Spike? Like seriously didn’t you realise as you were dumping in that it was too much!”

“I just did as I was told pet, didn’t want to get yelled at.”

“Well what are we going to do now! I already screwed up the first bowl I made. Our sauce turned out spicy, Spike, we have to have something for them to drink.”

“We can always make some garlic bread, soak up the spice and whatnot?” he suggested. “Yeah, but we still need something to wash it down with. GOD! This is soo frustrating! I wish I was fighting an apocalypse or something!”

“Hey guys, how’s everything going?” Willow asked while entering the kitchen, she sensed the negative energy from the living room and wondered what the problem could be.

“Nothing much just that genius over here put too much ice in the punch!”

“I did exactly what you told me too!” he defended himself.

“Hey now, I’m sure it can be fixed.”

“No, Willow, I won’t let you use magic, your cut off remember?” Buffy voice was stern, but caring. She didn’t want her friend to go off the deep end. It was time for some tough love. She remembered what Tara had told her about how bad Willow was getting, how worse it could get, and she was determined not to lose another one close to her.

“Cut off? First of all you’re not my mother, you can’t cut me off from anything. But I did promise Tara that I would lay off the magic for a while, and besides I was only going to suggest that you stir the punch and turn it into a slushy,” he voice was calm, wanting to get her point across but not wanting to start anything, once she was finished saying all that she needed to say she smiled at Buffy letting her know there wasn’t any hard feelings and made her way back to the living room with the rest of the Scooby gang.

“Now, how come you didn’t think of that,” he smirked.

“Shut- up Spike.”

--

“Excuse me sir? Is there anything I can help you with?” The librarian asked as he approached William.

“Oh, no thank you, I’m not quite sure what it is I’m looking for,” he smiled politely and was very grateful to the librarian for talking the time to tend to him.

“Well I’ll be at my desk if you need me, I hope you find what you’re looking for.”

“Yes, thank-you,”

The librarian nodded and went back to his desk. He was starting to get worried about the poor boy. He had been in the same section for almost 3 hours now, he seemed like he was lost. But perhaps he was just a picky reader. He watched William carefully, there was something peculiar about him, but he just couldn’t put his fingerer on it.

“Excuse me Donald, I don’t mean to be in your way, I just need to pick up a book I left here last night.” “Oh, dear, Mr. Laurence, you startled me.”

“Oh, I’m terribly sorry, I just came by to check on you and too pick up my book. How is your first day going?”

“Quite well I should say. Although there seems to be a young man that’s been here for almost 3 hours now, just wondering around in section C. Is it just me Mr. Laurence or does that seen quite peculiar to you?”

“Yes it does, um what did you say his name was?”

“I didn’t, but he’s just over there if you care to take a peak.”

Taking a quick glance at William he turned his attention back over to Donald. “Why that’s just William.”

“William?” He questioned.

“Yes, William, you know the one I’ve been telling you about.”

TBC…


Chapter End Notes:
Really very sorry for the extreme delay in the update! I truly am, I really hope you guys are still reading this and I will try to get the next one up asap. I currently have no beta so sorry for the mistakes, if there are any and please forgive me for them, if anyone would like to be my beta you can email me... sorry once again and please review :D