**

Chapter 3

Willow sat down with Buffy at the piano.

“That was beautiful.” Willow commented after a long silence.

Buffy nodded to her oldest friend.

“How is he?” Willow asked.

“Same.” Buffy answered sadly. Willow watched as Buffy built the walls around her and practically became a different person.

“So, you have a concert coming up huh? You guys are doing really well.” Buffy smiled brightly.

“Yeah, we’re doing well now that Spike is back on track.” Willow answered excitedly, she knew it was a distraction but she couldn’t help but get caught up in her work.

“Would you mind if I came over a few more times to work on the song, it’s not quite how I want it.” Buffy asked suddenly and Willow nodded her head vigorously in assent.

Buffy let out a mental sigh of relief, even spending an hour with Willow and Oz was a blessing; she hadn’t seen them in a few years. She had called Oz’s parents a couple of days ago and got their new number.

When she had called Oz had sounded really pleased to hear from her. Then when the phone passed to Willow she had spent a further four hours on the phone.

“What about you and Oz?” Buffy asked happily once again.

“I don’t know Buffy, sometimes I think he likes me but then I have to think of the band, what if things don’t work out?” Willow let out a ramble.

“He so likes you, you can tell by the way he looks at you. I can’t believe you didn’t get together before now, and you can’t think the ‘what if’s’. Go for it.” Buffy stated passionately.

“We never got together because I was dating Xander and he was dating Amy.” Willow explained.

“Yeah, but your both free now.” Buffy nudged.

“I guess.” Willow grinned sheepishly.

“What’s the deal with Spike?” Buffy asked curiously.

“He’s not normally so moody, but after all that shit with Dru, he’s really thrown himself into his music. I think he’s afraid that if he cuts loose it’ll all go downhill again for him.” Willow explained their band mate’s attitude.

“Come on, we’ll go get a coffee.” Willow tugged at her arm and dragged her to the kitchen.

The phone rang as she put the coffee machine into action.

“Hang on for a sec.” willow called and darted out of the room.

Buffy heard the strumming of a guitar wafting through from the front room and her feet carried her closer to the music. She stood in the door way of the kitchen and watched Spike as he played. His eyes were closed and she smiled at his innocent looking face.

She almost jumped when his soft husky voice started to sing along with the music. She stared at him and felt her knees go slightly weak; he had a beautiful voice she noted.

When she looked at his face again she jumped when she noticed his eyes were now open and staring at her.

“See anything you like?” he asked in a leering voice.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Not particularly, I was just wondering how such a great voice comes out of something looking like you.” Buffy shocked herself by being so rude but he had caught her off guard, she just hoped she hadn’t offended him to much.

To her surprise Spike threw back his head and laughed.

“It took years of serious and dedicated abuse to look this good.” He commented wryly and Buffy smiled.

“You have a beautiful voice luv, do you sing professionally?” He asked still smiling.

“No I don’t, and before you offer, I have no intention of getting on your casting couch for an interview with your manager.” She answered cutely.

“I’m sure Willow would give you an interview without the casting couch.” Spike chuckled again. This girl had some fire; it was one or the other for his usually. Girls either throwing themselves at him or they turned into star struck gibbering idiots. It was refreshing to have a normal conversation.

“So you don’t want to have my babies? I’m crushed.” He added smirking.

“That is a pleasure I will have to pass on, thank you though.” Buffy answered with a serious face but ruined it when she laughed a second later.

“Honestly luv, why don’t you sing, your good enough to make it.” Spike asked curiously, her voice had had an incredible effect on him.

“I don’t want to. I like to sing for me, I have no interest in being followed around or being hounded by the public, I like my life the way it is.” Buffy answered sincerely and it shocked Spike. For him the whole point of life was the rush he felt when he was on stage, or when he was recognized in the street, he loved it.