Chapter 13

Buffy was in her kitchen making some hot chocolate that her mom used to always make while Spike was in the living room talking with her dad. They were sitting in silence waiting for Buffy to come back when Hank suddenly spoke. “So, I take it Buffy told you about me?” Spike wasn’t sure how he knew that, but he just nodded. “I’m not sure what you did this weekend, but I don’t think I have ever seen my daughter this happy before. It’s good that she can be happy and not worry about me all the time. I just wanted to thank you for taking her mind off of it. I don’t need any details, but I just wanted you to know that I appreciate you being there for her.” Spike nodded when he was finished.

“I really do love your daughter, Mr. Summers.” Hank nodded also.

“I know you do and that’s why I want you to promise me something.” Spike agreed and waited for him to continue. Hank took a breath before he spoke again. “I don’t seem to be getting any better and the doctors are doing everything they can, but I don’t think it will be enough. I don’t want to worry Buffy, but there is a chance that I might not have much longer.” He saw that Spike was about to say something and he held up his hand so Spike would let him finish. “I can see how much you love her and she needs that right now. I want you to promise me that when I go, you’ll take care of her. She’s all I have in this world and I want to know that when I’m gone, she’ll be taken good care of.” He seemed to be done and looked at Spike. Spike looked back at him and nodded.

“I promise, I won’t let anything happen to her.” Hank nodded feeling a little better when Buffy then came out of the kitchen holding a tray with three hot chocolates on it. She handed them each a cup and sat down on the couch next to Spike. He smiled and put his arm around her. He thought about the conversation he had with her father. He may have failed at protecting his sister, but he wouldn’t fail with Buffy. He looked at her and kissed the top of her head. He would never let her go, that was a promise. Buffy walked over to Faith’s house the next day which happened to be a few houses down from hers because Faith was supposed to be driving them to work. She knocked on the door and when no one answered she turned the knob to find that it was unlocked. She walked into the house and headed to the living room and she wasn’t prepared for what she found. Faith was on the floor with another man that she didn’t recognize and they were both practically naked.

“Oh god, I didn’t see anything.” Buffy said as she covered her eyes. Faith covered herself up when she saw Buffy there.

“B, what are you doing here?” Faith asked.

“You were supposed to take me to work, remember? I really wish you would have kept your door locked, anyone could have walked in.” Buffy explained with her hands still over her eyes. Faith sighed.

“You can uncover your eyes now.” Buffy wasn’t sure, but she did it anyway. She was happy that they were at least both covered.

“You couldn’t have done this in your room?” Faith shrugged.

“We didn’t manage to make it that far.” Buffy looked at the guy and he didn’t seem at all that embarrassed to be caught. He was an attractive African American man, definitely Faith’s type.

“You’re just lucky nobody else caught you. What about your parents and Dawn?” Faith shrugged again.

“The parentals are out of town as usual and Dawn’s at a friend’s house. You worry too much, B.” Buffy shook her head and then turned her gaze back to the man who has been quiet the whole time. Faith then realized that she didn’t introduce them. “Right, Buffy this is Gunn. Gunn this is my girl, Buffy. We met last night.” Faith told her and she nodded. Faith really didn’t waste time.

“Nice to meet you.” The man known as Gunn replied and Buffy gave him a smile.

“Likewise, even though I really wish I could have seen less of you.” She explained and then she heard the front door open.

“Faith, you here?” Buffy heard Angel say and Faith didn’t look happy.

“Shit, don’t let him come in here. Stall or something.” Faith told Buffy and she tried to catch Angel before he could walk into the living room. Faith and Gunn started to get dressed as fast as they could.

“Angel, what are you doing here?” Buffy said as she stopped him at the door.

“I just came over to get something. What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you both be at the diner?” Buffy nodded.

“Right, that’s why I’m here. Faith was supposed to drive me, but she had to take a shower so I just decided to wait.” Angel nodded and then tried to walk by her, but she just stepped in his way. “How are you, Angel? You know we really don’t get to talk much.” Angel raised his eyebrows at her.

“We talk all the time. Are you feeling okay?” Buffy nodded.

“Of course, never felt better. Do you think I look okay?” Angel took a moment to look at her.

“You look like you always do.” Buffy smiled.

“I guess I’m okay then.” At that moment Faith decided to walk in.

“Okay, I’m ready now.” She said as she smiled at her brother and Buffy sighed in relief.

“Right, well I’ll let you two go then.” He said as he shook his head and walked away. Buffy turned to Faith.

“What happened with Gunn?” She asked.

“I managed to sneak him out the back door. That was too close.” Buffy agreed.

“This is why you take the guys upstairs and that way you can sneak him out a window or something.” Faith rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, I get it. Let’s just get out of here.” Faith said as she grabbed her jacket and they both left the house.