Chapter 14

About a month later everyone was at Buffy’s house for her 19th birthday. She had bad luck with her birthdays in the past, but things seemed to be going well. Spike called from LA and said he would make it later and Buffy was really happy that he would be there. She smiled when someone knocked on the door and she excused herself to get it. When she opened the door it wasn’t who she was hoping it was, but it was still a good surprise. “Giles? Oh my god, what are you doing here?” Buffy said as she embraced the older man. He smiled at her when they let go.

“It’s your birthday, Buffy. Where else would I be?” Buffy gave him a huge smile.

“I can’t believe you came all the way from England just for my birthday.” She stated.

“Yes, well I wanted to be here. Your father called me and made me realize that it has been quite a while since I have visited.” Buffy looked over at her dad and went to hug him also.

“Thanks, daddy. This is the best present ever.” Hank kissed his daughter on the head.

“I wanted the day to be special for you.” She let go and looked at him.

“It really is.” They all walked into the living room to join everyone else and Giles saw the familiar dark haired woman sitting down and felt a little nervous. She looked up at him and gave him a smile.

“Hello, Rupert. It’s been a while.” She told him and he nodded.

“Yes, it has. It’s good to see you again, Jenny.” He told her and she moved over to make room for him on the couch. Giles and Jenny are old friends of Hank’s. Giles was the librarian at Sunnydale High until he got a job at a museum in England and it was too good of an offer to pass up on, so he moved back there to take the job. Jenny was a teacher at the high school and that’s where they met. They started going out, but then decided to see other people when Giles chose to take the job in England. They knew long distance relationships hardly ever worked out, but they never stopped having feelings for each other. They were also very close to Buffy’s mother and her death was hard on everyone. Joyce Summers had a brain tumor and passed away when Buffy was 15. Buffy got up again when she heard someone else knock on the door. She opened it to find Spike standing there with a bouquet of white roses. He gave her a smile and handed them to her.

“For the birthday girl.” Buffy returned his smile and took the roses from him.

“Thank you, they’re beautiful. I thought you weren’t coming for a second there.” She said as Spike walked in and she closed the door behind him.

“You know I wouldn’t miss spending time with my best girl.” Buffy blushed at the comment and then Dawn walked over to them.

“Cool, pretty roses. I wish I had a boyfriend.” She said as she gave Spike a smile. Buffy turned to the younger girl.

“Dawny, could you put these in some water for me?” Dawn nodded and took the roses from her. She gave Spike another smile before she walked into the kitchen. Buffy smiled also and shook her head as she looked at Spike. “I think someone has a crush on you.” She stated and Spike smiled at her.

“It wouldn’t be the first time, but my heart belongs to another.” He said as he gave Buffy a quick kiss on the lips. She then took him by the hand and walked in the living room where she introduced him to Giles who was happy to have another Englishman around. They started to get into a conversation about Manchester United and everyone else was lost after that. Buffy and Spike walked up to her room after everyone left. He wanted to give her his gift in private. They walked into her room and as soon as the door was closed, Spike grabbed her and pressed his lips to hers leaving her breathless.

“Wow, who cares about presents. I’ll just take a million more of those.” She said as he smiled at her and took her hand and moved her to the bed. She sat down and he sat next to her.

“I couldn’t think of anything really great to get you, but I hope you like this anyway.” He said as he pulled out a box from his pocket and handed it to her. She smiled at him as she took it. He was a little nervous when she opened the box. Buffy was confused when she saw a key inside. She took it out and inspected it.

“You got me a car because you know how I am with driving.” He laughed and shook his head.

“I wouldn’t get you a car, trust me on that. It’s a key to my new house that I just bought about two blocks from here infact.” Buffy looked surprised.

“Are you serious? Did you really buy a house here?” Spike nodded.

“Yep, I start moving stuff next week.” Buffy couldn’t hide her excitement as she attacked him in a hug.

“Oh my god! This is so great; I can’t believe you’re moving here.” Spike smiled at her excitement.

“Yeah, I figured it was about time for a change. There’s really nothing for me in LA anymore and now that I think about it the drive is really bloody annoying. Being close to you is just an added bonus.” Buffy pulled away to look at him.

“I can’t believe you’re doing this for me.” Spike tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

“I would do anything for you, Buffy. I know that you’re not planning on staying here forever, but this is so I can be closer to you until you make any big decisions and I hope to be included in those by the way. Wherever you go, I’m going with you. In the meantime it would be good to have a house here for when you ever want to come back because I know you’ll miss this place.” Buffy smiled again and kissed him on the lips.

“You are so amazing.” She whispered and it was his turn to kiss her.

“That’s funny; I was gonna say the same thing about you.” Buffy hugged him again and smiled when she realized that her curse of having bad birthdays was finally broken.