Chapter 18

Buffy didn’t let go of Spike’s hand as they both walked into the hospital. He could tell that she was nervous and he gave her hand a tight squeeze. They walked into the waiting room to find the others there. Faith stood up when she saw Buffy and went to hug her friend. Buffy hugged her back and was glad that they were all there. “Glad you came.” Faith told her when she pulled away.

“Yeah, Spike convinced me.” She said with a smile.

“I don’t know if I should be offended by the fact that you listened to him and not me, but I’ll let it go.” Buffy gave her another smile and she went over to the others who were all sitting down. Spike was away talking to the doctor. Willow stood up and embraced Buffy also.

“We’re all here for you.” Willow whispered in her ear and Buffy smiled at her when they broke apart.

“Thank you,” the others were just sitting in silence when Spike walked back over to Buffy.

“Looks like your father is awake, love. The doctor said you could go in and see him, but just you since visiting hours are over. I managed to talk him into it. It’s room 214.” Buffy nodded and took a deep breath before she headed to the room that her father was in. When she came to the room she took another breath before she walked in. She realized that it wasn’t as scary as she thought it would be. She found her father sitting up in bed and watching TV which is something he would usually do. She put on a brave face and walked over to him. His face lit up when he saw her.

“Buffy, I’m so glad you came.” He said as he took his daughter’s hand and she squeezed it as she sat down by his bed.

“Of course I would. How are you feeling, daddy?” He let out a sigh as he thought about it.

“I admit I’m not feeling as well as I used to. I think it’s finally starting to hit me how serious my condition is, but I’ll be alright.” Buffy really wished she could believe that.

“We’re all here for you. We want you to get better and come back to the diner, everyone misses you there.” Hank gave her a smile.

“I would love that, too. I miss that place.” Buffy nodded and looked away from him as tears started to form in her eyes. Hank noticed and made her look back at him. “Please don’t cry, sweetheart. You know I can’t stand to see you cry.” Buffy nodded and looked at him.

“I’m sorry; I just don’t know why this is happening. I’m really scared, dad. I don’t know what to do without you. I can hardly take care of myself.” Hank wiped some of her tears away.

“You will be fine, Buffy. You have others around you that love you. You won’t have to be alone.” Buffy nodded again and hugged him. Hank held her and kissed the top of her head. She couldn’t pretend that everything was okay now, she knew that her father was dying and there was nothing that anyone could do. The tears continued to fall as she hugged him.

“Tell mom I said hi.” She whispered in his ear and Hank let some of his tears fall also. He didn’t want to leave his little girl. It wasn’t fair.

“I love you, princess.” Hank said to her and she laughed a little through her tears. He hasn’t called her that since she was little.

“I love you, too.” Buffy whispered as they continued to hold each other until he got tired and Buffy let him get some sleep. She watched him for a little while longer before she then stood up and placed a kiss on his forehead. “Goodbye, daddy.” She whispered as she walked out of the room and headed back to the others.