Chapter 19

A few weeks went by and Spike went to Buffy’s house. He knocked on the door and Faith answered after a few seconds. “Hey, how is she?” He asked her and she shrugged and let him into the house.

“It doesn’t look good. She hasn’t slept and she’s hardly eating. She won’t even talk to anyone.” Spike sighed and noticed that Giles was also there.

“I take it you’ll be sticking around now.” He asked the older man and Giles nodded.

“Yes, I feel that I should be here for Buffy.” Spike nodded and then looked back at Faith.

“Is she upstairs?” Faith nodded also and Spike headed up the stairs without saying anything else. Faith watched him go and she just hoped that he could get through to her friend. Hank passed away a few days ago and Buffy has kept to herself since it happened. She seemed to shut everyone out after it happened, but no one ever saw her cry. Faith was more worried about that and wished that her friend would talk to her. Spike took a breath before he knocked on Buffy’s door. He didn’t hear a reply so he opened the door and walked in to find Buffy lying down on her bed. He walked over to her and sat down by her. She wouldn’t even look at him. “It’ll be okay, Buffy.” She remained quiet for a few seconds before she finally spoke.

“How can it be?” She said in a quiet tone and then finally turned to look at him. “There is nothing okay about this. There’s nothing okay about being alone.” She told him.

“You’re not alone, Buffy. You have me and all your friends. We all love you and we want to help.” Buffy turned away from him.

“No one can help me.” Spike really wished he could make her feel better. He reached out to touch her when she suddenly stood up. He pulled back and looked at her. “Oh god, I have to clean the house.” She told him in a panic. “I promised dad I would do it and I didn’t. I have to go.” She said as she ran out of her room and Spike went after her.

“Buffy, hold up!” He yelled after her and Faith and Giles just looked at Buffy when she got downstairs. She grabbed the vacuum and plugged it in. Spike tried to grab it away from her, but she wouldn’t let it go.

“No, I have to do this. I told him I would, I promised. He would be so disappointed in me.” Spike tried to grab it from her again.

“Buffy, you don’t have to do this. You’re just upset, your dad won’t care if you clean the house or not.” He tried to explain.

“He always liked it clean; I’ve been making things harder by not keeping it clean. I have to make things easier.” Faith and Giles watched them afraid to interfere. Buffy turned the vacuum on and Spike went over to the plug and pulled it out.

“You have to calm down, pet. You don’t have to do this now.” Buffy looked up at him and he finally saw the tears in her eyes.

“I have to, you don’t understand. I have to do something. If I stop then he’s really gone and I can’t think about that. I just can’t. I have to make things better.” Buffy grabbed the vacuum again when she looked up and saw the picture of her dad on the wall. He was smiling and seemed so happy. That was all it took for the dam to break and she began to cry. She put her hand over her mouth and dropped to the floor burying her head in her hands. “Oh god, daddy!” She stated through her sobs. Spike kneeled down next to her and wrapped his arms around her. She turned and buried her head in his chest as she continued to cry. Spike just held her and kissed the top of her head.

“It’s alright, Buffy. Let it all out, I’m right here.” He said to her and Faith let a few of her own tears fall when she saw how upset her friend was. She walked over to them and wrapped her arms around Buffy and continued to cry with her. Spike reached over and grabbed Faith also and he held them until the girls cried out all their tears. Giles just stood there and watched the display not knowing what to do.