Chapter 20

Buffy and Spike walked hand in hand to the cemetery. Buffy wasn’t sure about going at first, but Spike told her that it might make her feel better, so she agreed. They got there and found the tombstone they were looking for. Buffy kneeled down in front of it and placed the flowers that she held in her hand. Spike stepped back to give her some space. She traced the name with her fingers and brought her hand back down. “Hey, daddy. How are you?” She then laughed at what she said. “I guess that’s a stupid question. You can’t really answer me. I hope you can hear me though. I wanted to let you know that everything is going to be okay. I’m doing fine and I have my friends with me, so you don’t have to worry. I’m sure you’re up there with mom right now and maybe when the time comes I’ll be able to join the both of you again. You know a long time from now. I know you would want me to live a long, healthy life and that’s what I plan on doing. There’s so much I haven’t done yet, I just wish you could be here.” She took a breath as tears started to form in her eyes. “I love you, I hope you’re okay. I’ll come back to talk to you as much as I can. Yeah, everything’s going to be okay.” She whispered that last part and she was saying it more to herself than her father. She just hoped it would be true. She then kissed her fingertips and placed them on her father’s name. She stood up and reached behind her to grab Spike’s hand without even looking because she knew he was there. He took it and laced his fingers with hers. They stood there for a few more minutes until Buffy finally looked at Spike. “Let’s go home.” She told him and he nodded as they both walked out of the cemetery. Buffy and Spike met the others at the Bronze later that night. It was actually Buffy’s idea to go because she needed to get out. She couldn’t sulk in her room forever and she knew that her father would want her to get on with her life and be happy. Spike grabbed Buffy's hand and led her to the stage. He turned to look at her.

“You sure about this, love?” He asked her and she nodded.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” He nodded also and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. He then let her hand go and walked up on the stage. There was a band on stage this time. Spike grabbed the microphone and then nodded to the band behind him and they started to play. He took a deep breath before he began to sing.

I wanted you to know
That I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph
And I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain


While he was singing Buffy walked on the stage also and grabbed the other microphone and joined in.

'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't wanna feel right
when you're gone away


You’ve gone away
You don't feel me here anymore


Spike stopped and looked at Buffy as she began to sing by herself.

The worst is over now
And we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high and steal my pain away
There's so much left to learn
And no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain


He grabbed the microphone again and joined in with her.

'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away


They stopped and let the band play for a bit. They looked at each other and smiled before they began again.

'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away


The band began to play again and Spike noticed tears form in Buffy’s eyes, but she continued the song with him.

'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you’re gone away


You've gone away
You don’t feel me anymore


When the song ended the audience exploded in applause and Spike grabbed Buffy’s hand and they both took a bow which now had Buffy laughing even though she still had tears coming down her face. Spike then wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her hair. “You were amazing.” He whispered to her and she pulled away and gave him a smile.

“So were you.” She said as he took her hand again and led her back to where their friends were waiting with big smiles on their faces. They were all talking about how great their performance was and how great they sounded together and how surprised they were that Buffy would agree to do it. Buffy was feeling a lot better the next day at the diner when Spike walked in with a big smile on his face.

“You are going to love me.” He told her and she smiled at him.

“I kinda already do.” Spike shook his head.

“You’re going to love me even more. I have something for you.” He then handed her an envelope and she took it and wondered what it could be. Her face lit up when she opened it.

“Oh my god, Spike! You got us tickets to Germany! This is so cool!” She exclaimed as she hugged him and he smiled at her excitement. She pulled away and gave him a kiss on the lips. “You are the best boyfriend ever.” She told him.

“You better believe it. I know how you’ve always wanted to go to Europe and I figured Germany was a good start. It’s beautiful there at this time of year and I knew you would love it.” Buffy smiled again.

“I definitely love it.” She took the tickets out of the envelope and then realized something. “Why are there three tickets?” She asked him and Spike only smiled at her when Faith walked over to them and put her arm around Buffy.

“You didn’t think you were going without me, did you?” Buffy smiled and hugged Faith when she realized that the third ticket was for her.

“This is so great.” She said as she looked back at Spike. “I can’t believe you did this.” Spike shrugged.

“Think nothing of it. We leave in a week so that will give you ladies plenty time to decide on what to bring.” Buffy smiled and started talking to Faith about what they would need and Spike smiled again at seeing how happy Buffy was. Buffy caught him looking at her and gave him another smile. She realized that with Spike by her side everything would be okay. She was finally starting to believe it.

The End

The song was “Broken” by Seether featuring Amy Lee. How great is that song? That’s all I have to say about it. I couldn’t resist putting it in here. I think it really worked even though I’m still having a hard time trying to picture the two of them singing that, but it worked out. Well, hope ya’ll liked my somewhat corny ending. I couldn’t think of any other way to end it. Germany really is a beautiful country and I wanted to choose a place that I've been to. Well, thanks to those of you that reviewed. I appreciated all of the comments=)