Chapter 3

Buffy was humming to herself as she walked home when she heard something behind her. She turned and didn’t see anything so she shrugged it off and continued to walk. She was minding her own business when three guys then walked in front of her, blocking her way. The one in front gave her a twisted smile. “Well, look what we have here boys. She’s a pretty little thing, isn’t she?” The guys laughed and Buffy just ignored them and tried to walk by when the same man that spoke grabbed her arm. “Where do you think you’re going, sweetheart? We’re not done talking with you yet.” Buffy pulled her arm out of his grasp.

“Well, I’m done listening.” She said in a calm voice and the guys laughed.

“Got us a feisty one here, I love that in a woman.” Buffy gave him a sweet smile.

“Then you’ll love this.” She said as she brought her knee up into his groin. He groaned and fell to the ground. Buffy again tried to walk away when the other two guys grabbed her. The one on the ground stood up and glared at her.

“You’ll pay for that you stupid bitch!” He spat as he raised his fist like he was going to hit her when someone grabbed his arm from behind. The man turned around only to be met with a fist in the face. He fell back down to the ground.

“I don’t think the lady likes that, mate.” The stranger said and then he looked at the other two guys that were still holding Buffy. “We can do this the hard way or...well, actually there’s just the hard way. You either let her go or join your buddy there.” He said as he pointed to the guy still on the ground. “The choice is yours.” The two men looked at each other and then at their injured friend and they let Buffy go and took off in the other direction, leaving their friend on the ground. The stranger sent the other guy a glare when he then got up and ran after his friends. He shook his head. “Bloody pillocks.” He stated as he turned his attention on Buffy. “You alright, love?” He asked her and she nodded and it was then that she recognized him and realized that he was the guy from the diner.

“Yeah, that was pretty cool.” She said and he smiled at her.

“Not my first time. My name’s Spike by the way. You’re Buffy, right?” Buffy nodded.

“How did you know my name?” She wondered.

“Well, you work at that diner. I’ve read your nametag once or twice.” He explained and she nodded again.

“Right, well thanks again.” She said as she started to walk away.

“Wait, why don’t I walk you home? There are a lot of crazies out there.” He wasn’t ready for her to walk away yet. Buffy looked at him and wasn’t sure. He did just help her out, but he could have just done it so she would trust him and then when she least expected it he would turn on her.

“Okay,” she said without realizing it. He was really hot and she was only human. He smiled at her and they continued to walk to her house, neither having much to say.

“So, I saw you dancing at the Bronze tonight. You were pretty good.” Buffy blushed again.

“Yeah, I’m usually not like that. My friend convinced me to do it.” Spike nodded.

“Right, that brunette you were dancing with. She also works at the diner, right?” Buffy nodded.

“Yep, that would be her. We’ve been friends for a long time even though we’re both so different.” Spike nodded also.

“She’s asked me out at least twice now. I’m not sure she knows how to take no for an answer.” Buffy stopped suddenly.

“You turned her down?” Spike looked at her.

“Yeah, why is that such a surprise?” Buffy shrugged.

“Well, it’s Faith. No guy has ever turned her down before. Are you gay?” Spike looked appalled.

“No, I’m not gay. I don’t look gay, do I? Is it the hair?” Buffy had to laugh at that.

“No, I’m sorry. The hair’s fine. Maybe a little 80’s, but it looks good. I’m just surprised that you turned her down.” Spike sighed in relief. He really didn’t want her to think he was gay.

“Don’t get me wrong. She’s a nice looking girl, but she’s not what I’m looking for right now. She reminds me a little too much of my ex-girlfriend. I’m looking for someone a little...different.” He said as he looked at her and something about the look made her nervous so she turned away from his gaze.

“Oh, this is me.” She said as they finally got to her house. “Thanks again for walking me home, you really didn’t have to.” Spike shrugged.

“Glad I could help, I guess I’ll be seeing you again.” Buffy looked confused for a second. “At the diner? Since I happen to go there almost every day and you happen to work there.” Buffy smiled.

“Right, I forgot. I’ll see you around then, thanks again.” She said as she walked into her house. She closed the door and rested her head on it. Spike was standing outside her house for a few minutes before he finally managed to walk away with a big smile on his face.