Chapter 4

Buffy was at the diner the next day cleaning off a table when she heard the door open and looked up to see Spike walk in. She couldn’t resist staring at him and he noticed her and gave her a smile as he sat at his usual table. Buffy blushed a little and then walked over to Faith. “So, I see Mr. Hottie is back. I wonder if I can get him to go out with me this time. I mean I’ve never had to ask a guy this much before. What do you suppose his deal is? Do you think he’s gay?” Faith asked Buffy and she laughed a little at that.

“I don’t know, you should probably ask him.” Faith nodded.

“That’s probably it. I mean what straight guy would turn me down?” Buffy shrugged.

“You got me there.” Buffy started wiping off the counter when Spike then got up and walked over to her. She stopped what she was doing to look at him.

“Hey, do you have a second?” Buffy looked at him and then Faith who was raising an eyebrow at her. She turned her gaze back on Spike and nodded.

“Yeah, we can go in the back.” He nodded also and followed her to the back of the diner. She took a deep breath and turned to look at him. “So, what can I help you with?” Spike also took a breath before answering her.

“I came in here about a month ago by accident and the only reason I’ve been coming back is because of you. I mean the coffee is good too, but that’s not why I keep coming here. I keep coming because I get to see you and I wanted to apologize for that lame line about asking for your phone number the other day. I mean I have been meaning to ask you that, but I didn’t mean to do it like that. I’m not a perv or a sex crazed maniac or anything and yeah I did notice you at the Bronze last night and I did follow you when you left, but I don’t want you to think that I’m some stalker or anything. I mean I’ve never really done anything like this before and I think it’s because I’ve never been this interested in anyone before.” He took a breath when he was finished and smiled at her. “I also think that’s the most I’ve ever said at one time.” Buffy smiled also and then seemed shy when she processed everything he just told her.

“Look, you do seem like a nice guy and I don’t think you’re crazy. I’m just not really looking for anyone at the moment. I just got out of a relationship not that long ago and I have a lot going on in my life right now and I really don’t need anything to complicate things. I’m really flattered by what you said, but I think I’m going to have to pass.” Spike nodded accepting her answer even though he didn’t like it.

“Yeah, I figured that. Who broke up with whom?” Spike asked her and Buffy wondered where that came from.

“He broke up with me.” Spike shook his head.

“He’s a bloody idiot.” Buffy gave him a smile.

“Thank you and I’m really sorry.” Spike waved his hand in the air.

“Don’t worry about it. I mean you’re young, you don’t need some old guy in your life anyway.” He told her.

“Now that’s not being fair, I’m sure you’re not that old. How old are you anyway?” She asked now interested.

“I’m 27.” He replied.

“Oh, well that’s not so bad.” She said trying to make him feel better.

“Really, and how old would you be?” Buffy looked shy before she answered.

“I turn 19 in two months.” Spike nodded.

“I stand corrected.” He stated. “Look, I’m just gonna go. I’m sorry I bothered you.” He was about to walk away when Buffy stopped him.

“You’re not bothering me. It really means a lot what you said and I was grateful for you last night. I don’t want you to think that you can’t come in here anymore because I would really like it if you would. We could always be friends.” Spike thought about it.

“You sure I wouldn’t be cramping your style?” Buffy smiled and shook her head.

“Hardly, one of my best friends is 28 so I think you’ll fit right in.” She told him.

“That makes me feel better then. Friends it is.” He said as he held his hand out to her and she shook it. It took him a little while to let her hand go. “So, don’t friends usually exchange phone numbers?” He told her with a smirk and she rolled her eyes.

“Alright, I’ll give it to you.” She said as she went into her pocket and took out her pad and pen. She wrote down her number and ripped the paper off the pad and gave it to him. He looked at it and then back at her.

“Thanks,” he said as he went into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He placed the paper in and pulled out a card. He handed it to her and she looked at it.

“You live in LA?” She asked as she looked back up at him and he nodded. “Okay, let me get this straight. You live in LA and you drive two hours almost every day just to come here for coffee when I’m sure you could find a Starbuck’s that’s closer.” Spike smiled at her.

“I told you, I didn’t come here just for the coffee.” Buffy didn’t know what to think about that.

“I may decide to change my comment about you not being crazy.” He laughed.

“Yeah, I guess I am. I really don’t mind the drive though. I love driving even if I don’t have a destination. Do you drive?” Buffy shook her head.

“Really don’t, me and driving don’t work together.” She explained.

“You’re really missing out. Well, I guess I should get going now. I’ll be seeing you.” Buffy nodded.

“Right, have a safe drive.” He smiled at her.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Spike said as he turned and walked away. Buffy stood there for a few more minutes until she then went to join Faith.