Chapter 6

Buffy was wiping off the counter when she looked up and saw a young girl walk into the diner. She gave the girl a smile. "Hey, Dawny. Shouldn't you be in school right now?" She walked over to Buffy.

"I had an early release today. I actually needed to ask Faith something." Buffy nodded.

"She's in the back." Dawn headed back there when Buffy spoke again. "Dawn, could you tell your sister that she needs to get her ass back out here? She takes too many breaks and I could use some help." Dawn nodded and went to go find her older sister. Buffy went back to what she was doing. Buffy walked into her house later that night to hear voices coming from the living room. She knew one of them was her father and he seemed upset. The other was a woman trying to talk to him.

"You need to calm down, Hank. It's going to be okay." Hank started pacing back and forth.

"It's not going to be okay, Jenny. How can I talk to my only daughter about this? This is the last thing she needs right now. I don't want her to get hurt." Jenny put a hand on his shoulder.

"You know you have to tell her. You can't hold it off much longer; she has a right to know." Hank nodded and rubbed his face.

"I know, I just don't know how to break this to her." Buffy heard enough when she then made her presence known.

"What's going on?" She asked and Hank and Jenny turned to look at her.

"Sweetie, what are you doing home so early?" Buffy shook her head.

"Don't change the subject. What were you talking about?" She then looked at Jenny like she just noticed the other woman standing there. "Why are you here, Jenny? What's wrong?" Jenny looked at the girl and then at Hank and she nodded to him that it was about time to tell her. Hank agreed and put his arm around Buffy and walked her over to the couch where they both sat down. Jenny took that as her cue to leave.

"I guess I'll let you two talk. I'll see you later, Hank." She said as she gave Buffy one more look before she walked out of the house. Buffy watched her go and then turned back to her father waiting for him to say something. He took a deep breath before he spoke.

"Honey, I have something to tell you and there's no easy way to say this." Buffy was really starting to get worried as she grabbed her father's hand.

"Just tell me, I can take it." Hank nodded and brushed some hair out of her face. She was so grown up, but she would always be his little girl. He took another breath before he replied.

"I've been seeing a doctor lately and that's why I haven't been at the diner as much. Buffy, about several months ago I was diagnosed with Cancer. It seems my lungs aren't as good as they used to be." Buffy was shocked at what he was saying. She couldn't believe that her father was sick. She knew that he smoked, but he wasn't doing it as much as he used to. She never knew something like this would happen.

"You're...you're going to be okay, aren't you?" She asked him afraid of what his answer would be.

"I'm not sure. I'm seeing the best doctor in all of California and I'm getting all the necessary treatments, but right now it's too soon to tell. It seems we caught it at an early stage, we'll just have to wait and see." Buffy nodded and looked away as she felt tears in her eyes. "Please don't cry, honey. I hate to see you upset." She tried to control her emotions as she looked back at him.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She asked him in a shaky voice.

"I didn't want to worry you. I wanted you to go on with your life and be happy; I didn't want to burden you with this until it was necessary." Buffy hugged him.

"It's not a burden. I love you, daddy. I can't lose you, too. I already lost mom." Hank tried not to let his tears fall also as he held his daughter to him.

"You won't lose me, Buffy. I love you and I'm not going anywhere. I won't let some little disease beat me, I'm stronger than that. We'll get through this together." Buffy nodded as she continued to hug him. She didn't know what she would do if she lost her father. She couldn't think about it and she just hoped that he would be okay.