Chapter 1

Buffy lay on the bed staring at the ceiling trying to work out what she was doing there and how she had gotton there. She didn’t have the courage to call for anyone and was just staring. She was having hard time trying to work out where the scaring she could feel came from. There was a faint scar on her stomach and she could feel one on her back, it was very long. She struggled to sit up and found her strength to be greatly diminished, she felt like she was normal (without slayer strength). She stretched slowly and slowly pulled the needle out of her hand wincing as it came out. She felt her head and noticed her hair was quite long making her think she might have been there for a while.

The last thing she remembered was fuzzy, something about blue and pain but otherwise she was having trouble remembering what had happened.

Buffy got up slowly and walked to the door and looked out, her body was having trouble staying up but she pushed her self to hold the handle to keep her upright. Upon seeing no one around she walked back to the bed and found the call switch and pressed the button and sat back on the bed calmly waiting for someone to arrive.

The person that stuck there head in looked at her surprised and could only stare at her. She smiled and said “So going to tell me what the hell I am doing here?”

He looked taken aback and said “Err well you had an accident, no one expected to wake up! Do you know who you are?” She rolled her eyes and said “Well duh, I’m Buffy Anne Summers, who’re you and what accident?” He looked shocked and said “Right Ms Summers, you were in a car accident, just let me get the doctor, don’t move”.

She sighed and watched him go and tried to remember this car accident. Also the way he said her name made her think something more was going on. He came back rather quickly with a female doctor following who looked rather excited.

She came over to Buffy quickly and started taking her pulse and blood pressure and checking for damage. She asked “What year is it?” Buffy replied with “2001”. The doctor nodded and said “Your name?” “Buffy” “Mother?” “Joyce but she died early this year” The doctor kept going and said “Father” “Hank and he’s a bastard”. She nodded again and said “Last thing you remember”. Buffy bit her lip and said “A blue light and agony.” The doctor hmmm and said “Well as far as I can see without running a cat scan you seem to be in perfect health. We still need to run a few tests but it is a miracle you survived without any brain damage.”

Buffy nodded and said “So going to tell me any time soon what happened and where my sister is?” The doctor tilted her head and looked at her chart and said “Sister?” Buffy nodded and said “You know Dawn, yah high, brown hair, pretty, 14 turning 15 my little sister?” The doctor looked at the man and gave him a look and turned back to Buffy and said “You’ve never had a little sister Buffy!” Buffy raised her eyebrow but quickly said “That must have been a dream then.” The doctor narrowed her eyes and said “Right. Anyway, you were in a car accident, your family will be very shocked and happy to find out your alright after so long.” Buffy raised her head and said “How long?” The doctor once again looked at the man and then back at Buffy and said “2 years.” Buffy was glad she was sitting down because she knew she would have fallen. All she could say was “Oh”.

The doctor touched her shoulder and said “Is there someone you want us to call before we contact your father?” She thought about it for a second but knew the only person she wanted to talk to other then her friends was Angel. She nodded and said “Can I borrow a phone book and a phone”. The doctor nodded and said “There are also some phone numbers on your chart. After your done and with the support of your friends, we will finish with the tests.” She nodded and the doctor left the room with the man yet to be named.

The doctor came back after a few minutes and handed her numbers and phone book and told her that they would check her every 5 minutes to see she is ok.


Buffy looked down at the numbers and saw three names; William O’Connor, Liam O’Connor and Hank Summers. One name familiar although the other two might be an alias. Buffy looked in the phone but didn’t find what she was looking for. She sighed and put her hand to her head before grabbing the phone and dialling the number she knew so well just in case. Of course it turned up disconnected! Buffy sighed and looked back at the names on the list. She dialled Liam’s number first, the name was familiar to her but she didn’t know why. The phone was picked up on the third ring by a female;

“Hello” “Um hi, is Liam O’Connor there” “Hang on” “Liam, phone, Dawn put that down” Buffy gasped at the name but didn’t say anything. A males voice said “Hello” Buffy’s eyes went huge when she realized who it was, she said softly “Angel?” “Who is this?” Buffy held her breathe but let out in a rush saying “Oh god, it is so strange, one minute I feel like I am dying and then they are telling me that it’s been two years, I don’t know what is happening. I’m so confused, and then your name Liam it is.” “Buffy???” “Yes” Silence “But your in a coma” “Hence the strangeness” “I’ll be right there”.

Buffy put the handset down staring at it before pressing the nurse’s button and waiting for the doctor. She came within seconds and Buffy said “Can we do the tests now before he comes”. The doctor nodded and said “It won’t take more than half an hour, your lucky this is a private hospital.” She nodded not even bothering with how strange that sentence sounded.

The tests took like the doctor said half an hour and Buffy was back in her room waiting for Angel.

She looked up when she heard a noise and saw Angel staring at her. That wasn’t the shock, the shock was seeing him out of breathe looking at her with tears in his eyes. She smiled and said softly “Hey”. He rushed her and hugged her like she was delicate and started crying. She shushed him and held him to her and said “Hey it’s ok.” He wiped his eyes and smiled and said “ Sorry, it’s just we all thought you wouldn’t make it.” She nodded and said “So what’s happening”. He smiled and held tightly to her hands and said “not a lot, you?” She shook her head and pulled her hand from his and touched his heart and said “This is a lot”. He looked confused and said “What?” She looked at him carefully and said “Your alive?” He looked even more confused and said “Aren’t I usually?” Buffy touched her head and said “This is going to sound strange but I am starting to think some things so I need you to clear something up ok?” He nodded and she said “Tell me about my life!” He looked at her carefully but said “Uh ok, we’ve been best friends since we were 7, well you were 4 but so was William so we grew up together. William and I both fell in love with you at the age of 16 and I was 19 although I had loved you since 17. You however decided you loved William; we had the whole anger thing but got over it. William and you got married when you turned 19 your 22 now. Two years and 7 months ago you found out you were pregnant and you and William were ecstatic. 7 months into your pregnancy you decided to go see a new movie and the car skidded out of control and now here you are today, that is of course the condensed version.”

Buffy could only stare at him but she also felt the stitches and said “Dawn?” Angel looked at her surprised and said “How?” Buffy smiled still shocked and said “Heard the lady say her name”. He nodded and said “ William had to go somewhere so he left Dawn with us, Why didn’t you call him?”

She looked down and said “I don’t remember him”. He tilted his head and said “You remember me?” She looked up and said “Sort of but not the way you remember it”. He nodded and said “Right, not going to ask, so you going to call him?” She looked back down and said “I don’t even remember any of this, what I remember is so not what you remember and they would lock me up if I told them what I do remember, so I won’t, I’ll work it out for my self and I am rambling aren’t I?” He couldn’t help but smile a little and said “I think you should tell him you’re alive even if you don’t remember him and as for the crazy part, I could never think that no matter what you said”. She smiled and squeezed his hand and said “Can you call him?”

He shook his head but said “Yeah sure ok”. He got out a cell phone and Buffy listened to the one sided conversation. “Hey Will” “No I won’t Call you that” “Look shut up for a minute would you” “That thing that you always wanted to happen had.” “No not that you idiot and if I could see you, I would smack you” “Shut up and tell the one person you want in the world” (Angel looked at Buffy) “I am staring at her eyes right this minute” “Don’t be a dipshit I would not. She’s awake you idiot”. Angel looked at his phone stunned before putting it back and said “Guess that means he either thinks I am playing a joke or he is coming here.”

Buffy took a deep breathe and said “God this is so weird. Married with a 2 year old. My life has seriously taken a strange turn”. He smiled and took a small breathe and said “I have to tell something about William that you may find strange. Don’t say anything! After your accident William blamed himself. He threw himself into trying to help with Dawn. She was two months premmie and we took her home when she was 3 months old. He took her home and continued to deny everyone access. Eventually he let me help him and sometimes he let Willow help but no one else. He changed though, he decided he didn’t want to look like Buffy’s William, your William but someone else. He dyed his hair blonde, really blonde and changed his clothes to black. I know you don’t remember him but when you see him it may not spark any memory because he doesn’t look like him anymore. He doesn’t have brown curls, or wear jeans and coloured t-shirts. He doesn’t even go by William anymore but I am not telling his new name, it is too crude.”

Buffy nodded not really taking it in as to her it wasn’t really real. Angel shook his head and said “He actually wasn’t far from here so he should be here any minute.”

Buffy shot up a little and said “What?” Angel smiled and took her hand in his again and said “Don’t worry.”

The door swung and Buffy looked up and suddenly her mouth fell open and she said in a tone which read unbelieving “SPIKE???”

Spike smirked at Angel and said “You told her my new name”. Angel stared at her and said “No”.

She stared at Angel and got up off the bed quickly and said “Ok No way, now I get the whole you human thing sure but now you are telling me I am married to him. God I would never no way. Not in any dimension and this is what this is, another dimension. I mean come on what else could it be.”

Both men stared at her and Spike said “Ok Luv, I think you need to sit down.” Angel said “William, I thought the first thing you would be doing is rushing to hug her or you know something”. Spike gave him a sad smile and said “things change.” Buffy stared at them and said “So your William, Spike is William, great this just keeps getting better, next you will tell me you’re married to Faith.” Both men’s head shot up and Buffy looked at them incredulously and said “You’re married to Faith? You Married Faith”. Spike looked down and Angel said “It only lasted a week, they were drunk.” Buffy rolled her eyes and said “Oh yeah my life can’t get any worse.”

Spike smirked but Buffy could see something in her eyes, something hidden there. Buffy looked up at Angel and said “So married huh? Faith, I can deal with that, have before. So when can I get out of here because I really don’t like it here”. Spike shook his head at Buffy and said “Same old Buff.” Buffy nodded and said “So can I go.”

Inside she was trying to think if this was real, could she live a normal life. And if she was why couldn’t she be with Angel, not Spike. Was she destined to never be with him even when she could?