Buffy sat cradling Toby in her arms trying to work out what she should do. It had been two days and he hadn’t come back and she had sat holed up crying and looking after her children by herself. Willow tried to talk to her but she brushed her off, Angel kept out of her way and Faith for once kept silent even though she was in their house.

Dawn kept pestering her about her father but Buffy would just smile sadly and not answer her questions. At this moment Willow was over trying to convince her to eat but she just continued to stare at Toby in her arms trying to piece together what the hell was going on. She didn’t even react when someone knocked on the door and Willow got up to answer it.

Willow was worried, Buffy hadn’t slept in two days and was barely talking to anyone, she was on autopilot. Willow tried to get her to eat but Buffy continued to ignore her and when she heard knocking she sighed and got up to answer it. Faith and Angel decided to go out and have some fun since the last two days had been nerve wracking so that left Willow in charge of Buffy watching.

When she opened the door she was shocked to say the least, in front of her stood William looking a little smug. He smirked and said “Decided the nibblet can come back to England with me, luv, so I came to round up her stuff.” Willow’s mouth flew open and she leant back a little and saw Dawn hugging her mother and Toby in an attempt to jar her out of it. Willow sighed against the wall and opened the door wider to let William in.

He saw her immediately and a part of his mind wandered what was wrong with her. The second thing he saw was the child she was cradling before he saw Dawn whispering in her ear and hugging her. She looked like a shell, like someone who had lost everything all at once and didn’t know how to get it back. He tried not to let his emotions react to this sight and swallowed back his instinct to hug her and said “Hey nibblet, you ready to come home.”

Dawn looked up at him with eyes beyond her years and said “Mummy come too?” He shook his head and said “Nah, just me and you, pet.” She shook her head and said “Toby?” He looked confused and said “Who?” She reached a tiny hand and pointed to the baby and said in a proud voice “This is my brother, Toby, look mummy said our hair is going to be the same, see it started blonde but now it is turning my colour, but she said his eyes will always be her colour, not ours.” He looked at her shocked but came a little closer and looked at the baby in question. Before he got a good look Buffy stood up and without paying him any heed went over to Willow and said “ I’m going to go back.” Willow looked at William in shock and then back at Buffy and said “What? Why?”

Buffy then looked at William acknowledging him for the first time and then back at Willow and said “There isn’t anything for me here, Dawn will have Dru as much as that kills me, Spike, he well, he loves me, even if he could kill me at any time, I can’t handle being here, living like this.” Willow looked at William again and saw his confusion and she knew he still did not believe one word of this truth.

She (Willow) stopped Buffy and said “Give me five minutes and give me Toby.” Buffy looked at her warily but did as she asked and walked out of the room to take a shower.

Willow went over to William and said “Hold out you arms”. He looked suspicious but did as he was asked and she put the wriggling baby in his arms. She then said “Look at him carefully because this is your first born son, I’ll leave you alone.”

William run his fingertips over the infants face slowly memorising the lines, before going over to the couch and putting him on lap. He said softly “So you think you’re mine do you?” Toby giggled and stared up at him trying to reach for his fingers. William put his finger in his little hand allowing him to grasp it while studying him. He said out loud “Her eyes, her nose, my hair, my lips, suppose it could be.” Toby eyes started to water and he got up quickly and upon seeing a bottle sitting next to the couch he grabbed it and tested it quickly before putting it gently in the infants’ mouth.

Toby starting drinking automatically and his eyes stopped watering and William sighed. Inside he knew without a doubt that this was his son, but the possibility was overwhelming. If it was his son then that would mean the woman in the shower was Buffy. Everything they had told him two days ago was true and he was with another woman when his soul mate was alive.

He watched as his son’s eyes drooped until the closed and he got up and put him in the bassinet sitting in the room. He had a lot to think about, a part of him just wanted to run into that shower and kiss her senseless but the more rational part was telling him to think about it first. He couldn’t just ruin Dru’s life no matter how much he wanted to. The first step was to let those in this house know he believed them but he needed time to work through things before they got more complicated. If life was simple he could click his fingers and he would have his perfect family back together but no now he had to work through all these problems.

He walked out of the room and saw Buffy standing in a flowery dress drying her wet hair while Willow was sitting in the dining room reading something. He cleared his throat making them both jump and said “The little tyke went to sleep. Right well, I need time to think but I will talk to you soon, Buffy.”

Buffy jumped startled to hear him say her name and said “So you believe me then?” He smiled and walked over to, not curbing the impulse and gave her a gentle brush of the lips with his own and said “Yeah, I believe you, luv.” Then he took a step back and put his hands in his pockets and said “But I need time to think and work through some stuff, so yeah err, I will be back.”

He then turned around leaving Buffy touching her lips where he had kissed her and went out the door.