Chapter 8

Her stomach was becoming more pronounced and Buffy didn’t know what to do. Spike was the only one who knew, no he didn’t know the child was of his blood but he knew she was pregnant. The bump was there for all to see and they were too blind to notice. She found herself staring in a mirror wishfully thinking of things William would say or do at this time of her pregnancy. She could almost hear him whispering to wake up or else she would miss the birth.

She had decided to go and confide in Angel, her big secret. He was the only person she could trust with it and wouldn’t get upset. Sure she was married to someone he hated but in that world it was his brother. She was sure he would help her even if it was just to make her happy. In any dimension he always wanted her to be happy.

So that was why she was sitting in the front seat of Spike’s Desoto staring blankly at the scenery passing by. He had begrudgingly agreed to take her, it hadn’t actually taken a lot to convince her. She knew her William like the back of her hand so she knew how to push this Spike to get her way. Living with someone for 6 months has a way of affecting you.

She knew William couldn’t resist Dawn or her pout so it stood to reason Spike couldn’t either. Sometimes it hurt so much to look at Spike and see William but not to see him, not feel but yet still hear him.

Buffy curled up her legs and said “Tell me about what you were like when you were human Spike?” He looked over and saw her sad face and said “It’s not much of a tale, pet, I was a downright git. Didn’t know how to talk to the ladies, got bitten, unlife got better.” He turned slightly to look at her and noticed she had fallen asleep with a smile on her face.

He shook his head and turned his attention back to the driving.

It took three hours to get to Las Angeles; they arrived at 4 in the morning. As Spike pulled up he looked over to Buffy who was fast asleep and couldn’t but wonder who the lucky guy was. He shook his head and leaned over and gently laid a hand on her shoulder. She murmured in her sleep loud enough for the vampire to hear “Will” He shook her a little harder and she came to slowly and looked around and said “We there”. He nodded silently and got out of the car, closely followed by Buffy.

They walked up the steps with Buffy looking frail and lost. Spike opened the door and said to the room “Hey peaches brought you a surprise.” He wasn’t too shocked to find the room had one occupant which was at the moment was filing her nails and looking bored. Spike rolled his eyes and said “What can’t say hi to an old friend?” Cordelia looked up and rolled her eyes and said “Like you’re an old friend, Angel is in the basement brooding if you want him.”

Spike shrugged and motioned Buffy in the door who came in with her head down. Cordelia’s eyes widened and said “Buffy your alive?” Buffy smiled unsure and said “thought I would come and tell you guys personally that I am alive.” Cordelia nodded and said “How long?” Buffy shrugged and said “Nearly two months, I didn’t really deal very well.” Cordelia looked shocked and was about to say something when Spike gave her a look and she shut her mouth. Spike pushed her ahead toward the basement and made her go down by herself.

She walked slowly and stood at the stairs staring at Angel pounding into a bag. She let herself smile a little and said “Hope that isn’t because of me?” Angel stopped but didn’t turn around and Buffy stepped forward and said “Angel?” He turned and looked at her like she was a ghost but still remained Silent. Buffy looked down and started to turn to go and said “I I’m sorry I shouldn’t have come.”

She was suddenly engulfed by Angel, who she could see was crying. She managed to smile softly and said “Hey miss me?” He managed to say “How”. Buffy looked into his eyes and said “Willow”. He nodded still not letting go of her but then looked at her stomach and touched it and said “How?” She smiled and said “Long story, got time?” He nodded and stood up keeping hold of her hand and took her to a table in the room with some seats around it (As tables usually do). They sat down and he said “Tell me!”