CHAPTER 12

Another two days and I can go home, Darla thought. A prospect she was both dreading and looking forward to.

She called David. “Hey,” she greeted him softly when he answered.

“Hey. How’s work doing?”

“Good. I finished earlier, and I’ll be back Monday night.”

“Great. So…no change of heart?”

She smiled. “Absolutely not. You?”

“Hell no! I’ve been waiting for this long enough. You’re stuck with me, Sweetheart.”

“I certainly hope so. I’ll call Spike and will talk to him as soon as possible, ok?”

“Ok. I’m not sure he will ever talk to me again after that,” he said in a sad voice.

“I know your friendship is important to you. But we don’t know how he will take it. It might not be that bad,” she tried to comfort him, but wasn’t feeling much better herself. She was still wondering about that talk he wanted to have with her, probably to set a date.

Unless…

Unless he wanted to break up with her as well. Considering all that had happened with Buffy lately… Why hadn’t she thought about that in the first place? Of course!

“Don’t worry too much,” she told David. “It might go better than we expect.”

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

After three days of rest – and Spike’s constant and attentive care – Buffy had recovered. She was still sporting a fading green-violet bruise, but didn’t need to put any bandages on it anymore.
On this Sunday morning, she was contemplating the interior of the fridge. “I’m afraid that a little trip to the supermarket will be our first exciting activity today.”

Spike folded the newspaper he was reading. “You’re up to it?”

“Sure. I feel much better.”

With an evil glint in his eyes, he came behind her and pressed his body against hers. “I’m very glad to hear it, Sweetheart,” he whispered, nibbling on the sensitive spot on her neck, eliciting a sigh of pleasure. His hands found their way under her top and he murmured his contentment when he realized that she wasn’t wearing a bra.

Buffy moaned and turned around, seeking his mouth. They hadn’t shared any real intimacy for the past three days, what with Spike wanting Buffy to recover first. They had slept in each other’s arms, but they hadn’t made love. Buffy had appreciated Spike’s concern, of course, but now she was craving his touch. And judging by the hardness she was feeling between them, Spike seemed rather enthusiastic about the idea as well.

They exchanged some heated kisses, before Buffy pushed him slightly away. “Hmm, honey…my butt is starting to freeze,” She said, and Spike noticed that the fridge’s door was still open, and Buffy’s bottom was pressed between the orange juice and the yogurts.

He chuckled. “Ok, let me warm it up for you,” he said, rubbing her butt vigourously, provoking her amusement.

His cell phone rang, interrupting their foreplay.

“Hello? Oh, hi Darla.”

Buffy sobered immediately. Having Spike with her for several days had almost made her forget he was still engaged to another woman.

“…that’s great. I’ll be in Sunnydale until Monday. What about Tuesday nigh? My place, eight o’clock?”

Buffy filled the dishwasher, ignoring the knot in her stomach. Of course they had to talk and he wanted to break up with her…but why at his apartment? Couldn’t they go to the restaurant or something?

“Ok, I’ll see you then. Bye.”

Spike put his phone back on the island. “Darla’s coming back tomorrow. I’ll see her on Tuesday.”

“Yeah, I heard. Don’t forget to break up with her after making her dinner,” she said coldly.

He looked at her incredulously. “Hey, hey, hey! What’s going on here? If I want to end things with Darla, I have to see her, right? There’s no way I will do it over the phone. I feel enough of a jerk as it is. I asked her to marry me, Buffy. And now I’m breaking up with her, for you. Because I love you. What more do you want from me?”

Buffy didn’t need to hear it to regret her words. She had regretted them as soon as she had voiced them. How could she have said something so stupid and selfish? Once again, there was hurt and incomprehension on his face, and she was the cause of it.

The whole situation with Riley on one hand, and Darla on the other, had really gotten on her nerves, but they were not reasons to take it out on Spike. After all, he was the one giving her the strength to go through this.

She mentally kicked herself. She hadn’t realized so far that she really had the power to hurt him. Because he truly loved her. “I’m sorry. Jealousy got the best of me. I didn’t mean it.”

“Yeah, whatever. I’ll go take a shower,” he muttered, leaving the kitchen.

Buffy sighed. Way to ruin a perfect Sunday.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§



Buffy had gotten dressed while he was in the shower, and now she didn’t know what to do with herself. She was flipping through the TV channels when he came down. He got his car keys.

“Didn’t you say something about grocery shopping?” he asked, but his tone was neutral.

She turned the TV off. “Yeah…let’s go.”

Once at the supermarket, she started to fill the cart he was pushing. He was looking everywhere but at her and hadn’t muttered a sound.

At the canned food section, she couldn’t take it anymore. “Spike…”

Still no look in her direction.

“Spike, I’ve been in love with you since I was fourteen.”

That got his attention. He finally turned to her.

“At that time, and during all those years, I thought you could never love me back. So what’s happened between us the last few days…it’s still sinking in. Sometimes I even think it’s a dream and I’ll wake up. And other times, I fully realize what’s going on, and I’m scared. I have doubts, like you. I wonder if we’re doing the right thing. But when we’re together, the doubts vanish. I know this – us- is right. And I’m sorry if I acted like a spoiled brat. The fact that you’re breaking up with Darla to be with me…there’s always that insecure little part of me that has trouble believing it.”

She put her hand on his forearm. “I’m really sorry,” she repeated softly.

He looked at her hand, then took it in his. “You have to trust me on this, Buffy. I know I don’t seem like the most reliable person right now. After all, I asked Darla to marry me and now I’m turning her down. But when I say I love you, I mean it. With all my heart.”

She smiled. “I know. Am I forgiven then?”

As an answer, he pulled her to him and gave her a breathless kiss. She put her arms around his neck and for a moment they forgot everything that wasn’t them.

Until a gasp behind them reminded them where they were. They pulled apart and turned around, just in time to see an old lady with a shocked face disappear into another section.

Buffy put her hand on her mouth, repressing a laugh. “I think it was Mrs Clayton from the drugstore.”

“Well then,” he said, letting go of her and taking back the cart, “let’s finish this before getting caught by the whole bloody town – or even worse, another paparazzi.”

“Good idea. Shall we buy something to make a picnic and spend the afternoon at the beach? I really need to enjoy some fresh air after spending so much time inside.”

“Anything you want, my love.”

She couldn’t resist and grabbed his head for another kiss.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

When they got back home at the end of the afternoon, there was a message on the answering machine. Willow’s voice filled the room.

“Hey Buffy, we’re leaving for the airport, we’ll be back tomorrow in the afternoon. I can’t wait to see you. Bye!”

Buffy smiled. “Oh, that’s right, they’re coming back tomorrow already.”

“And on Tuesday, it’s Rupert and Jenny.”

“Wow. Time for a lot of explanations. Willow and Xander don’t really know about what happened. Willow knows about my feelings, but not the rest.”

Spike let himself fall on the couch. “Explaining to Will and Xander is not really what I’m concerned about. Your dad, on the other hand…”

She sat next to him and put her head on his chest. “Don’t worry. I’m sure he’ll be glad to see us happy. He told you he trusted you, right?”

He kissed her head. “I have to do everything in my power to keep it that way, then.”

She smiled wickedly. “I have a few suggestions.”

She whispered in his ear and Spike grinned. His hand slid under her short dress, pushing aside her swimsuit. She gasped at the feel of his fingers.

“Oh…we’re doing this now, then?”

Spike gave her an innocent look. “If you want me to stop…”

“No!” she said, grasping his arm. “Now is good. Now is…aah…perfect,” she finished with a sigh, moving her legs to give him better access. He laid her on the couch, and his mouth covered hers, the kiss slow and gentle. Then it changed and he was devouring her.

With a sudden urgency, Buffy got rid of his shorts and at the simple touch of her small fingers on him he let a groan escape. She smiled. She loved that power she had over him, the power they had on each other at the merest touch.

“You are so beautiful,” he murmured. He eased the top of her dress off her shoulders, revealing her breasts. Tenderly, he rained kisses on them, using his lips and his tongue to drive her to the edge. Her rising moans were a pretty clear indication that she was not far from it.

“Spike…” she pleaded, bringing his rigid shaft to her entrance. She eased her legs apart and he slid into her with fluidity. He started to move slowly, letting the pleasure build between them. They were kissing tenderly, pouring all their heart into it. When Spike felt that the climax was near, he opened his eyes and cupped her cheek with his hand.

“Buffy,” he panted, and she opened her eyes as well, plunging in his blue depths.

“I love you,” he whispered, and she could see his love clearly in his eyes. She felt her heart swell with love at the same time as she was carried away by a wave of pleasure, followed very quickly by Spike.

They stayed like this for a moment, entangled in their mutual bliss.

“I love you too,” she said, caressing his back and pressing him against her, not wanting to let go. Which wasn’t his intention anyway. He settled comfortably on the couch, nuzzling her neck with satisfied noises.

“You are aware that this was just round one?” he grinned, and she giggled, readying herself for the many pleasures that were to come.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§


On Monday morning, Buffy was still under the effect of her magical night with Spike. They had made love several time, and each time had been more tender and fulfilling than the previous one.

She was feeling totally energized, and for the first time she had a total confidence in the future. Something so beautiful couldn’t simply end badly.

The phone rang, putlling her out of her blissful reverie.

When Spike came downstairs, Buffy was hanging up. “Oh, there you are,” she said. “The call was for you. I thought you were still in the shower.”

He came to her, taking her in his arms and giving her a toe-curling kiss. “Good morning to you too, sweetness,” he said with a teasing smile. “Who called?”

“Some guy named Diego. He said he was Joss’ assistant, that they had had some problem with the voice editing or something like that on the last episode. He wanted to know if you could come as soon as possible.”

Spike frowned. “Diego? Why didn’t he call my cell phone?” he wondered, then noticed said phone was turned off. “Ok, I guess that explains it. I’ll call him back.” He dialed a number and waited a few seconds before hanging up. “No answer. That’s all he said?” he asked Buffy.

She shrugged. “Yep. Apparently it seemed important you came as soon as possible.”

“I guess it is. That episode is supposed to air next week,” he sighed. “I don’t want to leave you alone here.”

She smiled and slipped into his arms. “Oh, come on. It’s broad daylight. Willow and Xander will be back in a few hours. And honestly, I think that Riley got the message.”

“I suppose,” he said, only half-convinced.

“Why don’t you take my car and leave yours here? This way, if Riley happens to be passing by, he’ll think you’re here. What do you say?”

He smiled. “It’s an idea. And maybe…” he hesitated. “Maybe I can try to catch Darla tonight then, instead of waiting for tomorrow. So I can come back here afterwards and…we can talk about us…about the future.”

Buffy nodded, and buried her head in the crook of his neck. He caressed her hair. “Last night was special,” he whispered against her forehead, placing a soft kiss on her scar.

She smiled happily. “So you felt it too?”

“In more ways than one,” he joked lightly, before adding more seriously, “I don’t want to leave you.”

“The faster you go, the faster you’ll be back,” she told him, eyes shining, hand caressing his cheek.

“Good point, love. And I’ll come back as soon as I have talked to Darla. It might be late though.”

“I’ll wait for you.”

He gave her one last passionate kiss before grabbing the car keys and leaving.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§


Twenty minutes after leaving Sunnydale, Spike realized he had forgotten his cellphone. Cursing, he stopped the car at the next gas station. He would have to go back to get it, because he didn’t want to stay away all day without a mean for Buffy to reach him. Just in case.

He went to a public phone to try to call Diego again and tell him he was on his way. This time he got an answer.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Diego. It’s Spike.”

“Hey Spike”.

“Listen, mate, I was on my way to L.A but I forgot my cell phone. I’ll go get it then I’ll be there asap, ok?”

“Sure…Be there for what exactly?”

“What do you mean ‘be there for what’? For that voice editing problem or whatever it is.”

“A voice editing problem?”

Spike clutched the phone when he heard the perplexity in Diego’s voice. His mouth was suddenly very dry. “You called this morning and talked to Buffy about it.”

Diego’s next words froze him in horror. “What? Spike, I’m sorry, but I never called you.”

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§


Buffy walked into the kitchen and noticed that there were more useful things to do than wandering around her house daydreaming with a stupid smile on her face.

She started to put the living room in order, and saw Spike’s cell phone on the table. Hmmm…she mused. Maybe he would realize he had forgotten it and would come back to get it, which meant more delicious smoochies for Buffy.

There was a knock on the front door. Speaking of the devil…

With a smile, she went to open it.