CHAPTER 2

“He what?”

“I swear, Will, the guy was almost choking. And the worst was that he was totally in his right!”

“I can’t believe this. Prince Boring losing control and turning into a villain? That’s the kind of thing that happens in Spike’s TV show.”

“Well at least if he had been possessed by a demon or something that would explain his attitude. But we’re not in a TV show and demons don’t exist.”

“Was it the first time something like that happened?”

Buffy hesitated. “He always had a certain temper…but I never saw him react so violently. Especially about something like that. There was no crash after all. I don’t understand,” she said, shrugging helplessly.

“He wasn’t drunk, right?”

“No, I don’t think so. He barely drinks anyway.”

“Maybe he had a bad day,” Willow offered again.

“He seemed in a good mood when he arrived at the school.”

Willow sighed and got up from the couch where the two girls were slumped and eating ice cream and other stuff that went straight to the hips. “Then I don’t know,” the redhead said, pushing the play button on the CD player. Coldplay’s music filled the room. “But it doesn’t make sense. Here you have Riley Finn, mister Perfect Boyfriend, always nice and sweet…and suddenly turning into some homicidal maniac.”

Buffy laughed. “Ok, maybe ‘homicidal maniac’ is a little bit too strong a word…or two words.”

“You have another one?” Willow asked, raising an eyebrow.

Buffy thought for a minute before her shoulders fell. “No,” she admitted.

“There has to be a reason. Or not. I heard about people behaving normally and then one day, bam! They go ballistic for some stupid reason.”

“Will, if this is your idea of comforting, it’s totally not working.”

“I’m sorry,” she said, with a sheepish smile. “It’s just…you know I was never really fond of him. And I was not joking, there are people who become crazy just like that. I mean, what do you know about him after all?”

“What do you mean?”

“Before he arrived in Sunnydale? What he was doing, where, how…you know, that kind of stuff.”

Buffy smiled slightly.

“I know he’s from Iowa. His dad is a marine so he’s not home often. His mom died when he was young –that’s one of the thing that brought us together- and he lived with his grandparents. He came here last summer, to start a new job as a sports teacher at UC Sunnydale…another thing we have in common. I mean, working in education.”

“I’m sure that’s a fascinating topic to talk about in bed,” Willow said sarcastically.

“We generally don’t talk much in bed,” Buffy said with a pointed look.

Willow made a face. “Yeah, you told me already about Riley’s great performances…I don’t need any more details, thank you.”

“I never gave you any details, you goof.”

“Whatever. But do you know anything about his life in Iowa? Why did he come to California? Don’t they need sports teacher in Iowa?”

“Maybe he has his reasons, like the weather, or…the beaches. I never questioned his motives for coming here. He just told me he had postulate and got the job. End of story.”

“Mmmh…Maybe you could do some research.”

“Willow, come on. It’s not like he could be on the FBI’s top ten most wanted. And I’m not going to investigate him behind his back. It was an incident. I freaked out a little, but it’s probably nothing. I mean, Xander loses his temper sometimes too, right?”

“Yeah well he doesn’t almost choke people to death…”

“Neither does Riley. Uh, except in this case. But I shouldn’t make a big deal out of it.”

Looking backwards, Buffy was thinking that maybe she had given too much importance to what had happened. Everyone had the right to get nervous sometimes…ok, Riley had been downright aggressive, but still…she didn’t see any reason to start watching him as a potential serial killer.

Willow didn’t seem convinced though. “If you say so…Still, be careful.”

“I will. And this week-end, I’ve got my famous stepbrother who will protect me if need be.”

Willow’s face brightened. “Spike is coming? Great! I haven’t seen him in ages!”

“Well how about we all go to the beach on Sunday? He will want to see you and Xander.”

“He’d better. Is he coming with Darla?”

“No.”

Buffy had always shared everything with Willow, except her feelings for Spike. She always had known it would be unrequited, and didn’t see the point of having discussions about it. And also because Willow had always considered Spike like Buffy’s brother (and even like her own brother) and she was afraid the red head wouldn’t understand, or worse, would be grossed out.

Now, she sometimes suspected Willow of knowing…but if she did, she never said anything.

“I’ll be glad to see him. Did he meet Riley already?”

“Just once. They didn’t talk much. When I asked Spike, he said that Riley looked…nice. Argh, there is that word again.”

Willow looked at her, confused, and Buffy sighed. “I think he was just being polite.”

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

“So…anything you can tell me about the last episode?”

Spike cut a small slice of steak and put it in his mouth before looking at Riley.
“Well…the Vampires take over the entire town, the Slayer dies and Hell is unleashed on earth.”

Riley frowned. “Really? That’s kinda…lame, no? And what’s going to happen next season then?”

Spike smirked and Buffy rolled her eyes. “Riley, he’s joking,” she said, glaring at her stepbrother.

The young man made a confused face before smiling. “Oh! Of course. How stupid of me.”

Spike put his knife and fork on his plate. “Sorry mate, I can’t tell you anything. Contracts and all that. The dinner was delicious, Buffy.”

She smiled. “Thank you.”

They had just finished dinner and so far the conversation had gone on rather well. Of course Riley had talked mostly about the show, and Spike had nicely complied and answered most of the questions. Buffy wasn’t exactly bored, but she was looking forward to some alone time with Spike.

What? No, no alone time with Spike! It only leads to dangerous thoughts and well buried feelings that don’t need to be digged up.

“Xander and Willow want to see you,” she said, taking the opportunity of a blank in the conversation to change the subject. “I figured we could all go to the beach tomorrow.”

Spike nodded. “Great idea. I miss them. The last time I spoke to Willow it was to confirm my coming to the wedding.”

“You’re coming with Darla?” Buffy asked casually.

“She can’t. She has a guest appearance in a Canadian TV show and will be in Toronto.”

“How did you meet her?” Riley asked.

“She had a small role on my show during the first season…we hooked up rather quickly, and things went naturally from there.”

“Buffy never told me how you got that role…how it started.”

Spike smiled teasingly at Buffy. “Really? And here I thought you were talking about me all the time.”

“In your dreams, maybe,” she replied in the same tone.

“Anyway, I did the acting school bit for two years, but they kicked me out for some stupid reason I don’t even remember. I did some theater plays, then one day my agent heard about a casting for a new show. I thought it would be funny to play a vampire. I was lucky to get the role.”

“I had heard something about you being discovered while walking your dog.”

“That’s not me. That’s my colleague David. He plays the other vampire.”

Buffy got up and started to clear the table.

“Want some help, pet?” Spike asked.

“No, I’m good.”

Spike turned to Riley. “So, Riley…my turn to ask the questions.”

“Uh-ho…this can wait then,” Buffy said, putting the plates back and sitting down with a worried look on her face. Spike had his game face on. The ‘overprotective big brother’ one.

Riley smiled but shifted uneasily in his chair. “Sure, go ahead.”

“Why come all the way to California to be a sports teacher? Don’t they need sports teachers in Iowa?”

Buffy couldn’t believe this. He was exactly quoting Willow. They must have a telepathic connection.

Riley shrugged. “I just received an interesting offer, that’s all. And California was attractive, what with the nice weather and the beaches…”

Buffy looked at him, surprised. “I thought you had postulate for that job?”

“I…yeah, I mean I did and they offered me the job. That’s what I meant.”

Buffy didn’t insist, but her recent conversation with Willow was resonating in her head.

Spike’s gaze went from Riley’s slightly red face, to Buffy’s frowned one. Something there was obviously not right.

“But I’m really glad I came, or I would never have met Buffy,” Riley said, putting his hand on hers and squeezing it. It took her a little effort to smile back, but a big effort not to pull her hand away. Since the car incident, she had trouble with letting Riley touch her.

Spike looked at their joined hands for a minute.

“I hope you have serious intentions only, Riley,” he finally said.

“Gee, Spike! Did your ass get stuck in the 19th century?” Buffy asked, stunned.

But Riley laughed. “It’s alright, Buffy, I understand. I would probably do the same if I had a sister. And I can assure you my intentions are very serious,” he added towards Spike. “I’ve dated several girls before, but Buffy…she’s really special.”

“That she is,” Spike agreed, suddenly watching her intensely. She blushed under his gaze.

Riley thought it was because of his compliment. “Yes you are, sweetheart. And of course it’s still a little bit early, but I must admit I think about the future sometime, and you’re always a part of it. You know, I even thought about our wedding, and who knows? Possibly children someday…” he finished with a smile.

Buffy froze in her chair. “Woah there, Riley. You never told me anything about this.”

“No, like I said, it’s probably too early. But I look forward to it.”

He looked at her hopefully, and she looked at Spike, who was watching the exchange with great interest.

“I didn’t mean to talk about this now, but since your brother was asking…”

“He’s not my brother,” Buffy snapped without thinking, irritated by Riley constantly using that word while referring to Spike.

She met Spike’s hurt look and immediately regretted her outburst.

The phone rang. “Excuse-me,” she muttered before going in the kitchen to pick it up. She came back a few seconds later. “Spike, it’s Darla.”

The young man got up and left the room.

“What’s going on, Buffy?” Riley asked with a perplex face.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want to snap at you. I must be tired.”

He didn’t buy it, of course. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure. I was just annoyed by Spike’s questions.”

Riley shrugged. “I didn’t mind. He loves you. I suppose he wants the best for you.”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Are you sure this has nothing to do with what happened on Thursday? Because since then I feel you’re a little tense…and kinda avoidy.”

“No, it’s not. I…”

She was interrupted by Spike’s return. “How’s Darla?” she asked, hoping Riley wouldn’t insist anymore.

“She’s fine. She comes back Monday night and asked me to pick her up at the airport.”

He was watching her with an interrogative face, but she simply nodded and avoided his look, taking the plates to put it in the kitchen. Buffy, Queen of Avoidance, she thought ironically.

Riley got up. The atmosphere was a little bit uncomfortable.

“Well, I’ve got to go. I have an early start tomorrow.”

“Not spending the day with us, then?” Spike asked, trying to repress a too cheerful tone.

“Unfortunately. I’m going to San Diego with some friends. It was planned long ago.”

“I see. Have a nice day then.”

“Thanks. You too. It was really nice talking to you. I suppose we’ll see each other often,” Riley said, shaking his hand.

Over my dead body, Spike thought. “You bet,” he said with a fake smile.

Riley gave Buffy a quick kiss. “I’ll call you when I come back tomorrow night, ok?”

“Ok.”

He left, and Buffy finished clearing the table, waiting for Spike to say something. The confrontation should be starting any minute now…