CHAPTER 8


Spike woke up slowly, wrapped around a soft and hot body. He smiled when he remembered who the owner of that body was.

Buffy. His girl.

Well, not yet. Soon, he hoped, after resolving some complicated situations. But he didn’t want to think about that now. Better concentrate on how tasty her skin was, just right there under her ear, and how he liked to see her wake up under his tender ministrations and hear her moan.

The phone rang.

“Just leave it,” Buffy said, her voice muffled by the pillow. But Spike took the phone, and immediately wished he hadn’t.

“William! What the bloody hell is going on?”

All naughty thoughts forgotten, he sat up straight, releasing Buffy rather brutally.

“Hey! What…” she protested vehemently but was cut by Spike’s hand on her mouth.

“Good morning, Rupert,” Spike said, emphasizing the name, and Buffy’s eyes grew wide.

“It’s evening here, and it’s not good at all! How come you and Buffy are on the cover of one of those awful tabloids? And…kissing!”

Spike took a deep breath. “I…Listen, Rupert, I don’t think it’s a good idea to talk about this on the phone. But…you don’t have to worry, alright? Everything is fine now.”

“It doesn’t seem fine to me, young man. What on earth possessed you and Buffy…You are like siblings, for God’s sake! What happened? Everything was normal when I left!”

“Everything is still normal. Buffy and I, we…” He looked at her. She gave him a sweet smile and a nod. “We love each other. In a non-sibling kind of way. Believe me, it was a surprise for us too. It happened very fast, and…I think we should discuss this calmly when you get back.”

He heard Buffy’s father sigh. “William, you know I love you like a son. And I trust you. But last time I checked, you were engaged to another woman. We can talk when I come back, but please, I don’t want one anyone to get hurt. Be very careful. Am I making myself clear?”

“Crystal, Rupert. Don’t worry. I’ll take care of her. You know that.”

“Yes, I know. Nevertheless, you should have called and warned us.”

“We didn’t want to explain it over the phone. We hoped you wouldn’t find out until you got back.”

“Well, we’ll be back in about ten days. In the meantime, try to behave and for the Lord’s sake stay away from paparazzi!” There was a silence before he added,” I’m sorry your mum isn’t around to hear this. It was her dream.”

Spike’s heart jumped in his throat. “What?”

“She had hoped that you and Buffy would someday fall in love and maybe get married. We never said anything because we didn’t want to influence your judgements…She sure has a big smile on her face right now.”

Spike swallowed and struggled against the tears that were threatening to spill.

“Is Buffy around?” Giles asked.

“Yeah, she’s just…I mean, I’ll go see if she’s awake,” he corrected himself in time, waiting a few seconds before handing the phone to Buffy.

“Hey Daddy. I’m so glad to hear from you. Yes, everything is fine, don’t worry.”

Spike half listened to her conversation while lying back on the bed.

“…Ok, we’ll see you in ten days, then. Kiss Jenny for us, will you? Yeah, I love you too. Bye.”

She put the phone back on the nightstand and looked at Spike. “I think it went rather well, right?”

“Sure it did. Considering it almost gave me a bloody heart attack.”

She chuckled. “Well, you handled it perfectly. And he didn’t seem negative, right?”

He picked up on the insecurity in her voice and caressed her cheek. “No, he didn’t, pet. Do you know what he told me?”

“What?”

“He said mum had always wanted for us to fall in love. It was her dream.”

“Really?”

He saw tears welling up in her eyes and took her hand. “Don’t cry, baby, please. I’ll cry too if you start, I swear.”

She hastily wiped her cheek. “Alright. But I’m so happy to hear this. It makes it really worth fighting for.”

He kissed the palm of her hand. “It makes it even more precious,” he said sweetly.

Her eyes caught the alarm clock. “It’s only 10 am. We’ve been sleeping for only five hours. No wonder I feel so beat.”

“So what are you waiting for? Come back here,” he said firmly, reaching out to her. She laid back happily beside him, resting her head on his shoulder, her arm on his chest.

“Do we have anything planned for today?” she asked.

“No. I have to pick up Red and Xander at 4 pm to drive them to the airport in L.A before going home.”

“Can we stay like this until 4, then?”

He smiled and kissed her hair. “Yes, we can.”
She sighed contentedly and closed her eyes. Spike lazily caressed her arm, pondering about the two of them. Last night, their brief moment had been all about passion, and now he was perfectly happy to just hold her and enjoy the quietness. Although, if she kept rubbing her thighs against his like that…

He groaned and she laughed. “You little witch,” he said, finding her mouth and kissing her until she was breathless.

His hand ran from her breast down to her stomach, then lower. She spread her legs to give him better access, and within a few moments his expert fingers had her convulsing beneath him while gasps of intense pleasure were escaping from her throat. Once she had recovered, he took his time, positioning himself above her and slid into her in one fluid motion. He murmured sweet words of love while thrusting lazily in and out of her, loving the way her body responded to his. It was like they had been made exactly for each other.

Buffy held on tightly to him, feeling ecstasy building within her, until it exploded into a myriad of sensations. She felt Spike pause for a second before spasms took over his body.

He stayed inside her for a few more moments, kissing her hungrily. Buffy enjoyed every second, knowing that in a few hours he would have to leave. Waking up in his arms had been like Heaven, especially now that she knew he felt the same way about her.

She would just have to be patient, hoping that someday all her mornings would be like this one.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

“Good Morning. This is your wake-up call. It’s 8.30.”

Darla put the receiver back before getting back under the covers. Immediately, a strong arm came encircled her waist. She smiled.

She shouldn’t be smiling. She should have felt guilty, or bad. But she just couldn’t help but smile.

She had finished the shooting early, the day before, so she had gone back to her hotel situated in the centre of Toronto. She hadn’t felt depressed, just a little bit lonely. She could have called Spike. Only, when she had thought about calling someone, it wasn’t his name that came to mind.

It was David’s.

Since their impromptu meeting a few days ago, they had called each other more often. To talk, like friends. But she wasn’t a fool, and she knew he didn’t see her like a friend at all.

And when she had opened her hotel room’s door yesterday evening and found him standing there, she had understood it was the same for her.

“You came?” she had asked incredulously.

“After hanging up with you I went to the airport. There was a plane for Toronto leaving in the next thirty minutes. I was just lucky.”

She had laughed, tremendously happy to see him there. It had cheered her up to talk to him on the phone, but she had never expected to see him show up at her door a few hours later. That was the most incredibly romantic gesture ever.

He had walked into her hotel room and they had stayed there for a minute, looking at each other, not knowing what to say. The time to pretend they were just friends was definitely over.

“Darla…”

“Yes?”

“Please don’t use me to get revenge on Spike.”

Her eyes had grown wide. “Oh! David, no! Do you think…No, I swear it’s not that.” She had moved closer and put her hand on his cheek. “This…you and me…has nothing to do with Spike.”

Hope had flickered in his eyes. “So I was not dreaming? There is something going on between us? It’s not wishful thinking on my part?”

She had shaken her head. “I just realized it now…when I opened the door…I wouldn’t want to be with anyone else right now.”

“Darla…” He had finally taken her in his arms to kiss her senseless. And what a kiss it had been. Kissing him back fervently, Darla had realized she had been waiting for something like that for a long time. For a man like that…one that would sweep her off her feet, would put millions of butterflies in her stomach. She had chosen security by agreeing to marry Spike, thinking she loved him enough and that the friendship and the lack of passion between them would assure her that she would not get hurt again.

But that was just a boring way to live.

They had made love and then had talked some more. David had confessed he had loved her since the beginning, but hadn’t dared to make a move since she had seemed to prefer Spike. She had explained that she had chosen Spike because she liked him a lot and had thought she had no risk of suffering again. And when she had seen the pictures of Buffy and him, she had realized she wasn’t in love with him.

David was feeling guilty of course, since Spike was one of his best friends. They decided to wait for Darla to come back and talk to him. But even if he was delighted that she loved him as well, his joy was a tad diminished by the probability of losing Spike’s friendship.

Deep inside her, Darla was sure Spike would understand. Now that she was really in love herself, she recognized that look he had in his eyes, the way his voice softened when he talked about Buffy. She wondered if he had realized it himself.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

It didn’t take long for Buffy to feel Spike’s absence. He had been gone for one hour and she was wandering around the house like a lost soul.

She didn’t regret what happened, of course. But it was just more painful now, knowing her love was reciprocated and not being able to be with him. And Spike didn’t want to break up with Darla over the phone – that she understood of course – so they had to wait for her return. And even then, if they started a relationship, Spike would soon have to explain why he was in love with the very same girl he had claimed publicly to not having kissed a few weeks before. And they would have to face the looks of people they knew, people who saw them as siblings.

At least her father seemed alright with it. He was the only person whose opinion she really cared about. As for the rest, well, they would deal. If they were together, she would be ready to face anything.

She found herself standing at the threshold of his room, staring longingly at the bed they had shared just a few hours before. She sighed before rolling her eyes.

“God, Buffy, you are ridiculous. You’ll see him in a few days, everything will be fine. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.”

And with that pep talk, she went back downstairs to prepare something to eat.

She put the TV on, and closed the curtains.

She opened them back, and frowned. Riley was standing in front of her house, nearby the big tree. He didn’t seem to have any intention to show himself. He was just standing there, watching the house.

“What the hell…?”

She opened the front door and went on the porch.

But he had disappeared.

“Riley?” she called. She got no answer. That was impossible. He had been there only one minute ago. She hadn’t dreamt it, she was certain of that.

A chill suddenly ran down her spine, and she retreated back in the house, locking the door behind her.

No need to be scared, she reasoned to herself. It’s just Riley. I’ll go talk to him tomorrow.

But she didn’t dare look out the window for the rest of the night.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

“David! Wait up!”

David stopped and blanched. He had just stepped out of the plane from Toronto. Where he had spent a wonderful time with Darla.

So what where the odds he would meet Spike at the airport just at that
moment ? He cursed under his breath.

Spike reached him, all smile.“Hey mate! What are you doing here?”

“Well, uh…I brought some friends. Who were leaving. By plane. Obviously,” he said, laughing nervously. “And you?”

“Same thing. My friends who got married this week-end, they were leaving for their honeymoon.”

“Oh. Great.”

“Want to grab a bite?” Spike offered.

David shivered at the prospect. “I…uh…no, thanks, I’d rather go home. Some cleaning and stuff.”

“Ok. Are you alright?” Spike frowned, noticing the paleness and obvious embarrassment of his friend.

“I’m fine. Just tired. I had to shoot Dido’s video on Friday and Saturday…I didn’t have much time to rest.”

“Oh, right. You’ll have to tell me about that. I’ll see you tomorrow on the set?”

“No, not tomorrow. No scene for me,” David answered, thanking Joss and The Powers That Be for that small respite. “I’ll be there on Tuesday.”

“Ok. See you then!”

And with a last tap on the shoulder, Spike walked away.

David sighed, relieved. This wasn’t awful like he had expected.

It was worse.
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

“Hi, I’m here to see Riley Finn. Where can I find him?”

The secretary at UC Sunnydale smiled at Buffy and looked at a schedule.

“He has a break right now. You should find him in his office.”

“Thank you.”

Following the woman’s indications, Buffy found the room easily. And she was lucky since Riley was indeed there. To her surprise, he greeted her with a nice smile.

“Hello, Buffy.”

“Riley. Uh…Hi.”

“How are you?”

“I’m fine…I guess. Listen, Riley, I’m sorry about what happened. I certainly didn’t want things to finish like that.”

“Hey, don’t worry. No hard feelings on my part. Those things happened. I must admit I took it rather badly, and I’m sorry about the way I talked to you.”

Astonished, Buffy just looked at him. Who was this guy in front of her exactly? Just a few days ago he had slapped her and called her names, and now he was being all charming? Pretending it was no big deal?

God. Something was definitely wrong with that man. Which reminded her of the purpose of her visit.

“Riley, uh…don’t take this the wrong way, but…did you by any chance pass in front of my house yesterday evening…and maybe stopped for a while?”

He frowned. “Yesterday evening? No. I was home with some friends.”

“Oh…because there was someone standing in front of my house and I could have sworn it was you.”

He looked genuinely surprised. “No, it wasn’t me. I mean, why would I be there in the first place?”

“Yes, of course. I was probably wrong.”

“Well, if you see that guy again, you should maybe call the police. It could be a stalker.”

“Yeah, I’ll do that. I’m glad things are clear between us.”

He smiled. “Me too. Take care of you.”

She left, feeling totally confused. If it wasn’t Riley, then who could it be? Some psycho who had seen her picture in the tabloids and had thought it would be funny to scare her? No. It didn’t make sense.

Besides, she had good eyesight. And she was pretty damn sure she had recognized Riley’s face.

She drove back home, putting some music on. She had a feeling of uneasiness. She remembered Willow’s words of a few days before.

The woman said he was dangerous, Buffy.

What did she mean by dangerous?

Her eyes fell on the drawer where she had put the paper with the phone number.

Only one way to find out.