Chapter 12 It was Always Her

~~ The Bronze ~~

“So… and then, there she was sitting there waiting for me to come in.” Xander continued “I still can’t believe that was her, I mean I was expecting a man in his forties…”


“But when do we see her?” Harmony cut into the brunette’s rant.

“Harm.” William warned.

“What? He keeps on saying this girl this, this girl, that but we haven’t seen any girl yet.”


“She’ll be here don’t worry, Harm.” Xander assured the two blondes, but he himself was having his own doubts, he didn’t want his friends to think he was fantasizing about some imaginary girlfriend. “So… where are Will and Buff?”


~~ Buffy’s Apartment ~~

“Are you sure you don’t want to come? You’ve never missed a Friday night at the Bronze. You sure you don’t want to come with us?” the redhead asked.

“No, Will. I’ll be fine.” Buffy certainly didn’t want to go to the Bronze; William being there would be just way too confusing. She thought that she still needed some more time alone, to think. Seeing him would just make things more complicated. She was still unsure of her true feelings. “You and Oz better go before he is late for his gig.”


“Yeah, baby. Let’s go.” Oz said, as he peeked his head through the door.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” She couldn’t help but wonder what was wrong with Buffy; ever since her and William’s trip to Sunnydale, she had been even more secretive. But she just told herself that she could get the juice on William later. Seeing Buffy nod, Willow said good bye and headed out the door and into the Bronze.

~~ The Bronze ~~

There was silence between the three friends gathered by the stage, until Xander broke through, “So… you guys have any news?”


“Well… William here is going to…” But Harmony was cut off by William’s low growl. “Fine! You tell him.”


Feeling his best friend staring at him with that ‘tell me what she’s taking about’ glance, he finally stated, “Giles, my partner, asked me to go to Chicago to check up on a couple things.”


“So… How long will you be gone?” The brunette asked, but before William could answer he said, “Can you guys excuse me…” as he got up from his seat and proceeded to the entrance of the club. “Hey, thought you would never come…” as he smiled at the brunette and escorted her to their table. “Guys. This is Cordelia, Cordelia this is William and Harmony,” Xander introduced, interrupting the two blondes’ upcoming argument.

“Hi!” the brunette greeted as she gave out a wave. “Call me Cordy.”

“So… this is the ‘boss’ you said you hated oh so much?” Harmony chimed in.

Xander gave her an ‘I hate you’ look. “That was until I found out how nice she really is.” He pulled his girlfriend closer to him. He then continued to tell them about how they met and how much of an irony it was, Cordelia being Xander’s boss then the two of them ending up dating. “Ever since then, we’ve been going out.”


“Oh…” Harmony tried to sound interested, she was getting bored of the couple’s story. “Hey, Willow’s here” she said as she waved Willow and Oz to their table. Usually she was not so glad to see Willow, but she would say anything to get her out from that boring rant.

“Hey, guys. Sorry but I have to run. Need to set-up in the back.” Oz announced as he gave Willow a chaste kiss.

“So…Red, where’s Buffy?” William asked.

“Well… she said she was tired… she needed to take a rest.” Willow answered. “So you guys wanna dance?”


As the group proceeded to the dance floor, William couldn’t make up his mind if he was glad that Buffy didn’t come or if he was upset. He knew they needed to settle things. He had thought that it might be a good time to talk to her but maybe it was not yet time, maybe he was not yet ready.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So… that was a nice night, wasn’t it?” Harmony asked. She and William had just come from the Bronze. “You wanna come in?” After the blonde man’s agreement, the couple sat themselves by the couch. “So… when will you be leaving for Chicago?” Harmony asked as she rested her head in William’s chest.

“I’ll be leaving tomorrow, luv.” William replied as he stared into space and stroked his girlfriend’s hair.

“Hmm… so, how long will you be gone?”


“I dunno, maybe a week…”


“I see…” The couple continued to sit there in silence, watching the television. After a moments pause, Harmony spoke up, “Can you not go?”


“What! We have already talked about this…” The first time William told Harmony about him going to Chicago, she was very vocal in her objections, though she didn’t seem to have any real reasons. He explained to her over and over again that he could not get out of it, he had already tried it with Giles like a million times and the old man would not give in. “…that’s why I have to go,” the bleached blonde finished. Harmony tried to say something, but was cut off, “Unless you have a good reason that would make Rupert change his mind, luv, there is nothing either of us can do. Okay? Do you get it now?”


“I just don’t understand why you have to go!” Harmony insisted.

“Is this really about Chicago, luv? Cause I doubt it is.”

“What do you mean?” the blonde defended. William looked her in the eye and
finally she pulled through. “I’m jealous…”


“Jealous of what?”


Harmony gave out a sigh before she continued, “I’m jealous of how much you give time to your work, on how much time you spend with your friends…”


“That’s all…” William said with a smile, seeing the blonde nod. “Of course I have to work, luv. How the hell am I suppose to live, huh? And time with friends? You mean Xander?”


“Not Xander…”


“Who then…” William had no idea where Harmony was going, he had thought he had the argument wrapped up in a box.

“Buffy.” William gave her a ‘what do you mean’ look. “You know, Buffy Anne Summers, the one whose family lives in Sunnydale?! God! You have been spending a lot of time with her lately. I don’t know what happened between you two when you went to Sunnydale. I’m not psychic, but I’m not blind either. Something happened there. And no matter how much you try to hide it, she’s all you think about, Will.” The bleached blonde tried to explain, but all he got was the wave of a hand as his girlfriend started pacing, “You know, if I didn’t know any better… I’d say you like her…”

~~ Buffy’s room ~~

Buffy was lying at her bed, thinking. Actually not thinking, her head was a total blank. Suddenly the phone rang, “Hello?”


“Hey, Buffy… I didn’t know you would be home. Thought you would be out late at the Bronze. It is Friday right?”


“Yeah, Riley. It’s Friday.” Buffy said as she let out a small laugh. She couldn’t believe how thoughtful Riley was, he remembered her Friday night plans “I didn’t go to the Bronze cause I was feeling a bit tired. Why, do you need something?”


“Nah… I was just wondering if you would like to go out tomorrow night, I got tickets to the ballet.”


Buffy thought for a moment if she should go, she didn’t like the ballet that much, it was boring, for the lack of a better word, but what could it hurt? She needed to get out; Riley was offering… what could be wrong with that? So she agreed, “Yeah, I’d love to go. See ya then!” Buffy replied as she placed down the phone.

~~ Harmony’s Apartment ~~

The argument went on and on and on. William had no idea how to stop and explain to the lady that every thing she was saying was untrue. Every time he tried to explain, it was thrown right back at him. He even thought throughout the debate that maybe the reason he couldn’t defend himself was that what Harmony was saying was true, maybe he did have feelings for Buffy.

“It was always her, Will. It has been Buffy all along. And you know it,” were Harmony’s last words as she went into her room and locked herself in, sobbing. What had she done? She loved this man but she knew he never loved her. It was better this way.

William was caught off guard with the blonde’s last remark, ‘It was always her…’ it troubled his mind all the way to his apartment. It can’t be true… ‘I love Buffy?’ was the last thought that went through his mind before he fell into a deep slumber.

to be continued...