A/N: A lot of people didn't like this chapter very much because of a reference to a movie but what's done is done ;) Thanks ever so much for all the reviews!

Chapter 16 Morning After

The heat of the bright sun was penetrating through the blinds of the agency window. As soon as Buffy entered the building, she was hit be the thousands of things that had to be done. The answering machine was blinking bright red, “10 new messages,” it sounded. Each message she had to listen to was from a client wanting their blind date confirmed. She had never thought that running a business would be this hard. She had been back just a day and a half and already tons of work was staring her in the face. As she patiently listened to every message, she remembered what had happened that morning…

Two blondes woke up to the sound of a cell phone ringing. As they shifted positions, they both realized that they had just spent the night together on Buffy’s living room couch. As William answered his phone, Buffy got up and started to fix herself up the best she could, running her fingers through her hair. She signaled to the busy blonde that she would be upstairs getting cleaned up. Seeing him nod in agreement she went her way. When she reached the bathroom, she looked at herself at the mirror. She was a wreck, her hair was all up in all the wrong places, and her eyes had some morning stars in them. She then thought of the night before as she stepped into the shower, William had cooked her dinner, which she was more than grateful for. She had been tired but didn’t want to be alone so he had said they he would stay with her for a while. She had no idea when it happened but she had slipped into the blonde’s embrace and fallen asleep. Even if it was in the uncomfortable couch, she felt like it was the most relaxing sleep she had for the past few days.

After Buffy had finished showering, she went downstairs to find a cleaned up blonde sitting on her couch watching the morning news. “Hey!” She called as he nodded and patted the seat next to him, indicating she take a sit. “What you watching?”

“The news, luv. Need to be updated.” William replied as he intently listened to the reporter not taking his eyes of the TV.

“Oh, come’ on you own a publishing company! You know the news, you print it everyday.”

“I may be the owner, pet, but I’m not the editor…” He replied knowingly.

“Well…” Buffy stuttered as she ran out of retorts, “I don’t think the news is that interesting, reading the paper is way too boring.”

“I noticed.” William answered. Buffy gave him a questioning look. “I checked the door… no paper.” They sat there in silence as they, even Buffy, continued to watch the news until it ended. “You hungry?”

“Why? You gonna cook?” Buffy asked as she clicked the remote control off.

“Nah… too tired. Maybe we can go to the International House of Pancakes and have some breakfast, what do you say?”

“I’d say, it sounds like an absolutely delicious idea!” Buffy replied as she licked her lip.

~~ back at the agency ~~

“Ring, ring.” The phone rang, which pulled the blonde out of her thoughts. “Hello?” she answered. “Yes, Mr. Gibson. It has been confirmed. Okay, Thanks, have a nice day!” The thoughts of the morning she had had, again rushed through her mind as silence drifted across the room. She and William had eaten breakfast, both having waffles. She found out that William had a sweet tooth; the amount of syrup he placed on his waffles could give anybody diabetes. After having that filling breakfast, both were still not ready to go to work, although it was already nine in the morning. Neither of them was sure of their reasons, yet they both had a feeling that they missed the times they spent together before and wanted to cherish it, make it last.

They took a walk at the park, sitting on a nearby bench and watching the children play with no cares in the world. Each of them was reveling in the memories provoked by the scene in front of them. Seeing the children play, Buffy really missed being a kid and not caring about anything, the only thing she had to worry about before was homework. But now there was rent, loans, bills, bills and more bills. It not that she didn’t enjoy being independent, but she missed having her mother there with her and helping her, or for that matter anyone that would be there for her, waiting for her when she came home. She wanted someone to talk to her about her day comforting her from the stress of work.

~~ William’s office ~~

William had just barely finished the reports Rupert wanted him to make about his recent visit to Chicago. Just as he thought, the moment that he walked into the office, his partner was waiting for him by his chair ready to give orders. Good thing that he was able to finish all the paperwork because he certainly needed a break. As he finished packing his things, ready to go home for the day, memories of that early morning penetrated his mind…

He had woken up in Buffy’s apartment on her couch with the petite blonde enveloped in his arms. He had shifted slightly to a more comfortable position as he stared at her, fast asleep. Her golden hair was safely tucked away on one side; her breathing low, the small purrs she would give out… she was just… beautiful. “Ring, ring” Damn phone William thought as he frantically searched for the device in fear that it would wake up the blonde in front of him. By the time he had finally found it, Buffy had already woken up. As he answered the phone, he found out that it was again his demanding partner once again, wanting him to get into the office as soon as possible.

After the long and tiring conversation William had with Rupert, he went into the downstairs bathroom and tried to fix himself up as best he could. He then started to make some coffee and looked for the morning paper, which he couldn’t find. Settling for the morning TV news instead, he sat at the couch and watched. After a couple of minutes, Buffy emerged from the stairwell and he invited her to join him for some breakfast. From there they went to the park, partly because he was still not ready to go to work and wanted to have a little fun. And mostly because he wanted to make the most of the time he and the blonde spent together. He missed the way they were before, before that awkward night. He missed how they used to talk everyday and told each other about the day they had. He just wanted this moment to last.

As he started the engine of his car, he remembered that today was Friday, Bronzing night. How he wished Buffy would show up. Even though they had only seen each other that morning, he couldn’t help but miss her already.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

William was siting at their usual table at the Bronze with Xander, Cordelia, Willow and Oz, who had just taken a break form his last set. Oh, how he hated being the fifth wheel among the crowd. He wondered where Buffy was. The redhead had told him that Buffy was probably a little late because she had to close the agency for the night. As the foursome got up to dance, they invited him, but he declined. As he watched them move to the fast beat of the song, he wished Buffy was there.

As if on response to his silent wish, “Hey, sorry I was late, had to close the office,” Buffy said as she sat at the chair across William. “Why aren’t you dancing with them?” she asked.

“Nah! I don’t want to be the fifth wheel among happy the couples.” William replied as he drank a gulp of beer.

“What do you say we dance!” Buffy said enthusiastically. Since that afternoon she had been anticipating going to the Bronze to have a night out. Truth of the matter was, she had missed the other blonde already.

“I don’t know… the song’s about to end.”


“So, we’ll catch the next one. Come on.” Buffy dragged him to the dance floor.

After a couple of minutes, the song ended. Xander and Cordy were tired, and Oz had to do his next set. So the threesome sat back down at the table leaving the blonde couple on the dance floor. The next song that Dingoes Ate My Baby played was sweet and mellow. Hearing it, Buffy wanted to tell William that they should sit this one out, even if deep down she didn’t want to. But when he started to pull her close by the waist, Buffy couldn’t even give it a second thought. She then placed her arms around his neck and laid her head on his chest as they swayed with the music.

“Aren’t they cute.” Cordy commented, interrupting Willow and Xander’s discussion about the importance of coffee in the morning.

The redhead and brunette turned their attention to the couple. Willow thought they really did look cute together. As for Xander, he agreed with both the ladies. He always assumed his best friend had a little something for the blonde, good thing he was finally acting on it.

Back at the dance floor, Buffy had raised her head from the blonde’s chest and looked at him in the eye. For a moment they just stared at each other like that, not saying a word. As the song came to an end, William asked Buffy if she wanted to go somewhere else. He wanted to show her his favorite spot by the beach.

Buffy, hearing the blonde’s question, was glad that they were finally comfortable with each other. She had missed the times they had spent together. “Yeah, I guess.” she said wanting to sound unsure yet failing at it. “But we’d better tell the other’s first.”

“Okay, you tell them, luv. I’ll wait for you by the car. Say goodbye for me.” He called as he proceeded to the parking lot. He had actually planned for this night, good thing Buffy agreed to go. “So… you ready?” he asked when he saw her come out of the Bronze. Seeing her nod he said, “Get in the car then, we have a long way to go…”

William and Buffy arrived at the beach near midnight. Their time in the car was just like before, not uncomfortable yet not too comfortable. They were able to catch up on each other’s lives. They both couldn’t believe how in only a couple of weeks, so many things could have happened. This time around, William made sure to park his car at the other end of the beach. As they both started to get out of the vehicle, William opened the trunk up to grab a duffel bag.

“Where to?” Buffy asked.

“Just a little bit over there, luv.” William replied as he led the blonde hand in hand. When they reached their destination, he started to set up a couple things as Buffy stared into the sky in amazement.

The place they were at now was beautiful, even if Buffy had no idea where they were. The ground they were standing on, overlooked the ocean. The darkness of the night made the water look as if it were part of the sky with sprinkles of diamonds scattered in it. It was the night of the new moon so all you could see were stars, sparkling against the darkness of the night. “Wow! William, this place is gorgeous.” Buffy breathed. “Where did you find a place like this?” she asked as she turned her back to look at him. “What are you doing?” she asked again, seeing William set up some kind of telescope and laying down a blanket.

“Huh? Nothing. Come here…” as he directed her beside him by the telescope. He then looked at his watch, as if waiting for the right time. “Okay, look.”

Buffy did as she was told. When she looked into the device she saw a wave of bright light - a comet passing slowly within her view. The comet had a light so bright and sparkling; it was almost purely white with little sparks of blue, glittering against the night. “Wow!” she said in amazement, she had never seen a comet before. “That was… what was that?”

William could not help but give out a little smirk against the blonde’s reaction, “Was it nice, luv?” Seeing the blonde nod eagerly. “We’ll its Haley’s comet, it sort of only comes every other century or something.” He answered with a smile.

“Never told me you were into astrology and stuff!” Buffy said as she sat beside William by the blanket and laid her head on his shoulders and stared back into the sky.

“We’ll, I’m not really that into it, but I guess I know a thing or two.” After a couple of moments of just sitting there and staring into the skies, Buffy started to rise.

“What are we doing here? Did you just want me to see that? Not that I didn’t like it but…” Buffy stopped as soon as she realized she was babbling, something she did when she was nervous.

William noticed her uneasiness, “ We’ll I thought maybe we could stay here a bit longer is all, maybe watch the sunrise?”

Buffy looked at him suspiciously, “So… you planned this…”

“Yeah…you could say that…” the blonde answered as he started to get a couple of things out of the duffel bag. “I bought coffee!” he exclaimed as he raised a thermos, “and we have a blanket here, so…” he stated as he cocked his scarred brow at her and patted the seat beside him on the blanket.

“Are you trying to seduce me, Spike?” She asked teasingly.

“Why? Are you seducible?” William asked. Hearing no response, “I’ll take that as a yes.” He stated, a huge grin plastered in his face. Buffy looked at him wide-eyed, a question written all over her face, eyebrow raised. “Okay… I guessed that, so…” William got up and grabbed something from the bag, “Here’s another blanket.” He said as he laid it beside his.

“Good!” Buffy firmly stated, as she sat herself down by the blankets beside William and cuddled with him.

William held her tight, stroking her golden streaks. Oh how he loved the feeling of just holding someone, someone named Buffy. Just wrapping his arms around her and feeling so comfortable, so relaxed, so… content. He knew that deep down he was still not ready to start a relationship with anyone and neither was she. He didn’t want to push, they just started to feel comfortable with each other again and he certainly wanted to cherish every second they got to spend time together. Looking into the night, he remembered how nice it was just being able to sit there like time meant nothing, like everything could just go by and he could care less. Breathing in deeply, he looked at the gorgeous being lying on top of him. She was fast asleep, probably was exhausted from the day she had. As he looked at her, the same thoughts came to mind as those he had that morning, she was a beauty, and he certainly knew the one thing he wanted for Christmas this year, her. He wanted to wake up with her beside him, starting the day with her beautiful smile and coming home at night to her warm embrace. He knew right then and there that… she was the one.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Familiar shades of blue and orange filled the dark atmosphere of the night, as step by step the day was beginning to rise. Fluttering her eyes against the slight rays of the sun, she looked up slightly to the sleek form she laid upon. His face was so peaceful; it seemed innocent as she looked at him now. His complexion was bronzed, his body full of muscles yet soft to her touch. Underneath those long lashes were eyes so blue that they dared to be compared to the ocean. As she set her head back down on his chest, she looked at the sky as signs of day began to show. The colors expressed by the atmosphere were so relaxing, so comforting, just like the way she felt now.

Feeling like sleep was no longer an option, Buffy started to get up and looked inside the duffel bag for any sign of food, and she found none. Remembering that she has left her purse in William’s car, which held a pack of uneaten crackers. She searched the sleeping blonde’s pockets for the keys, careful not to wake him up. As soon as she found them, she tried to remember which way they came from as she proceeded to his car.

Restless and tired, William rubbed his eyes still half-asleep. His hand automatically reached out to feel a certain girl lying beside him. Finding none, he immediately opened his eyes, afraid about her whereabouts. As he sat up, he saw the sun almost rising; the dark color of the sky that he remembered was now gone. Instead it was replaced with the soothing shades of pink, orange and yellow. The sunrise was indeed beautiful, it had been a long time since he had seen one. But now was not the time to stare out at it, he had a missing blonde to find. Getting on his feet, he heard the faint sounds of a whistle, somebody was whistling a jaunty tune. As time passed the sound got louder and louder, a familiar voice cursed at a tree root. He knew whose voice it was. As he heard her nearing, he grabbed a single flower from the bushes, without waiting to see what what kind it was.

“Hey, you’re up!” Buffy called as soon as she saw the blonde’s firm form.

“Yeah, it’s me… up and about. Where have you been?” William asked, as he turned his back to face her.

They were now eye to eye, blue met green as Buffy tried to give a response, “Well, I was feeling a bit…” she was cut short as she looked over the blonde’s shoulder to find the most beautiful thing she ever seen. Shades of pink and orange filled the sky as the sun peeked his head out of the ocean. “Wow…” Buffy said, amazed at what she saw, “Isn’t it beautiful…?”

Buffy looked over his shoulder, amazement evident in her eyes, he knew what she was looking at, but he didn’t look back.

His eyes locked with hers, as he answered her question. “Yes it is.” Buffy blushed, seeing him looking into to her as he placed the flower he picked up behind her ear and brushed a stray stand of hair. “Yes it is.”

to be continued...