Chapter 17 Sunnydale…Brings Back Memories

1 month, 4 weeks, 30 days, 720 hours, 43,200 minutes had passed since their opposed date. Each trying to get over their broken relationships and heartaches, they seem to come to each other for comfort or just plain simple companionship with a friend. Each day bringing them closer and closer, each moment they have together treasured. At first they started hanging out with the gang, usually with Xander and Cordy. The men would take the ladies to the mall, Buffy and Cordelia would talk endlessly about clothes and shopping while the guys would just give their occasional nods of confirmation. But as time past, both parties, even the ladies started to get tired of the mall and both brunettes were becoming more and more busy with their project. Soon the blondes found themselves spending more time together, just the two of them. Even during weekdays, William would sometimes just drop by at Buffy’s house to hung-out, watch a movie or just talk. They both can’t deny that they enjoyed each others company, both their best friends have work and school and both also have significant others that they needed to spend time with. So them hanging-out and enjoying each other’s company isn’t quite bad.

Soon enough, William got tired of them just hanging-out, being best friends like they felt nothing for each other. They knew there was something between them and he for one did not want to hide it anymore. Only at that same time he did not know that Buffy was feeling the same way. ‘Screw it if he thinks I’m still not ready.’ The blonde thought, she had hid her feelings for William long enough, now that they are both free and single, she does not see anything wrong with the two of them trying out if this whole couple thing was for them. Though both having doubts that their friendship was going to be affected by whatever happened to their confessions, it’s not going to stop them now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cool wind was beaming down against her face, the harsh light of the sun shining upon her. Buffy looked at the scenery they passed by, ‘familiar’, she thought, she was on her way back to Sunnydale, with a certain blonde driving them to their destination. She then thought back to exactly how she fell into this situation…

It had been an ordinary Wednesday afternoon for Buffy, she had been at the agency the most part of the day, cleaning, tidying and trying to finish checking out all the videos that had just gotten in for the week. Her and Willow’s business was actually doing very well than they would have expected, it had blossomed over the months that had past. So now she was stuck here reviewing videotapes and such. “Hey, Willow!” Buffy greeted as the redhead entered through the door. “Was that just Oz who just dropped you off?” the blonde asked, seeing an old navy blue van drive away.

Willow gave out a sigh of relief as soon as she entered the agency door; it was finally the last day of finals. She had been racking her brain the whole week trying you memorize different formulas and such, it was an exhausting week. “Hey Buffy!” she greeted back, “Yeah that was him said he needed to go to practice.” The redhead replied hiding a certain tone of disappointment in her voice, which of course Buffy caught up to.

“What’s wrong, Will?” Buffy told her friend in a soft tone as she came to the front part of the counter and ushered her friend to sit beside by the bench. “Did you and Oz have a fight?”

“Nah… It’s not that. It’s just… that… well.” Willow tried to explain but somehow had come to a loss of words. Feeling Buffy’s support she continued, “Well… you know how I have been busy for finals and all right?” seeing the blonde nod, “See… me and Oz have not spend much time together, I think he and I are sort of breaking apart Buffy. And I actually hoped that we could do something special tonight, maybe celebrate before summer vacation… I forgot he had to practice today.”

Buffy placed her arms around the redhead’s shoulder, trying her best to comfort her and make her feel like everything will just be okay, “The summer is coming Will, no studies! Means more Oz filled time!” Buffy said enthusiastically hoping to brighten up her mood.

Willow gave in and a little giggle could be heard, trying to go into a much lighter mood of topic, she asked “So… How’s it going with you and Spike?” She refused to call him by his other nickname Will, which Buffy insist on using. Because for her it just causes unneeded confusion, she felt like she was talking about herself.

Buffy hesitated, she had no idea what to tell Willow, and sure they had gone out on a couple of group dates and some with just the both of them, actually quite a lot. But she had absolutely no single clue where all of this unnecessary flirting was heading. She liked him, that she cannot deny. The time they had spent together all month for her was more than just two friends hanging out together. Suddenly the phone rang; glad that she did not have to answer the mind-bugging question Willow had for her she immediately picked up the phone. “Hello… Oh hi mom!”

“What are you thinking about, luv?” William asked, his voice sounding obviously concerned.

“What?” Buffy suddenly came out of her slight reverie. “What was that?”

“I asked what were you thinking about, pet. Is there something that’s bothering you?”

“Nothing… Well, I was just wondering why mom sounded ‘panicky’ when she talked to me on the phone. It sounded like an emergency.” Buffy explained.

“Don’t get all ‘panicky’, pet.” William complied as he let his stray hand wander within hers and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’m sure everything is all right.”

Buffy felt his soothing touch ‘here goes the flirting again’ she thought. A part of her like these gestures he showed towards her, but a part of her was terribly getting confused, who wouldn’t be. First he says he thinks he’s falling in love with her, then he pulls away because it is too soon. Then they go out and there goes the unnecessary flirting and bad roaming of hands. She had no idea where they stand, she does not know where their relationship is heading but she does know one thing, she knows what she wants. Mindlessly forgetting about the way her mind was drifting off to, she returned his gesture and entwined her fingers with his, seeking comfort. “I hope you’re right…I hope you’re right.” Buffy said as silence fell on them. Again, she watched the said familiar scenes flash before her as they drove and neared their destination.

After about an hour of total silence, except maybe for the yawns, sighs and the music coming from the car radio, Buffy and Spike finally drove into 1630 Revello Drive. William turned off the engine and started to get out of the car, when he noticed a certain blonde not in motion. She was just staring into the front door of the house, no words said. “Hey, we going in or what?” he asked, slightly concerned of Buffy’s actions.

“I don’t know if I should.” She replied in a steady tone. “What if…”

But before she could get another word in, “What if, what?” he butted in head cocked to the side. “I’m sure it’s nothing, you’re worrying yourself over nothing.” The blonde tried to reason but was not able to get in word. “Operative word if, luv. Why don’t we just go in and find out what’s up. Or we could just stay here outside and you’ll never find out.”

Buffy finally realized she was defeated, and thought that William did have a point, she will never know if she never went in and she know that the curiosity will definitely kill her sooner or later. So she settled for knocking at the door with three light knocks. Then it opened up to reveal a very enthusiastic Joyce at the other end. “Hey mom!” Buffy greeted, fake smile plastered, she knew that these overly enthusiastic greetings could never lead to any good.

“Oh, it’s so nice to see you again Buffy! We missed you so much!” Joyce greeted back as she gave her eldest daughter a bear-like hug. Noticing a certain bleached blonde on the side, “William right? So nice to see you again!” as she gave the blonde a light tap at the back.

“It’s nice to see you to, Mrs. Summers.” William greeted with outmost charm.

“Oh, please. Call me Joyce. Why don’t we go into the living room, could I get you anything?” she asked as their visitors sited themselves side by side on top of the couch.

“Look mom.” Buffy started, she was getting tired of all these courtesy stuff her mom was doing, she wanted to know what was wrong, she needed to know. “You called and told me to come here as soon as possible, so what’s the matter then?” she continued, trying to be as calm as she can be.

“Well… It’s about Dawn…”

But before her mother could finish, Buffy started to babble, “What about Dawn? Is she hurt? Is she at the hospital? Will she be okay?” Buffy babbled until she almost ran out of breath and heard loud thumps coming from the stairway.

“Hey!” Dawn called as she skipped down the stairs happily, taking the steps two at a time. “Buffy! I’m so glad you came.” Dawn said as she jumped into Buffy’s lap and gave her a hug that could have had her already lack of breath worse. “I thought you couldn’t come.” As Dawn sited herself beside Buffy as she calmed herself down from all the excitement. “Oh, hi Spike!”

William just smiled back at the little version of Buffy and lay back down on the couch.

But Buffy was not that calm, her mind was racing, more than ever. What had just happen, what was happening for that matter? What was the call about? What was so important that she needed to come by so urgently? Finally realizing that asking herself all these questions won’t really get her any answers, “What the hell is going on!” Buffy asked, question written all over her face. These made everybody else in the room shocked on how the blonde had reacted, silence fell on them, as she again asked, “Isn’t anybody doing to answer me?”

Joyce was the first to recover, “Well, honey. This weekend is the finals for Dawn’s art contest, so I thought I would invite you to come and see…”

Before Joyce could finish, “If I win, I’ll get a full scholarship! Isn’t that great Buffy!” Dawn butted into the conversation.

“But… I thought…” ‘Great! I worried myself for nothing!’

“So, would you two like anything to drink, Spike?” Joyce asked their two guests.

“Anything would be great!” William replied. Buffy did not speak she was still stammering about her misunderstanding.

“Come on Dawn, help me in the kitchen.” Joyce asked her younger daughter as they both vanished into the kitchen.

Silence befell upon the two blondes; Buffy was still shocked if not embarrassed from what she had done. She had forced William to bring her over here to Sunnydale as soon as possible. Knowing that he could never refuse her pouted lips, he agreed. She then panicked and left everything to Willow including the agency. Only to find out that it was all in her imagination. After a couple of minutes, Buffy noticed a pair of blue eyes staring right at her as if holding out a fit of giggles. “What?” She asked. But the beholder of these eyes just kept staring at her, boyish grin evident in his face. “Oh… Don’t say it…” she knew it was coming.

“Don’t say what, luv?” William asked, smile still intact.

“Don’t say ‘I told you so’…” Buffy replied as she held her hands over her ears, ready to sound out the phrase that was about to come. All the way over, William kept telling her not to worry, that it was probably nothing, even Willow told her that when she was frantically packing her clothes, thinking of the worst.

“It’s not my style.”

“Oh! Well… I’m sorry had to drag you all the way here. You know… you can leave if you want to, I’m sure there’s a lot of thing you would rather do.”


But before any one of them could get another word in, Dawn came in carrying four glasses of milk. “So, you’ll be staying until the weekend right Buff?” Dawn asked as she handed her sister the glass of milk.

Buffy retrieved the glass with a smile; “Of course I’ll stay Dawnie.”

Dawn shivered at the use of her childhood nickname, only Buffy would embarrass her in front of their visitor. “Great! You staying too, right Spike?” as she handed him too a glass of milk.

“Umm… Dawn I don’t think…” Buffy tried to answer.

But she was meet by the piercing blue eyes of William, “Of, course I’ll be staying. Supporting you all the way!” He answered as he returned his gaze back to the younger blonde.

“Super!” was her only respond as she plopped down right in the middle of Buffy and William.

Buffy gave William a suspicious glare, but he just looked at her with innocence in his eyes.

“I got cookies. So… What did I miss?” Joyce said as she emerged from the kitchen, cookies in hand.

“Buffy and Spike are staying!” her younger daughter said with enthusiasm in her voice.

“Great! That’s great. Now dig in.”

Dawn gave out a satisfied moan as she chewed the fleshly baked goodie, “I’m sure you missed this didn’t you Buffy?”

“I’m sure she did, always a favorite, milk and cookies.” Joyce said, pertaining to her eldest daughter.

“Milk and cookies ey?!” William looked at Buffy, one eyebrow raised.

Buffy just blushed under his gaze. ‘It’s going to be a great week!’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy was sitting at the back porch, just looking out into the setting sun. She can’t believe how much she missed Sunnydale. She had only been here not so long ago and she felt like she had been gone for years. She had missed the spooky small town rumors, the way people just suddenly disappear out of nowhere, and she even missed the neighborhood fights here and there. This is where she grew up, the place she knew as home and she had missed it so much. She suddenly heard the back door creak open, obviously someone came out and was standing right behind her but she did not look back, instead kept staring into the sky.

“Dinners almost ready, luv.” He told her as he stood there just behind her, she wasn’t moving. Not even one bit. She was in deep thought he concluded. “You’re mum says we should get in, don’t want dinner to get cold now do we?” he asked, but he still heard no reply.

He just kept standing there, waiting for her to answer him. After a couple of minutes of silence, “Have you ever missed something you thought you always never wanted.” Buffy asked, still staring straight out.

“Umm…” William did not know what to say he was not even sure if he understood what she had meant.

“I mean… after high school I was so excited to get out of Sunnydale. I was sick of it, I wanted to explore more things, see the world… but now… I feel like I don’t wanna leave, I wanna stay here. I feel safe here.”

William shut the door behind him and sat down beside her, “I’m not really sure what you mean, pet… but I guess I do understand it, one way or another.” Again silence befell upon them. He had no idea what to do, so he decided to do what he thought would make her say something, he talked. “Is that the best sight in Sunnydale, luv? You neighbor’s backyard?” he said with a laugh.

She in turn gave out a small laugh. Again silence. “You didn’t have to…”

“Didn’t have to what?” William asked, head tilted, eyebrow raised.

“You didn’t have to stay.” For the first time since they talked she turned to face him.

William put his head down, ‘why did I stay?’ he asked himself. “I kind of couldn’t get out of it, looked like the bit wanted me to stay.” He lied, ‘smooth move’ a voice said in his head.

“Yeah, you two seem to get a long so well. She was never much for the crowd, I hardly see her hang-out with any of her friends.” She took a deep breath, “But I guess with you… she seems at ease. Why is that?”

“I don’t know.” William replied with a smile as he shook his head, “I don’t know. We better get in, luv, dinner’s gonna get cold.”

Buffy just nodded her head but made no effort to move, “Why did you stay?” she asked again unconvinced of the first answer she got.

William looked back at her, he held her hand in his, “Because… I wanted to.” He said firmly, no doubt whatsoever could be heard in his voice.
It
Buffy so wanted to kiss him right at that moment, ‘he wants to be with me’ at least that what she understood from what he had told her. At last she knew that he somehow felt the same about her as she did to him. She felt her lower lips vibrate as he leaned in close to her, obvious that he wanted the same thing she did. Their lips were mere an inch apart she grabbed a hold of his back and kissed him passionately. It felt like as if it was the first time their lips have meet. Their tongues battled for dominance, though they knew neither would win. As if an eternity had passed they finally pulled apart, both out of breath.

As if on signal, the back door flew open, “Buffy! Spike! Mom says dinner’s ready.” Dawn called out.

Breathing hard, “I guess we better get inside, luv.” William reached out a hand to help her up.

Buffy merely nodded, she was still out of breath from the kiss and thought that she might never be able to speak again. So she just took his hand and went inside, hoping that her mother does not notice her still swollen lips.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After a wondrous dinner, Buffy’s stomach was completely full. It had been a while since she had eaten a home cook meal thus the full stomach. During dinner her mom had insisted that William stay with them, she said that he should at least consider staying in the couch for the night then they can talk about him ‘maybe’ getting into a hotel tomorrow morning. Buffy didn’t know if she was glad that William would be staying with them for the night, because after her moms offer William insisted that he at least do the dishes for her. Her mom of course could not refuse because he did not give her a chance to say anything before starting for the kitchen WITH HER. She had no idea why he dragged her with him when he was the one who offered to do the chore, not her.

So now as he was washing the dishes while she gets to do the job of placing them in the dishwasher. She was mumbling all her irritation towards him. “I hate you! I didn’t offer to do this. But nooo you had to drag me in…”

“Are you saying something, luv.” He asked.

She just smiled at him and continued her placing, how did she get herself stuck in these kinds of situations. Suddenly just as she heard the running water run dry, she felt a hand on her shoulder, “That’s should be enough, it’s getting late you should get to sleep. I’ll finish up.” She heard him tell her. Feeling his hand on her shoulder made tingles run up her spine. At first she was out of words but recovered, “Oh, that’s so nice of you.” She replied sarcastically as she turned around to face him.

William had gloves on his hands, ‘I’m such a poof!’ he scolded himself. After dinner, Joyce had insisted that he stay here in their home for the night at least before he goes out and find himself a hotel. He couldn’t refuse of course but he didn’t know what made him do this but he hated that part of him right now. He was currently stuck inside the Summer’s kitchen WASHING dishes. As he looked over at his companion he saw that she doesn’t seem entertained at what they were doing but god does she look cute when she’s being forced to do something. Just as he was finished, he felt guilty and decided that he get to finish up the rest since he was the one that volunteered not her. “That’s should be enough, it’s getting late you should get to sleep. I’ll finish up.” But she had answered him obviously irritated; he did expect this so he had his comeback ready. “Ey!” hands in the air, “If you hated it so much why didn’t you just leave. I never told you to help me out.”

Buffy can’t believe what he had said, “But you dragged me in here.” She replied voice raising.

“Yeah.” He looked up to see of they had disturbed some of the resting residence in the house. “But I never told you stay, you just assumed.” He said with a smile on his face.

“But…” that was all Buffy could get in. He was right he never told her to stay he just pulled her into the kitchen to help him carry the dishes and she had stayed assuming that he wanted her help. He never told her to place the clean plates in he dishwasher, again she had assumed.

William raised one brow at her, “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you wanted to stay here with me, ain’t that right, pet.”

Buffy was appalled, not because of his cockiness but because he had known the truth. She knew that maybe a part of her did want staying there with him. Giving him slide glances as he continued washing. So she just kept silent and walked off.

“I’ll take that as a yes then?” William followed her into the closet.

“Think whatever you want.” Buffy grabbed a couple of bed sheets from the shelves. William just kept silent and followed her into the living room as she got the couch ready for him. “Okay, that should be alright.” She said as she smoothed the linen, “If you need anything, just holler. I’m sure someone’s going to have your neck for disturbing them.” She smiled at him and started to retreat.

“Thanks!” Buffy just waved him off. “Umm… Buffy?”

She then stopped at her tracks and turned back towards him, ‘What could he possibly want now?’ “Yeah?”

“Are you going to bed already? 'Cause I was thinking maybe I’d watch something on the telly…” He plopped down on the couch and made himself comfortable.

Buffy gave out an air of laughter, “You can watch TV, Will. I’m sure my mom wouldn’t mind.” She told him and handed the remote.

He took it and turned it on but looked back at her, “I was thinking maybe we can watch something together…” Buffy blinked her eye slowly, ready to say no, “Come on,” he encouraged. “I know you want to…” his trademark grin in his handsome face.

Buffy couldn’t resist and sat herself down beside him, “So… what’s good?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Watching reruns of old game shows, somehow somewhere in time they were able to sprawl down on the couch, William’s arm around Buffy’s waist as she snuggled into his chest. “Michigan!” he half shouted into the TV

“‘Buzz’ Sorry the correct answer was Michigan.” The host said from the television. “Stay tuned, we’ll be back after this commercial break.”

Buffy moved around so that she was facing William, “How’d you know the answer to that?”

“What can I say, luv, a couple of years in Yale did me a lot of good.” He answered as he cocked his head to one side.

“Yale? Come on… I don’t believe you.” Buffy looked at him from the corner of her eye.

“I have the diploma to prove it!”

“Whatever!” Buffy rose from her former position and sat by William’s foot

William wanted to complain from the lost of touch. At last since a very long time he and Buffy were finally comfortable enough to each other that they were able to show little bits of affection. At first he feared that the kiss they had on the back porch would make her pull away from him, but instead she seemed to be more relaxed and at ease.

“I better head up.” Buffy said, fighting a yawn. “It’s getting late. I’m sure Dawn will have me do some favor for her so might as well get some sleep.” Another yawn fought its way and escaped her mouth.

William couldn’t help but smile at the way his Buffy yawned. It was in the sweetest possible way, like she was a three-year-old wanting her mother to tuck her into bed. Wait did he just say ‘his’ Buffy. “That you should do, I might as well get some shut eye myself.” In irony instead of laying down completely, he rose and sat beside Buffy and whispered in her ear, “Goodnight, Goldilocks.” As he slightly tugged on her ear lobe.

Buffy felt his warm breath in her ear his teeth on her lobe. It made tingles again run up her spine, she can’t believe how much a slight touch of William here and there would give her such goosebumps. ‘Goldilocks?’ she questioned in her mind, surely he didn’t mean to mock her with her false blondeness. Cause he for one is not a natural blonde either that she’s sure of, but decided to dismiss it and said her own goodnight to him a slight brush of a kiss on his lips. Satisfied that she’d made him want her more, she went up the stairs a smile on her face. She’s going to have a good sleep tonight.

to be continued...

A/N: Longest chapter I have written so far, so one chapter is enough for now =D