Chapter 21 The Unexpected Twist

That bright Monday morning, two women could be seen sitting in the middle of the Summers’ kitchen. “Are you two heading back to LA today?” Joyce asked her eldest who was mindlessly playing with her cereal.

“Yeah, we have to get going… as soon as the sleepyhead from the other room wakes up!” Buffy mocked the sleeping form of William on the living room. He looked so peaceful; she hadn’t seem him sleep like this in a long time. Usually he was up before the whole town.

Joyce looked tentatively to the living room “He seems to be asleep.” and back to her daughter, “Buffy…”

“Yeah.” Buffy looked back to her mom, ‘here it comes’ she thought. The ‘Buffy be careful, are you sure about him’ speech is here. How could she ever think that she might just get away from it this time?

“You and William…” Joyce started but faltered.

“Yeah…” Buffy tried to stretch the inevitable.

“Buffy… Do you like him?”

“Huh?” I guess she missed the whole speech thing the other night. “No of course not… I’m using him for his money, getting him to will everything to me wait until he dies so that I get to inherit everything!” Buffy said, in a monotone with no hesitation. She received a rather stern look from her mother. She just gave her mom her best smile; “I was kidding mom… Yes. I very much like him… very, very much.” ‘I love him actually.’ But she thought she should slowly slide her mother into the situation rather than blow her away with all the information.

“I’m glad, sweetheart. I just hope he doesn’t hurt you.”

“I don’t think he will, mom.” That was one of the things she was sure of more than anything in this world. William would never hurt her; he didn’t have to say it for her to know he would never do anything remotely agonizing. She knew this might backfire in the future but, she loved him and he loved her and that’s all that mattered right now.

William was standing by the threshold looking at them giggling and eating breakfast. He just knew they were gossiping. He would never understand what there was with women and gossip.

“Good morning, ladies. I heard talking from the other room and thought I’d come in and interrupt.” He ventured into the kitchen with a toothy grin and placed a kiss on his girlfriend’s cheek, “What were you talking about? Hope it’s not me… is it?” he gave Joyce a look of greeting.

She returned his greeting and offered, “Would you like some breakfast?”

“I made cereal,” the woman beside him announced proudly.

“I didn’t know you could make cereal, luv?” he asked with a sly grin on his face as he looked at the other occupant of the kitchen.

“Saw it on the food channel,” Buffy continued. ‘Well that sure is amazing.’ He laughed inwardly. “Eat up we have a long ride home,” she smiled at him the way she always did. ‘God, I love this woman.’

“I’ll pass on the cereal, luv,” he replied as he poured himself some juice and grabbed a piece of toast. “Where’d the little bit go?” he asked as he noticed that absence of a certain blue-eyed brunette.

“She’s at school, trying to straighten out some stuff before the end of the school year,” Joyce complied. “So have you two finished packing?”

“Yeah. We’ll pretty much be leaving as soon as Dawn comes home,” Buffy answered. “I’m really gonna miss being here mom.”

“Yes… we’ll you know you’re always welcome to visit and same goes for you William. It’s nice having at least one of Buffy’s friends over.” Joyce offered.

William smiled complying with her proposition; “Maybe you should consider coming to LA sometime. Have you ever been to LA?” Hearing her answer no, “Well if you and the bit ever decide to drop by, I’d love to be your official tour guide.”

“Well… that’s very nice of you. I surely will consider the offer,” She said with a smile. “You better get ready, traffic is a nuisance.”

The couple finished their meal, nodded and headed up the stairs. Joyce watched them disappear through the doorway, as she gathered the dishes they had used. She really liked seeing Buffy happy; she had a glow about her that Joyce hadn’t seen since her seventh birthday, the last birthday to which her father actually showed up. She liked William a lot, he seemed to be a very nice man who would never hurt her baby. She just hoped that her instincts proved to be correct.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I guess that’s everything.” Buffy called as she walked down the stairs, her luggage in hand. When she reached the bottom, William took her bag. She let out a sigh, “I guess we had better get going…” she said as she gave her mom a hug, “I’m gonna miss you.”

“I’m gonna miss you too, sweetheart,” she returned the hug.

“Now you be good.” Buffy told her sister as she gave her a hug too.

Dawn just answered with a “yes” and an eye roll as she returned her gesture. Suddenly she jumped up and gave William a tight hug as she whispered, “make her happy.” “Hope to see you soon,” she said so all the occupants could hear.

“Same here, bit.” he settled her back on the ground. His mind still stuck on what the she had just whispered.

“It always a pleasure having you here, William. I would love if you would drag Buffy back here again soon.” She bid goodbye to the young gentleman, a smile on her face.

“I’ll try, Joyce” he answered with a grin, “And it’s always a pleasure to be here.”

As they walked down the path to William’s car he opened the trunk to place the last of the baggage in. “Why are you always being so nice to my mother?” Buffy accused from her spot beside the car, “It makes me look bad…”

“What?” He asked as he closed the trunk, “Your mom’s nice… why can’t I be nice too?” He smiled and chuckled as he started the car and gave a final wave to Joyce and Dawn as their car sped away from Revello Drive.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Here we are, luv.” William announced as he stopped in front of the agency building. “I’ll drop the bags at my place them we’ll pick them up later, kay?”

“Yeah” Buffy replied with a nod and leaned in for a quick tender kiss. “See you around five,” as she opened the car door and started to get out.

When she was just about to step on to the sidewalk, “Oh, Buffy!”

She stopped and turned when she heard him call out to her, peeking her head in the car window, “Yeah?”

After a moments pause as if thinking of what to say, “Tell Red I said hi.” he finished with his trademark grin.

She gave out a small laugh, saying, “No problem,” as she leaned in for another quick kiss before he sped off.

Willow was busy on the computer fixing some files when she heard the bell of the shop ring. A very cheery Buffy came in with a broad smile on her face. “Hey, Buffy. I guess everything was peachy in SunnyD huh?” she asked as she walked out from behind the counter.

“More than peachy, Will.” she replied with a sigh, “You’ll never believe me if I tell you.” She sat on the empty sofa by the waiting area.

“Then tell me,” the redhead spoke as she sat beside Buffy on the sofa. “I see spillage is in order.”

“You’ll never believe it, Willow,” she told her friend as she recalled the happenings of the weekend.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

William walked up the elevator greeting a couple of employees on the way. “Lilah, any calls?” he asked as he looked through the envelopes she held out to him.

“Tons, sir.” Lilah answered as she began to take out her note pad and before she could continue reading William’s messages. “Throw it” she heard her boss say. Still processing the information she called out, “Sir, Mr. Harris is inside your office.” just as William approached the door.

“Thanks, luv” he called as he swung it open, “Hey Harris! What are you doing here?”

The chair behind the large table that adored the office and spin around to reveal, “Where have you been?” Xander said in a motherly tone that William just couldn’t resist mocking him for it.

“Why do you ask, ‘mom’?”

Xander just rolled his eyes in response to his friends comment, “’cause your Uncle Rups has been looking for you for the past week. Where did you go?”

“Sunnydale. And what does the old man want this time?” William swung in to the chair in front of him.

“No clue. Sunnydale… huh?” he asked as he go through the many papers stacked on William’s desk. “Maybe I should try to visit Sunnydale sometime… seems to be a happy town ey?”

“Huh?” William inquired, totally missing his friend’s implication.

Xander pointed to his lips, a smile on them. “You seem to be happy… very happy.” He said as William broadened his smile, realizing that he had one since he came in. “Well… let’s pretend we’re girls and get on with the sharing. What’s getting my British pal all smiley?”

William chuckled, “What’s it to you?” as he took his seat in his chair.

“Just curious” was his simple reply. “Care to share?”

“Me and Buffy are together.” He said nonchalantly. Xander just blinked his eyes fast about ten times then froze, “Xander…” he tried calling as he waved his hand in front of him, “Xander…” Finally out of patience, “Harris!”

“Yeah” he answered sort of pulled from his state of shock, after a beat. “It’s about time!”

“It’s about time!” Willow shouted in excitement as Buffy told her about her short trip to Sunnydale.

“Not what I was expecting but…” Buffy trailed off as Willow hugged her and she began jumping up and down her seat begging to hear more.

“That’s so great! We knew it was coming. So what happened next, there’s got to be more right? I mean it was only Friday… what happened next?” Girlishly she insited that Buffy go into detail about everything.

“Well…” Buffy smiled, “Let’s just say he’s really ‘really’ sweet.”

“Sweet? As in what?” Willow tried to get more information; she had been waiting for ages for one of them to make their move. She even discussed it with Xander and Cordelia. Bets were even proposed when they were left alone at the table at the Bronze. “Don’t tell me that you and him…?”

“No. Nothing like that.” Buffy answered the redhead’s unfinished question. “He’s just a total gentleman, so tender, and treats me like the most fragile thing in the world. I know we’ve only been together for a couple of days, actually two days to be exact, but it feels like it took forever.”

“It ‘did’ take forever. We’ve been waiting for this to happen for ages.”

Buffy just chuckled at that, “So… change of topic. How are you and Oz? Last time I checked…”

Willow cut in, “Me and Oz are great, better than great actually.” she smiled. “You’re not the only one who got it on this weekend.”

“Yea Willow!” Buffy said as she playfully smacked her on the arm.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Better get going, man.” Xander finally decided that he better get back to the site before a certain girl of his kicked his ass later. Sure she might be all sweet and tender when they were out together but when it came to business, this girl meant business. “Good luck with Buffy” were his final words as he gave his friend a thumbs-up and left the room.

William rotated his chair back to face the big panel window behind. Looking across into the big city. He decided that it be best if he got started on the work he had neglected the past week. Just then the door on his office opened. It was so like Xander to forget something. Spinning in his chair, “What did you forget this time?” He trailed of when he saw the sight before him.

She was standing tall in all her glory, leaning on the door as it shut behind her. Her long black hair framing her pale features, pitch black eyes adoringly looking at him lips pursed a long red dress flowing until her ankles cascading her every curve. “Dru.”

“Hello, my William. How’s your day going, you seem rather happy.” she greeted as she whirled her way across the room.

“What are you doing here, Dru?” He asked, not moving from his previous position, as she continued moving towards him. He hissed slightly as she ran her finger down his chest onto his abdomen.

“Is that the way you talk to your princess?” she continued her earlier ministrations as she circled around him.

“What do you want?” He stopped her from spinning around him, held her onto her waist and steadied her in front of him.

“Oohh… my Spikey likes to play.” She suggested in a seductive tone.

Hearing this he released her, got up from his chair, and started to pace, “What are you really doing here?”

“Uncle Rupert asked me to come and visit.” She answered simply and sat in his chair spinning it around.

“Giles is not your uncle. And why would he ask you to come?” As if in response, his office door opened again.

“Thank God you’re here William! Where have you been?”

“I went away… why?” he eyed his uncle warily. “And what the bleeding hell is she doing here” he demanded as he pointed sternly at Drusilla.

“She’s here for business, William. Now I’d like to know where you’ve been?”

“I went away for the weekend” he answered plainly, “What business?” he asked still pertaining to the presence of a certain brunette.

“Well, as you know her father owns one of the biggest publishing companies in Europe. Drusilla here is his only daughter and she would be the one to take over the company if ever. And as her father is a very good friend of mine, we decided that who better to teach Drusilla the ropes than the best here in Los Angeles.” Giles explained as he took a seat on one of the chairs and began to polish his glasses.

“Her father? Who is her father exactly?” William asked as he stopped his pacing short. “And did I just hear you say that I have to help her? Bloody Hell, Giles! Ever heard of maybe asking first?”

“Tsk…tsk… my William” Drusilla waved her finger at him, “Is that any way to speak to your, uncle?” William just rolled his eye.

“Don’t you raise your voice at me.” Giles threatened. “She is the daughter of Ethan Rayne,” he answered more calmly, “And he and I would really appreciate it if you would do us this one favor.”

“And what makes you think I’m gonna do it?” he questioned with a raised brow.

“Because it would make me very pleased if you did so.” ‘Yeah right, like I’ll do it for that, soddin hell’ William thought. “And it would really do the company well.”

“The company well… How?” he asked with slight interest. He still didn’t like this idea, it was so typical of his uncle to make his life worse just when he thought it was going pretty well. And what he was saying about Drusilla didn’t seem to agree with what William already knew about her.

“There might be a considerable option for a merge.”

“That’s right!” Drusilla chimed in, “Isn’t that right Uncle Rupert?” She began to circle Giles now.

“Yes. And I suggest maybe we can talk about this over lunch?” William had no idea what the old man had planned for him, but he wanted to find out. With a heavy sigh he agreed. It’s not like he had anything better to do “Let’s go then.”

To be continued…