Chapter 25 A Hundred Lilies

Buffy walked into the agency door that bright morning, a gloomy face on. “Hey, Buffy! Have a nice morning?” Willow asked behind the counter ever so perky. She just received a nod as answer as the blonde went into the back room and placed her bag in one of the tables and proceeded to room where they stocked the video tapes and began the work of painfully looking over them.

“Hey, Buff is something wrong?” she asked worried, as she rushed from the front area of the agency and caught Buffy at the audio-visual room staring at the screen obviously not paying any attention to it. Buffy just shook her head not saying a word, “Do you wanna talk about it?” the redhead insisted but Buffy just sat there not responding. “Okay, if you’re sure…” Willow looked at her trying to read what was on her mind, “I’ll just be out front if you need anything,” the redhead said nodding off as she went back to the outer front of the agency.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back at William’s place, the bleach blonde was lying on his back restfully, as he can be sleeping. There was a muffled banging that he seemed to be ignoring as he grabbed one of the pillows and placed in on top of his head trying to block out the sounds and lights coming from the outside. But the insistent banging continued yet he still paid no attention to it as he tried to get back to sleep. A couple of moments later the banging stopped, “Oh thank god!” he exhaled as he rest his head back in bed.

“Hey, man!” Xander greeted quite loudly as he entered his friends bedroom going to the windows and opening the drapes to let the sunshine in, “I’ve been banging to the door for the last couple of minutes.”

‘Or not…’ he thought as he winced at the bright rays and buried his head deeper into the bed.

“Come on, man. Rise and shine. I’ve been looking everywhere for you,” Xander sat on the foot of William’s bed.

Realizing that his stubborn friend will probably never leave him be, “What the hell are you doing here, Harris!” was his muffled response as he still buried his head under the pillow.

“Just thought I’d drop by, see why you’re not at work,” he asked rather than stated.

“How did you bloody hell got in here?”

“Spare key.” he said simply dangling the silver key over his hand as if to let him see.

“Bollocks!” he threw the pillow over the bed, barely missing Xander, “Hey watch it!”

“Remind me to take that back from you later when I’m a little less drunk.” William said as he pulled the covers over his head.

“That bad huh?” Xander rose from his position and walked over to William’s side of the bed, “You and Buffy had a fight last night?” he pulled the covers away from the blonde.

“What’s it to you?” he asked as he snatched the covers back and tried to get back to bed.

“I don’t know… maybe I could help,” he battled with the covers, “I do know a thing or two about groveling, you know… and by the looks of things there’s got be major groveling,” he said the last part with struggle as he successfully snatched the blanket and threw it onto the floor out of both their reach. “So spill!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After about an hour of staring at the stupid screen not even registering anything in, she decided to maybe try to do some filing instead and maybe she should talk to Willow. The redhead was probably in a heap of worry already by the way she acted around her. “Hey, Wills.” Buffy greeted, trying to be cheerful but failing miserably, “Sorry I was the ice queen back there.” Buffy plopped down on one of the rotating chairs.

“It’s okay” Willow smiled at her, “just wished maybe you would tell me what’s wrong, maybe I could help…”

“It’s nothing really, just lack of sleep.” She half lied, she did not get enough sleep last night, William kept calling all night, of course she didn’t answer it at some point she just got tired of listening to the ringing and just pulled the cord out of the socket.

“I can see that,” she observed, “dark circles under your eyes plus they’re all puffy” she gestured under her eyes where the said circles and puffiness are. “Have you been crying?” she asked sympathetically. But Buffy didn’t answer her, “Is it, Spike?”

Buffy just breathed in deep still not replying, which pretty much answers as a yes, “What happened?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Well obviously it’ your fault, man.” Xander concluded. If looks could kill, Xander would probably be dead right now chopped off into tiny pieces by the look William threw his way. “I mean, come on, Will. Everybody knows that keeping silent is like saying you’re pleading guilty to the whole fucking jury.”

“Well,” he replied sarcastically, “Kill me because I thought silence meant, I have no soddin idea what to say.”

“Ahh the good days…” Xander stared off. “Just I suspected you’re up to some serious groveling, tsk…tsk…” he shook his head, “What did you do after that?”

“Well, I stood there for about five minutes until I realized she was gone, then went back to Rupert gave him a shout, threw a couple of nasty curses his way for spilling the juice and stormed out of there.”

“So you chased after her?” Xander asked.

“Not exactly…” Xander raised a brow at him asking him what he did, “Kinda went home and got myself a little bit drunk.” Xander hung his head in defeat, “Then I called her… but she didn’t bloody well answered probably disconnected the bleeding line.”

“Wow, man I should really teach you more about the women, and here we thought you were the ladies man.”

“You? Teach me about women?” William scoffed at that despite his despair, That’s funny, Xand… really funny.” he started laughing getting up from bed and heading into the kitchen.

“What?” he followed after him, “At least I don’t have a girlfriend who wants my ass kicked till Tuesday.” Xander defended, with William’s stern look, “Sorry.” William walked over to the counter to prepare some coffee, “So what is it you plan to do about it?”

“About what?” William asked. Totally dismissing Xander’s point.

“About the Buffster, man.” he shakes his head, “You’re hopeless!”

“Well, sorry you wanker but I’m not really used to chasing after women,” was his defended answer.

“Yeah,” Xander agreed, “’cause they always use to throw themselves at you, but now it’s different it’s time for you to do what every guy has found no answer to in the history…”

“And what is that?” he asked not wanting an answer, as he continued, “Understanding women.” they said simultaneously then started to give out a laugh as they drank their coffee.

“But seriously, man. You’re gonna have to beg this time, walk on your knees if you have too. ‘cause trust me it’s going to take more than your bleach wonder to win her back.” Xander suddenly got an idea, he smiled as if a light bulb was atop his head, “Do you know her favorite flowers?”

“Yeah…” William replied eyes narrowed, slightly trying to figure out was his friend has in mind.

“Get the phone and your credit card my dear friend, ‘cause we’re gonna max it out!”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Wow,” was Willow’s reaction after Buffy had told her the happenings of the night before.

“Thought so… Well after that he tried calling me for about two hours but I just pulled the line loose.”

“That sure is harsh Buff…” Willow said eyebrows crossed, “It could be that he just forgot to tell you…” she defended the bleach blonde.

“Still…” she insisted, “even if that’s true… how about the flirting huh?”

“Well, you could have misunderstood that…” she reasoned, “You know a lot of ex’s do become friends… and they were family friends…” Buffy just shook her head refusing to listen to the reasons Willow had laid out to her. Just as Willow was about to defend the bleach blonde yet again the bell above the door rang indicating there was a person at the door, Willow poked her head up from her position in her seat. “Yeah? How may I help you?”

“Umm… delivery for Buffy Summers?” the delivery man asked Willow looking at his clipboard.

Hearing this, Buffy stood up curios of who would be sending her any package, she wasn’t expecting anything, “Yeah, I’m Buffy.”

“Bring it in guys!” the delivery man called to his fellow co-workers outside, “If you just sign this,” he held his clipboard close to her as a line of men came in carrying big bouquets of white lilies.

Willow was the first to get excited as she grabbed the cards from the flower arrangements as the delivery people brought them in, reading the card in order as they came ‘I’m sorry. Life’s. Tedious. Without. You. With love, William’ she read off the five separate cards held by about the a hundred lilies that now filled their agency. “Aww… That’s so sweet Buffy…” but when she looked at where Buffy used to stand she was not there, the curtain to the inner office swinging behind her.

The delivery man still held his clipboard in the air as Willow signed for it and apologized, following Buffy to the back bringing one of the bouquets of lilies and the cards. “Buffy…” she found her by the audio-visual room again trying to find something to do. “Look how beautiful these are!” she held the flowers to her, “And the card, read it.” she heal the cards out.

“I heard, Wills” was her only reply as she continued to search through the papers by the table.

“And…”

“And… nothing”

“Buffy…” the blonde looked at her eyes wide, “Talk to him,” Buffy just shook her head, “and why not?” she asked hands on her hips, she loves her friend but sometimes she’s just way too stubborn.

“Because you can apologize through flowers?” she told her, “It takes more than that!”

“Like what? It’s not like you were willing to talk to him. Does he have to walk on his knees to get you to forgive him? The flowers are lovely…” she held the bouquet near, “Plus ‘life’s tedious without you’” she quoted the message, “Come on Buffy, doesn’t it softens you a little…” she said, ‘I’m getting through her, yes!’ her mind screamed.

Buffy gave out a half a smile, “They are beautiful aren’t they…” Willow raised her brow at her just then the phone rang.

Taking the receiver off the wall, “Hello?” she answered, “Oh, hi spike… yeah, she’s here.” She nods her head, “Yes and they were beautiful… of course you can… wait a minute.”

“Buffy,” she looked up at her, “Phone” she stretched out her hand. Buffy shook her head, eyes wide. Covering the speaker of the phone, “Buffy” she hissed at her forcing the phone to her face her resolve face on.

Buffy rolled her eyes a couple of times, taking the phone from Willow, “Yeah?”

to be continued...