Chapter 28 Mystery

William woke up the next day feeling the bright rays of the sunlight coursing through his closed eyelids. Trying to block out the light he buried his head into the pillow in a force he regretted he had. He had a pounding headache; it was like Harris was doing construction right inside his skull. ‘Great you big wanker. Got yourself drunk! How do you feel now?’ Facing the other side of the room, forcing his eyelids to open he saw a blurry vision of a raven-haired figure with a very fair complexion. Blinking his eyes to clear his vision he saw… “Dru?”

After making some murmuring noises, the brunette opened her eyes to directly meet with blue ones. “Heya, morning… did you sleep well?” Bolting up from bed as if he was caught in a crossfire, “What are you doing here?”

“I’m waking up from bed, silly!” she told him as if it were the most normal thing for her to do.

“Uh huh,” he muttered as he started to get out of bed, noticing for the first time that he was only wearing his boxers. Closing his eyes briefly to dull out the pain in his head, “Where’s my pants?”

“Oh, they’re there by the sofa. I took them off you last night. You were really drunk,” she stated as she grabbed the bathrobe hooked on the table lamp wrapping it around her body. “How’s that feeling by the way… You want some tea?” she went to the mini bar turning on the electric thermos.

“Umm…” he stuttered as he tried to get his pants back on staring at the rumpled sheets of the bed they had just departed. “Dru?”

“Yeah…” she replied from inside the bathroom.

“What exactly happened last night?” he got a cup with hot steaming tea in it and sat on the small table and chairs by the window as he took a sip out of his tea.

“Oh, you were really drunk,” she emphasized as she yanked open the door taking a cup from the mini bar as she sat herself across William. “Thinking the light bulbs were stars” she said with a laugh as she rested her head atop her hands. “Pretty much that’s all that happened last night.” She sipped her tea looking at him, eyes gleaming.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The bell atop the door of the Match-made in Heaven Agency rang, “Hey Buffy!” greeted the redhead behind the counter. “Hmm… you came in late today, I figure last night must have been fun huh… with the lateness of today,” she said teasingly as Buffy came in and dropped her bag at the back as she came back out and slumped on her chair. “So…details!” Willow exclaimed.

“You know…” she waved a hand. “Normal date, yada yada yada…” Willow waited. “Umm… dinner… car ride… went home…”

“And?” she prompted.

Buffy replied wide-eyed as the redhead narrowed her eyes, “Oh, we did have dessert,” she offered.

“Nothing special, Buff?”

“It was nice enough… kind of enjoyed it actually…” she said smiling. “It’s just that after that wasn’t so nice” she murmured under her breath. Willow looked at her pointy, “Will called.” The redhead shrugged her shoulders as if saying ‘so what?’. “Scott answered” she continued.

Willow’s eyes widen comically, nodding her head in understanding, “Ohh…”

“Uh huh…” Buffy shoved her face in her hands.

“I’m sure he didn’t think any of it…” Willow tried to comfort Buffy though slightly doubting it herself. “Okay…maybe…” she cringed. “But I’m sure S—wait, are you worried about Spike? Or Scott?”

Buffy looked up, “I’m not sure…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“I think you better go,” William stood from his seat, “Jet will be here in an hour…get yourself cleaned up.”

“But…” she interrupted as she also stood, “I thought…”

“Nothing changed Dru,” he cringed as he took a step back, he wouldn’t want his imagination to work out what happened last night. “Whatever—whatever happened last night. It didn’t change anything … you should really go.”

Drusilla looked amorally at him under her lashes. “Fine! Be that way!” she slammed the cup on the table as she walked out. “I always get what I want William, you’ll see!” she eyes gleamed as she shut the door with a bang.

William just slumped on the chair, tilting his head back. “Well that’s bloody over dramatic.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Willow was sitting by the computer, searching the web for her daily horoscope. “Hey, look at this, Buffy. I got my horoscope off the internet, and the stars say…” She read from the screen, ‘You might come upon a good opportunity today, keep an open mind.’

“Interesting…” Buffy said from behind the curtain, after some thumping sounds “now look up mine.” ‘ring…ring…’ Willow was about to rise from her seat, “I’ll get it!” Buffy called from the back rushing out to answer the phone.

“Hello… yeah…oh hi! It’s nice of you to call…aha… umm… I don’t think so…” Willow threw Buffy a quizzical look but she just dismissed her with a hand wave as the redhead turned her eyes back on screen. “Umm… sure, I guess…yeah, that would be great…yeah…bye…see ya.”

“Who was it?” Willow asked as she clicked an icon with her mouse.

“Scott…” Buffy replied kind of dreamily, “what?” she defended when her friend shot her a disapproving look. “It totally shows he doesn’t mind…” she explained lamely. “It’s just lunch…”

“A lunch date,” Willow retorted.

“Whatever, okay…” Buffy said, “What does my horoscope say?”

Willow threw Buffy another disapproving glance before she read off her monitor, ‘If confusion is what you feel, a break may be the answer. Give yourself time to think and explore other possibilities. The right decision will come to you.’

After hearing the passage the two friends simultaneously looked at each other eyes wide with shock, “Oh my goddess.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The plane ride back to Los Angeles was really deafening… literally. If it weren’t for the clanking of his glass on the makeshift table William would have thought he had already gone deaf. They could probably hear the engine roaring with the silence they are in now.

The two passengers sat an aisle apart. Neither had said a word to the other. The only interactions were the dubious looks the brunette was throwing William’s way. Normally he wouldn’t mind, Dru is normally known to be a bit on the loopy side but now he had an unnerving feeling that something major is about to go wrong.

As the plane taxied down to the ground, the two passengers got ready to board off. When the plane had safely landed they were both welcomed by Rupert and a man almost the same age as him with almost the same physic. “William! Dru!” he held his arms out as a sign of welcome.

“Daddy!” Drusilla ran over and hugged the man and he gladly returned her gesture.

With William’s quizzical look, “Will, you remember Ethan right?” Rupert introduced. The bleach blonde just nodded in his direction as a symbol of greeting.

“It’s so nice to see you again son.” He hugged William in a manly gesture, a very awkward gesture. “Well the last time I saw you were this big,” he indicated with his hands. “You’ve grown into quite a young man since then,” he patted him on the back.

‘Well duh…’

“So, how you’ve been?” he encourage William forward walking with his as they walk back into the airport lobby with Drusilla and Rupert trailing behind.

After a couple of minutes, as they neared the doors. “What the bloody hell?!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“What the bloody hell?!” William cried out, as he halted at his tracks, glaring at Ethan with narrowed eyes.

“Oh, my boy!” he patted his on the back. “What a sense of humor!” he ushered him forward.

“Wait just a bloody second!” he shrugged off his arm as Rupert and Drusilla walked towards them. “What is he talking about?” he turned to face his Rupert face flaming with anger and confusion as he tried to make sense of what he just heard.

“Oh, my, my you haven’t told him Rupert?” Ethan tsked. Giles took his glasses of and wiped them vigorously, “Umm… not exactly…”

“Well at least you know now, Willy my boy. It’s gonna be the best event of the year if I have anything to do with it.” He pulled Drusilla to his side, “Nothing but the best for my princess right?”

“That’s right!” she compiled with a leering look reminding William that she does always get what she wants.

“This is not happening! You people are diabolical is what you are!” he stormed off, intending of forgetting about the recent exchange ‘it’s all just a nightmare, a sick nightmare.’

“I think you better have a talk with your him,” Ethan told him in a threatening tone as he watched William walked off.

“Yes…Yes, of course” he answered as he followed William’s retreat.

to be continued...

A/N: I'd love to stop here but I'm feeling nice today lol =) Thanks for all the reviews!