Chapter 29 Revealed

“William” Rupert called from across the lobby; which caused pretty much all the employees to dart a look at him. Rushing after his nephew and out the doors, “Will! Will you wait a bloody second?” He told him panting for air. “You’re gonna be killing me with all this running.”

“I don’t see it much as a problem…” William halted just outside the parking lot, vigorously looking for his car, ‘where the hell is it?’ He began walking the outskirts of the lot.

“William, I need you to go back in there and straighten this thing out.” He continued after him.

“Did you just tell me to straighten things out!” he scoffed off as he continued his walk. “I think you’re the one who needs to straighten things out!”

“No” was his simple reply. “You owe them an apology for rushing out like that.”

“And you owe me an explanation!” he retorted back at him. “You have got to be kidding me. I’m not gonna— it’s never gonna happen.”

“It’s not a choice, William!” he shouted in frustration.

“Bloody right it’s not a choice! This is my life we are talking about, there is always a choice!” he emphasized. Ruining his life was like a professional job for Rupert. A new can of worms seems to pop up every single day; his life was turning into a soddin’ soap opera. “I’m not going to agree to your stupid plan or whatever the bleeding hell you want to call it. Who do you think you are, coming in here and telling me that I’m gonna get married to her?!”

“I already told you, it’s not a choice for you or for me. This is something that you might call,” he cleaned his glasses, “I don’t know, a betrothal.”

“Bollocks! What’s it for?” he asked him raising an eyebrow in the process. He doesn’t even know why he’s arguing about this. “I never freaking heard of it before. Nobody said anything about a betrothal. Its bull and you know it!”

“I wouldn’t be telling you this if it weren’t true.” Rupert’s voice was filled with exasperation; it’s like he would love to rip of his hair if he could. Why couldn’t William just accept things the way they are. Though if it were him, he would never accept it either but it wasn’t him they were talking about. “The reason you didn’t know about this damn thing was because Ethan was afraid that Drusilla wouldn’t agree with it,” he explained vaguely. “Damn that daughter-whipped soddin’ old man!” William muttered a couple of curses under his breath. “So I thought it was best if you didn’t know.”

“It was for the best huh?” he mocked him.

“Yes.” Rupert sat on the stray bench and continued, “At first she wouldn’t agree, just like we all expected.” As Rupert continued, William too sat on the bench beside his uncle. “We gave her time to think… to adjust, we thought maybe she would come around.” He breathed in heavily, “Ethan had this scheme where you too would ‘accidentally’ meet on your own. It worked at first problem solved you never have to know.”

There was silence as Rupert went for a dramatic continuation, “Then. She freaking backed out. That bint is really crazy.” Rupert shook his head.

“Tell me about it.” William agreed. And in that moment they finally agreed on something looking at each other with an amused face then turning back to the topic again like clockwork.

“Wait.” William raised his hand, “What’s the problem actually? Why did THIS have to happen in the first place.” Rupert shrugged hesitating on telling William the truth. It was really very shallow. Finally deciding that lying didn’t work before and maybe he could give truth a try this time. “Money. It was money.”

“Just money?!” for the first time that day, William actually laughed. “Hell I can pay for it, are we in debt now?! Come on, you’re filthy rich.” If it were just money, this whole thing is not a problem… not at all.

“I hate to break it to you, Will. But if I thought it were that easy I would have already done that and be finished with all these.” He shook his head. “It’s not the cash kind of money though it did originate from that.”

William tilted his head, “Meaning?”

Rupert sighed, “Meaning, he was the one who funded for THIS business we so called ours. So in return we agreed that maybe… someday… in payment we can merge with the England branch.” He continued, “Ethan said that to insure the loyalty of the merge, you two should be betrothed.”

“So… let me think,” William got up and paced in front of him, “It’s not my problem… it’s YOUR problem.” He stopped dead in front of Rupert.

“Yeah, but you are included in this whether you like it or not, Ethan wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“No way! Tell me you’re just playing with me!” Giles stared at him, William sneered still in disbelief. “This can’t be happening.” He paced back and forth, “This is not happening! Do you understand! Not happening!” he half screamed into the heavens.

“Well it bloody well is! And the sooner you get over it the better.”

William tilted his head like he had a sudden realization, “Wait…” he paced faster. Rupert looked intently at him, trying to understand his sudden discovery. “If she backs out I’m off the hook right?”

He nodded his head, “Yeah… but that’s pretty unlikely. Especially now that ‘Daddy’s here and princess wouldn’t want to disappoint daddy!’” he mocked.

“It has to work.” He insisted, “It has to work cause she wouldn’t be pleased if she heard of this. She would even get more upset than she is already now… I’m not even sure if I have half a chance now but… oh…”

“Who?” Rupert asked, “Buffy? Oh please, Will! If you’re worried about her forget it. We both know it was never going to work out. She was never the long haul girl now was she?”

“How would you know?” William spat out, how could Rupert talk that way about Buffy, his Buffy… at least he thinks she still is…

“She’s not of your status, that’s how I know. You’re too good for her.”

“Maybe she’s the one too good for me. Ever thought of that?”

“Please, the chit hasn’t even finished college and what can she really offer you?”

Million of things popped into his mind, patience, understanding, companionship, joy, love… but there’s no use telling this things out loud cause that was not what his uncle meant by offer. “Don’t you dare talk to her that way and it isn’t always about money.”

“I’m just telling you the truth, William. You and I both know it, Buffy’s just another girl in the long list of girls you have who you leave when someone better comes along.” At that point, he filled up with rage as his fist connected with Rupert’s nose knocking him into the ground as he walked off his coat blowing off behind him.

“You know I’m right, William!” He called after as he wiped some blood of his nose.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike was walking to… he doesn’t know where we was going and something told him he doesn’t really care. He didn’t know what to do now, he wanted to get out of it. He wanted to forget about it like it was just a nightmare, he’d like to pretend that he was going to wake up any second now… but the problem was that it wasn’t. His whole life was going to change if he ever agreed to this. How about Buffy… he still loves her…

The clouds started to darken as the rain fell, he ducked into a coffee shop. He decided to call a cab from the inside and maybe clear his mind and go somewhere, somewhere were nobody could bother or influence him. Just as he was at the counter and asked the woman behind if he could borrow their phone he heard a familiar laugh and turned his head. “Bloody hell.” he whispered.

Buffy was having a good time; technically she was having a good laugh though one could call that having a good time too. Scott was a nice guy, he was stable, successful and he was fun to be around with but there was something missing. As she followed in on his joke and snickered she saw a familiar face among the crowd. “Oh god, oh god!” she chanted under her breath.

“Are you okay, Buffy?” Scott asked as he placed his palm over hers, Buffy looked at their joined hands and he abruptly kept his hands to himself. ‘Did he just raise his eyebrow at me?’ “Excuse me a sec, will you?” Buffy excused herself and left the table without even giving Scott time to answer.

As Buffy walked closer to him, a lump on her throat began to form. He was giving her that look. “Hey, Will you’re back!”

“Yeah… just now actually…” he said an unreadable expression in his face as he tried peeking behind Buffy for the guy she was with.

“I see, well. I got your message… I wanted to call it’s just that I’ve sorta been busy…” Buffy was staling she didn’t know from what but she was babbling.

“I can see that.” He swung his head to Scott’s direction. Buffy looked back, good thing Scott’s back was turned. ‘You walked right into that one didn’t you…’ “Well…” Buffy gave him an awkward smile. “I’d invite you to our table but…” she shrugged her shoulders.

“I wouldn’t want to sit either way, luv. Don’t want to disturb your date.”

“It’s not a date!” she said defensively. He just nodded his head. “It’s not! Not a formal one anyway… it’s just hanging out.”

“Yeah… I heard you two were hanging out a lot these couple of days…”

“Oh, that…”

“Look I better go.”

“Will… wait!” she placed her hand on her shoulder but took it away as soon as William looked back at her. “I-“

“What? You have an explanation? Cause I’d love to hear it! Please tell me…”

Buffy breathed in deep, “I think… I think we need a break… a cool off from each other…”

“Not what I was expecting but…”

“It’s not bec-“

“Its okay, no need to explain, luv. I understand.” He turned his back on her and proceeded out the door. Just before he turned the knob, he looked back at her…

“Goodbye…” he uttered as he ran out into the rain.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Woke up today thinking of you
Another night that I made my way through
So many dreams still left in my mind
But they can never come true

After the incident in the café Buffy decided to just leave but Scott insisted that he bring her home but she said she needed to get back to the office. As she got out of the car and quickly duck into the roof in front of the building she found the strength to wave goodbye to him as his car traveled down the road.

I press rewind and remember when
I close my eyes and I'm with you again
But in the end I can still feel the pain ¨c every time I hear your name

Before she opened the door and into the agency, she looked back into the sidewalk hoping against all that he would be here waiting for her, still refusing to let her go, but all she saw was the empty road.

The sun won't shine since you went away
Seems like the rain's falling every day

The sidewalk was filled with men and women ducking into shops, frantically opening up their umbrellas as the rain fell over the city. And they can’t help but wonder, were the skies sharing their sorrow?

There's just one heart, where there once was two
But that's the way it's gotta be,
Until I get over you

But one man stood out from the crowd, he was walking steadily as if it was Sunday in the park and the sun was shinning. His whole body was getting drenched but he didn’t seem to care for he just kept on walking to a place he only knew…

Walked through the park, in the evening air
I heard a voice and I thought you were there

After the long walk he decided to best go home. He walked into his apartment body totally drenched with the rain but he didn’t care the coldness he felt was nothing compared to the coldness deep within his soul.

I run away but I just can't escape
Memories of you everywhere

Seeing the place he used to love most, now just filled with memories that hurt too much to even contemplate he wanted to get out more than ever.

They say that time will dry the tears
But true love burns for a thousand years

Sitting on the bench looking out into the rain that never seemed to stop, she wondered what the heavens were crying about… “Buffy, are you okay?” she heard her friend ask, she just nodded her head as she continued to stare out into the night, tears drenching her cheeks.

Give my tomorrows for one yesterday
Just to know that I could have you here

He walked over to the big glass door leading to the veranda as he traced the path the water was flowing, and then the tears finally fell.

When will this river of tears stop fallin'
Where can I run so I won't feel alone
Can't walk away when the pain keeps callin'

“You better get the blinds down. The rain is falling hard I think it’s best if we go,” she heard Willow call out to her. Following orders she held on to the latch and pulled. Before she let go, she wiped her cheeks to show no evidence of her heartache as the blinds fell over the window pane. She couldn’t see the rain falling anymore but she could hear the lighting screaming to her as her heart did.

I've just gotta take it from here on my own
But it's so hard to let go

There was a sound coming from the kitchen; he didn’t need to look back for the shadows were already pronouncing his presence. “William… we-“

He didn’t let him finish. He’d finally made his decision, “I’ll do it.”

to be continued...

A/N: Song was Until I get Over you. I promise a bit Spuffy next chap! Story's about to end so don't give up on it just yet. =)