Willow entered the room quietly half in fear of what she might find. She knew exactly why Spike had turned up last night. Buffy was already up and getting dressed, she stood half in her closet doorway. Willow gasped as she saw the mottled bruises that were scattered across Buffy’s thighs and arms. Buffy turned and spoke quickly.

“It’s not as bad as it look’s.”

“Did he hurt you? How? I thought his chip....” Willow was well on the way to being angry.

“No, no. He didn’t hurt me, things just got kinda.... passionate. He’s in worse shape than me.” Buffy flushed to her roots. Willow just kind of gaped at Buffy.

“So anyway, hence trying to find something to wear, long sleeves, high neck, I’m going to look like a mime.” Buffy let out a big sigh.

Willow took the hint that Buffy didn’t really want to talk about it anymore.

“Well, I haven’t got class till this afternoon, so I’m going back to bed. Oz kept me up late too.” Willow smiled cheekily at Buffy trying to make Buffy less embarrassed. For some reason Buffy looked more flushed.

“Err Will, you might want to change the sheets.” Buffy tried not to look mortified.

“Eew. Ok well I’ll just sleep in your bed then.” Willow padded across the room.

“I probably wouldn’t sleep there either.” Buffy tried not to laugh.

Willow beat her to it. She burst out laughing.

“Ok, enough of the tip toeing around. I want details. Now!” Willow pulled the quilt over the sheet’s just using the tip of her finger and thumb, and sat down carefully. Buffy was almost crying with laughter by the time Willow looked up again.

“Ok. What do you want to know? Because I’m not volunteering anything.” Buffy sat on the bed with Willow.

“Was it good? How did you manage to use both beds. No waits don’t answer that last part, I don’t think I ever want to know.” Willow chuckled again.

“It was fantastic.” Buffy blushed again.
“He was all manly and he took control, God Willow, I don’t think I’ve ever felt so free. I didn’t have to worry about hurting him, nothing. I just let it happen.” Buffy was smiling dreamily.

“So, it’s a big no to sleeping with humans then, well if Spike’s in the same state as you.” Willow smiled a bit sadly then instantly felt guilty as she saw Buffy’s face drop.

“I hadn’t even really thought about it, but I suppose so, yeah.” Buffy didn’t really know what else to say.

“So what are you going to tell Riley?” Willow hoped that Buffy was going to let him down gently, he really was besotted with her.

“Oh. My. God. Riley! I haven’t even thought about him. Willow, what am I going to do?” Buffy was nearly hyperventilating.

“Buffy, calm down, obviously you just don’t feel the same way as he does, you would have worked it out anyway, but can I ask you something?” Willow asked slowly.

“Sure.” Buffy answered carefully. Something in Willow’s tone of voice made her a little nervous.

“How do you feel about Spike. I mean, I know you and I know that you wouldn’t just sleep with someone without feeling something. Well you know, apart from Poop Head, and you did sort of feel something. Although I think that was all just residual from Angel.... And someone just gag me. Buffy I am so sorry, I didn’t mean...”

“It’s ok Will, and to be honest I don’t know. He is so infuriating, half the time I want to hit him, but every now and again I catch this look in his eye.. and oh I don’t know. But you know, I don’t want to kill him anymore so that’s progress.” The more Buffy thought about it the more her brain hurt.

“Will? Can I ask you something now? A favour?” Buffy asked a bit shyly and now it was Willow’s turn to be nervous.

“Sure Buff, shoot.” Willow plastered a smile on.

“I want to do something .. Er nice for Spike but I’m not sure what to do. Will you help me, what do you think?”
“Ok, what did you have in mind. A fruit basket, because all my gift idea’s might be a bit wasted on Spike.” Willow sniggered a bit at the thought of Buffy giving Spike a fruit basket or a balloon.

“Well I wasn’t really thinking of a token gift as such, I was thinking more along the lines of returning the favour he did for me, but in a different way.” Buffy couldn’t help it, she blushed again. She could almost see the thought’s running through Willow’s mind, and laughed out loud.

“No, Silly, I don’t want you to ‘do’ anything, I want some help with idea’s. Wait that sounds even worse. Let me tell you about the plan and we’ll go from there.

A little while and a lot of giggling later they had come up with a plan. Buffy stood and spoke to Willow.

“Okay, so the agenda for the day. Spike’s present and there was something else wasn’t there.”
She smacked her forehead as the penny dropped.

“Oh and break up with Riley.”


***

Spike was going nuts, bouncing off the walls, and all because he hadn’t seen the Slayer in one whole day. Last night had been incredible, the sex aside, because he knew that it would be incredible, he had seen a different side of Buffy, she had let herself go. Been totally herself and if it was possible he loved her even more. His thoughts suddenly sobered. It had only been a favour hadn’t it, to see if she could have sex with a human without hurting them. Just because she couldn’t, it didn’t mean that she would turn to him did it?

He would go over there at sunset and talk to her. See where things would go from here, and keep his fingers crossed that she didn’t laugh in his face.

He was startled out of his ramble with the crypt door opening and the witch entering carefully and closing it behind her.

“Hey Spike.” Willow couldn’t help it she blushed to her roots, looking at Spike now was never going to be easy again.

“Red.” Spike acknowledged her greeting and stifled a chuckle at her discomfort, obviously her and Buffy had been talking.

“Err Buffy asked me to give you a message.” Willow looked embarrassed still and Spike’s heart sank. This was it, the Slayer had sent the witch over to tell him to stay away from her.

“Well what is it?” It came out more roughly than Spike had meant. He saw Willow flinch and felt bad. It wasn’t her fault was it?

“Buffy wants to know if you could meet her at the dorm tonight at eight.”

Spike nearly fell out of the chair in shock, he stood up sharply to try to cover up his reaction.

“Sure. What’s it about?” Suddenly he was still weary, maybe Buffy wanted to tell him to fuck off herself. Willow smiled slightly and then blushed again.

“It’s a supprise. Eight o’ clock. And that’s all I’m allowed to say on the matter. But on a different matter, Buffy really is bruised from your err .. escapades. I really don’t want to do the ‘If you hurt her speech’ but you know the drill right?” Willow had her resolve face on and she just prayed that the Vampire in front of her didn’t laugh in her face.

Spike didn’t say anything at first, he just turned around and pulled his T-shirt over his head. He heard Willow gasp and decided not to show her his chest. He pulled the shirt back on before turning around. He smiled.

“She can look after herself Red, but it’s good to know that you still look out for her. I know things are tense between everyone at the moment. How is Dog Boy, Oz is it?”

Willow nearly cried, things had been so tense, distant. She and Buffy hadn’t really got round to making things right, everyone was so busy doing there own thing.

“Pull up a chair, stay for a bit.” Spike smiled reassuringly at her.

“You know I think he’s going to leave me, there’s this girl.” Willow hadn’t meant to pour her heart out, but she sat down and did it anyway.

**

Buffy had managed to avoid Riley at the end of her classes, she had sent Willow with a message to meet her at her dorm room at 6 o’clock. Poor Willow, she was definitely coming good on the being helpful front. Buffy felt instantly bad and made up her mind that when all this was over she would make more Willow time. Willow had spent ages with her earlier setting out candles everywhere, getting nice smelling oil to burn and the perfect music for tonight, and on top of all that, she had agreed to stay out tonight.

She felt a pang of sadness at the thought of it being all over, this thing with Spike whatever it was, it made her happy. And true to Buffy style that meant someone would die, get captured or something just as horrible.

A knock at the door snapped her out of any thoughts, she looked at the clock. 6pm almost exactly. Good old dependable Riley.

“Hi.” Buffy opened the door and greeted her soon to be ex boyfriend.

“Hello Buffy, I got Willow’s message from you and here I am.” Riley entered and stood in the doorway with a sling on his arm, and a goofy grin on his face. He looked around the room and his grin got even bigger.

“Riley sit down, we need to talk.” Buffy took a big mental sigh, deciding that a straightforward approach would be best.

“I think I know what this is about Buffy.” Riley still had that goofy look which made Buffy doubt very much that he had a clue.

“What do you think it’s about?” Buffy asked nervously.

“Well we’ve been going out for a while now, and you think maybe it’s time to take the next step. I think so too.” Riley was still smiling that smile. It was really starting to grate on Buffy’s nerves. But she was however grateful for the opening to the topic. She decided to chicken out.

“Well that's what I wanted to talk about. You see, you know I broke your hand? Well it’s going to get worse. My watcher says that I have reached my prime and I’m stronger than I was. So you see it’s not going to work between us.” Buffy spoke quickly hoping that he would just get up and leave.

No such luck.

“Buffy, silly, I can take a bit of rough.” Still smiling....

“Riley I broke your hand for God’s sake.” Buffy let out an exasperated sigh, no this was going to take longer.

“It will heal.” He was still smiling.

Ok this was going to take a different angle.

“Riley I’m sorry, but I don’t love you.” Buffy winced waiting for the onslaught.

“That’s ok Buffy, I don’t believe in love at first sight either, it’s something that takes time.” For the love of God, did he ever stop smiling.

Buffy noticed that this wasn’t going anywhere.

“I’m seeing someone else.” She blurted out, she almost stuck her tongue out at him. Take that.

“Now your just being silly, when would you have time to meet someone else? All you do is college and patrol.” Ha, the smile was drooping a bit. Buffy tried to feel bad but all she felt was triumph.

“He’s a vampire, I met him on patrol.” Buffy was on a roll now.

“That’s ridiculous, you would never date a vampire.” Ok the smile had gone, now there was a slight patronising look.

“Excuse me, I lost my virginity to a vampire, dated him for about a year.”

“Please.. Oh I know what this is, it’s like Stockholm syndrome or something, you spend so much time with them, you think your developing a bond with them. You know Buffy I think this just boils down to a fear of commitment, I know what happened with Parker, your afraid that if your intimate with someone that they will hurt you. When we make love it wont be like that I promise.”

That fucking smile was back.

“Stockholm syndrome is when you fall in love with your kidnapper. And excuse me fear of commitment? I have slept with him already, in fact he’s coming over tonight, we’re going to have sex all night. Are you getting my point here?” By this time Buffy was praying for another apocalypse, anything to end this nightmare.

“Riley listen to me, now. I love him. In a way I didn’t think was possible, and no I don’t know if he feels the same but I have to try. I am sorry that this has come out of the blue, but it is over. Over. Understand.” Buffy was deadly serious, she let it show in her face. A part of her was just as stunned as Riley at this revelation. She loved Spike? Yeah she did.

Riley stood, looking mildly angry.
“Buffy I think this joke is not really funny anymore. I’m going to give you time to reflect on what you’ve done, then we can talk. I’ll call you tomorrow.” And with that he left.

Buffy grabbed a pillow to her face and screamed. She felt slightly better, she glanced at the clock, half an hour before Spike came, she set about the room lighting candles with a warm feeling coursing through her.