Darkness Rushes In

Author's Note: This part of the story was betaed by vaida:) I'd like to thank her for the hard work she did.

1

A year had passed since the final battle of Sunnydale and the world as Buffy knew it had changed. Giles had returned to England in hopes of reconstructing the watcher’s council with the help of ex-principal Wood. Willow and Xander joined Faith in Cleveland, setting up an academy for all the new slayers out in the world. Spike was dead to Buffy and the eldest slayer now lived in a small riverfront town of Kentucky called Covington with her sister. Despite a few slayings in the local graveyards and along the riverfront, life was pretty quiet for the Summers women. Of course she kept in touch with the gang through email and phone, but had yet to see anyone in person..
The day started like any other normal day. Breakfast at seven, school and work by eight. Everyone home by five. The vampires and demons that used to fill every aspect of their lives in Sunnydale, had now dwindled down to a small twinkle. Sometimes Buffy would go a whole month without slaying anything at all.
“How was school?” Buffy asked as Dawn dumped her books into the nearest chair.
“Usual. Lisa and I have this major exam we have to study for and world Civilization wants us to watch CNN and write a report on what we see.”
“Oh,” Buffy arched a brow, a small smile on her lips as she pointed the remote control and changed the tv to the news channel. “Better late then never.”
“Now?!” Dawn looked up at her sister in disbelief. It was Friday and CNN was the last thing she had wanted to watch. “But I was hoping to watch TRL. Justin Timberlake is supposed to be on today.”
“Sorry, but Justin is just going to have to wait. You know the rules.”
“Dawn flopped down beside her sister, her face distorted with distaste. “Yeah , yeah. Work before play. I know, but it doesn’t mean that I have to like it.”
“But you still have to do it,” Buffy looked at her sister as she switched the tv onto the news channel. Dawn’s frown turned into a o of surprise as she looked at the screen.
“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked. She turned her head to see what had caused her sister’s pouting to cease. She blinked in utter shock as she saw what was once the town she called home. She closed her eyes and opened them again, staring at the familiar landmarks that should by all rights be laying at the bottom of a giant crater. It was like the apocalypse had never happened. Sunnydale was whole again, as good as new, baffling the state of California and it’s officials.
“Are you seeing what I’m seeing?” Dawn ‘s voice trembled with disbelief and fear as Buffy turned up the volume.
Buffy and Dawn clung to each other’s hand as they listened to the report.
“No one knows how this had happened. One year ago, an earthquake had destroyed the small town of Sunnydale, leaving a huge crater in it’s place. There had been no now effort to rebuild the town. But just this morning the town had mysteriously reappeared, as if the earthquake had never happened. The President, Governor, and other officials have no clue of how this could have happened. We’ll have more information in an hour. Back to you Jim.”
Buffy and Dawn looked at one another, not really knowing what to think. Their lives have taken on a much calmer pace. The reappearance of their former home could change everything.
“What are you going to do?” Dawn asked, fear of the answer was clear in her voice. She had enjoyed this semi-normal lifestyle that her and Buffy had found. She didn’t have to worry about vampires and demons at every turn like she did in Sunnydale. The creatures of the night in Covington stuck to the more ran down side of town. As long as she stayed away from those areas she was fine. The only danger to her at night was of the human kind. She didn’t want to lose that. She didn’t want to go back to jumping at every little thing that went bump in the night. She just wanted to be a regular girl.
Before Buffy could answer the question, the shrill ring of the telephone shattered the uncomfortable silence. Buffy sighed. Suddenly, she felt very tired. She didn’t know how to answer Dawn’s question. She didn’t want to go back to Sunnydale either, but if she was needed…she just couldn’t refuse. Fighting evil was a part of her. She just couldn’t turn her back on it.
“We’ll see,” was all she could say as she got up to answer the phone. “Summer’s residence.”
“Buffy! Hurry, turn it to CNN,,,” Willow’s voice came through the line, loud and clear. She seemed to be full of both excitement and fear.
“I already know, Will,” Buffy glanced back at the screen. “The hell mouth seems to be back in business.”
:What do you want to do about this, Buffy? I mean the girls are eager to check this out…but…”
“Listen, just come down here to Covington and we’ll discuss it then. I’m not saying I’m in…but I’m not saying nay either.”
“Ok. We’ll see you tomorrow then,” Willow sounded a bit distracted as there was a loud crash in the background. “I better go before they tear the place down. See ya.”
“Bye,” Buffy hung up. She turned back to Dawn to find the teenager gone. She must have gotten upset and left.

As Buffy turned off the blaring television and stared out the window, her thoughts turned to Spike. She hadn’t really thought about him in months. Every time she did think about him, she felt as if someone was pulling out her heart. He had made such a big sacrifice, his life for the worlds. It had all been for her. His love for her was what had motivated him to become a champion, and in the end, he didn’t even believe her when she had finally confessed her true feelings. Hmmm…maybe he did believe her. Buffy closed her eyes as she thought about their last moments together. She had never felt so helpless as he insisted on staying, even as the cavern began shaking apart. The look in his eyes as she held his hand…even when it had caught on fire was something she would never forget. His eyes were so full of awe and love.
Tears welled up in Buffy’s eyes as she looked at the town that had destroyed the one person who had always believed in her, no matter what. Looking at the godforsaken town, solid and whole, she knew that Spike’s sacrifice was for nothing. The hell mouth was back, despite Spike’s attempt to close it for good.
~*~

Los Angeles, California
Office of Wolfram and Heart
Spike stared at the television screen, his face revealing none of the inner turmoil going on inside him at that moment. It was back. The bloody town was back, which meant that the hell mouth was open once again. His sacrifice had been for nothing. He had died, or something like it, to give Buffy and Dawn the normal life that they deserved and now all of that was threatened. When it’s found out that Sunnyhell stood once more, Giles and the rest of the scoobs will send for Buffy, thrusting her back into the life she had once tried so hard to escape.
Well he wasn’t going to let that happen. He had saved Buffy from her calling and he will continue to do so. Even if it meant his own death…again.
“I think we should head to Sunnydale and investigate. This cannot be good,” he got to his feet and lit up another cigarette, hoping that the toxins would calm his already frazzled nerves.
“I agree,” Angel flipped the tv off. “We have to find a way to close it again, before it becomes the monster free for all it once was before the apocalypse.”
“And if it does? I mean, why does this concern us?” Gunn asked, looking at both Angel and Spike. It was then he finally knew. It wasn’t for them. It was for her. Buffy the vampire slayer. They wanted to keep her as safe as possible. But the news was on CNN. Most likely she’s already seen it and was already on her way back to California.
“It has everything to do with us,” Angel snorted. “I’m leaving tonight. Anyone with me meet me at the hyperion. Anyone against me…I’ll see you when I get back.”
“I’m in,” Fred raised her hand.
“Count me in too,” Wesley stepped forward, eager to get out of LA for a while. Hopefully this trip to Sunnydale would clear his head about his position in Wolfram an Hart.
“Hey, don’t want to miss all the action,” Gunn shrugged.
:”Sweet Cheeks, don’t count me out,” Lorne nodded.
“Spike?” Angel turned to the other vampire. He couldn’t help but to consider Spike his rival. Things were better between himself and his grandchilde, but there was the issue of a certain slayer that would always come between them.
“Don’t be a bloody pillock. You know I’m coming. It was my idea after all,” Spike rolled his eyes at the question.
“Just be ready when we leave,” Angel growled, before disappearing into his office. He picked up the mug of blood he had forgotten from that morning and sipped it as he thought about Buffy and their last conversations…
Six months earlier
“Why Europe?” Angel frowned, a bit hurt that she wasn’t staying in LA. He had hoped that he could help her stop baking; but obviously she had other plans.
“I need to be away for a while,” Buffy sighed, her voice was full of exhaustion, stress, and grief. “I need to put an ocean between myself and California right now. Besides, I promised Dawn I’d show her the world. There’s no better time then the present. This isn’t good-bye forever Angel. Just for maybe a couple of months…or more.”
“I understand,” Angel bowed his head, unable to look her in the eye as they said good-bye to each other once again. “Are you…what are your plans after Europe?”
Buffy smiled, her eyes sad, but her smile serene. “Ordinary life sounds good. No slaying, no research. School for Dawn, a regular paying job for me.”
Angel could only nod in understanding. She was heading for something he had always wanted for her and it make him a little happy that she was now able to achieve it. “Good luck,” he hugged her tightly, knowing that it may be for the last time.
And then she was gone. Not to be seen or heard from again. Angel was a bit hurt that she seemed to have forgotten him so easily, but then again, a vampire friend didn’t really fit into the category of ordinary life. Buffy deserved the life where she didn’t have to worry about supernatural affairs any longer. As far as he was concerned, there was no reason to let her know of Sunnydale’s return. He was going to make sure that she had the life she’s always wanted. Even if it meant taking care of the hell mouth himself.

~*~
Cleveland, Ohio
Hell Mouth#2
Inside a old mansion on top of a hill, just on the outskirts of town, the noise of girls shouting and laughter rang through the building. The old building was now the new slayer training center, ran by Willow, Xander, and Faith. So far they had six girls, all being trained to go out and beat back the forces of darkness. But right now those same girls weren’t fighting vampires and other creatures of the night; they were packing their bags for a road trip to a town called Covington, Kentucky to have a meeting with the person who was ultimately responsible for their slayer hood. The eldest slayer to ever live…besides Faith of course. Buffy Summers. To say the young slayers were excited was an understatement. Faith and Buffy were both legends. It was a thrill meeting to Faith, and to finally meet the Slayer that predated their teacher…that was a dream come true.
“Is Buffy expecting all of us?” Xander asked, watching the giggling teenage girls carry their bags to the car. “I mean, she’s going to have enough room. Right?”
“She has plenty of room. She told me so herself,” Willow nodded. “Everything is taken care of.”
“”So B’s ready for all of this?” Faith stepped into the room, hefting a gym bag over her shoulder.
“Yes, she is,” Willow sighed, becoming irritated. It was like no one could believe that she had actually talked to Buffy. Sure it’s been months since they’ve heard from her, but the idea wasn’t entirely foreign. “Is everyone ready? It’s time to go!” Willow called out to the small group of girls gathering around the van.
“I have five more bags,” a worried voice from inside called..
“Reese, you only need two. Now get down here! It’s time to roll!” Faith stepped back into the house, real irritation in her voice. Sometimes she had to remember that the new slayers were still kids. They didn’t have all the experience yet that her and Buffy had acquired. To them, there was still nothing more important then wearing the right outfit or the right hairstyle.
Willow took one last look at the place she had come to think of as home. It had been a year of settling down and adjustments. There had been times when she felt like giving up. But she never did. She just remembered the giant feat that she had accomplished and kept going. Now she ran a successful slayer training center along with Xander and Faith. She had a home and a purpose in life. Silently she wondered if she’d ever see the building again. After Faith and a sixteen year old blond came out and went to the van, Willow locked the door and hoped for the best. Whatever was going on with Sunnydale’s return, she was almost positive that the old Scooby gang could solve it in record time.
~*~
London, England

Rupert Giles rubbed his eyes once again as he hung up the phone. He looked at the wall of his new office, unable to believe the news that he had just received from the States. The California hell mouth had returned. Sunnydale stood once more.
“Bloody hell,” he cursed as the ring of the phone disrupted his troubled musings. “Watchers Council Headquarters.”
“Giles?” Her voice was a cool balm to his frazzled nerves. It’s been a year since he saw her last and to hear from her now…it meant more to him then the world.
“Buffy. Thank God you called. I just heard the news.”
Buffy was relieved. Giles could hear it in her voice. “What do you make of it? What would cause it to reopen? Do you think that the first had anything to do with it?”
“I can’t be for sure, but I’m looking into it as we speak. Giles…can you come? Please? I need you here. I’ve already talked to Will and Xander. They’re on the way. We’re gong to talk about investigating.”
“Buffy…I really don’t think that’s wise…”
“Will then come here and tell us it’s not wise. Giles…we need you. I need you.”
He sighed. Only a few times had he been able to say no to his slayer. This was not one of those times. Buffy needed him once again, so it’s by her side he will be. “Just tell me where to go and I’m there.”
Inwardly, he wondered what they were all getting themselves into. This was dangerous and anything could be waiting for them; but it was with Buffy he belonged, helping beat back whatever new evil may have risen, if any.
Rubbing his glasses with a white handkerchief, Giles picked up the phone and made arrangements for the next early flight to Cincinnati, Ohio. From there, he will drive to the small suburb of Covington, Kentucky and join the debate of what to do about Sunnydale.