Author's Chapter Notes:
To clear up any confusion, Buffy and Spike have had no sexual relationship, although they did share that oh-so-intense OMWF kiss. Everything else is right on track, such as Xander leaving Anya at the alter. Enjoy!
“Fifteen down, only six more to go...” Buffy found herself spending yet another night searching for the nerd brigade. After her day of invisibility, Buffy decided the trio was annoying enough to warrant some patrol time. She had asked Willow to put together a list of newly rented homes. Buffy knew Warren, Jonathan, and Andrew were trying to stay hidden, but in a place like Sunnydale, the rent-free hide-outs were already taken by hellmouth beasties. Willow came through as always, putting her computer skills to good use, not even mentioning how much time a simple locator spell could save. She’s doing a lot better with the whole cold-turkey thing. Have I told her so lately? Hmmm. Note to self: Willow gets a cookie when I get home.

Buffy shook her head, forcing herself to concentrate on the task at hand. She had started her search for the trio with the rentals nearest to her house, and was steadily working her way across town. The next address on the list led her to the bad part of town (not too far from the good part) and into a sparsely lit alley. A couple cars were parked along the curb and the alley’s pothole ridden road was littered with old newspaper and discarded fast food wrappings. The small houses on the alley were in bad shape: many had shingles missing from the roofs, one had a broken window ‘fixed’ with a garbage bag and duct tape, another had the front door off its hinges and propped up against the entryway.

Buffy stopped in front of one of the mistreated homes. She looked at her list again, double checking the address. “This is the place,” she confirmed. Buffy approached the side of the house, peering through a dirty window to the interior. The place was completely dark. If those guys are staying here, they’re saving a hell of a lot on their electric bill. Shining her flashlight through the window, Buffy scanned what seemed to be the living room. Nothing special, just some worn-out furniture in need of a feather duster. The place looked as if it had been unoccupied for quite some time, which raised Buffy’s suspicions. Why would someone rent a place and not live in it? Besides the fact that it’s a massive pile of crap. Unknown to Buffy, the renters weren’t interested in the living area. They were there for the basement.

“We’ve got trouble!” exclaimed Jonathan, pointing frantically at one of the many monitors providing surveillance of the area surrounding the house.

Warren and Andrew rushed over to see the Slayer snooping around the perimeter of their hide-out. “It’s ok fellas,” said Warren. He calmly turned his attention to Andrew before continuing, “It’s time to carry out the next phase of our operation. Andrew, why don’t you ask your new friend to greet the Slayer.”

Andrew nodded, attempting an evil smirk. He failed miserably, looking as if he was constipated rather than frightening. Ignoring the strange looks he got from his fellow evil-doers, Andrew reached behind a pile of junk and retrieved a long, wooden tube with mystical symbols burned into the wood. Andrew sat down, leaning the strange instrument on the floor and bringing the other end to his lips. A deep vibration emitted from the device, filling the basement with sound and signaling Buffy’s next challenge to come forth.

Buffy had made her way to the front of the home, ready to do a little searching inside. Suddenly, a greyish, waxy demon leaped down, seemingly out of nowhere, blocking Buffy’s entry. Buffy took a step back, “Oh. Hi. You didn’t by chance just eat a couple nerds, did ya?”

Buffy’s quip didn’t distract the demon in the least. It lunged toward her at full speed. Buffy retaliated, throwing her fists against its head before it kicked her up against a car parked across from the house. The demon slammed its foot against her abdomen, causing Buffy to double over. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a group of garbage cans just to her left. Still leaning over from the blow to her stomach, Buffy tumbled down and rolled toward the garbage cans. Resourceful as ever, she grabbed the closest can, lifting it over her head and crushing it on the demon’s skull. It stumbled backwards in pain, but quickly recovered and came back for more as Buffy lifted the garbage can up for a repeat strike. This time, the demon blocked her attempt, sending the can crashing to the street, and landing another fierce kick to Buffy’s mid-section.

The demon threw a punch at her face, but Buffy ducked, spinning around behind it. Taking advantage of her position, Buffy grabbed the demon and ran its head and shoulders into the car’s driver side window. Unknown to Buffy, at that instant the demon produced a long, sharp stinger from the top of its right hand. Buffy pulled the demon from the shattered window and delivered a swift kick to its face, followed by an attempt at another punch to its jaw. However, the demon managed to counter the blow, grabbing Buffy and twisting her around in its arms until Buffy was trapped with her back against the demon. Seconds later, a struggling Buffy cried out, feeling a sharp pain in her upper arm as the demon sank its stinger deep into her muscle.

Buffy felt something cold traveling inside her skin. The alley began spinning and she felt the demon release its grasp. She fell against the car behind her, barely clinging to consciousness. It drugged me! That son of a... Then, all she saw was darkness.

A few hours later, Buffy opened her eyes and found herself lying on the street, just a couple feet from the car. I must have blacked out. She stood up and surveyed the area, searching for any sign of her demon attacker. Strange, you’d think he’d want to hang around to kill me... or at least brag a little.

Convinced that the demon had split, she began wiping the dirt and road dust from her clothes, and noticed the small puncture through her leather jacket and into her arm. Damn! That’s my second jacket this week! This job is way too hard on my wardrobe. She removed the damaged outerwear and took a closer look at her wound. No big, she thought as she put her jacket back on, turning towards home, I’ll be good as new in the morning.