Author's Chapter Notes:
Reviews are welcome and thanks songgal for your reviews and interest.
Chapter 10:The Bridge of Khazad dum

Disclaimer: Me: Hey, Joss and Tolkien! Do I own Buffy or LOTR?
Joss and Tolkien: No.
Me: Didn’t think so

The doors burst open and dozens of growling, snarling Orcs charged into the room ready to kill the intruders. The Fellowship charged into the fray, well except for Andrew who hid behind Dawn. Angel and Lindsey started slashing through the Orcs with their swords, Xander launched at them with his axes, Willow sent her magic arrows turning some of them to stone and Buffy led the Hobbits in a charge.

An Orc charged Angel, but he easily behead it, spewing black blood on Angel’s sword. Andrew ran towards the entrance of the chamber, only to see a huge troll on a chain smashing through the doors. Willow fired a fire arrow into the troll’s shoulder, but its massive hand put out the fires and swatted Willow away. The beast looked down and saw Andrew, it swung its mace down, narrowly missing the hobbit. Andrew jumped between the troll’s legs, but the troll saw him and cornered him. It was about to stomp him when Angel and Lindsey yanked on its chain, it turned and whips Lindsey with the chain across the room. Lindsey looked up and saw an Orc standing over him with a dagger in hand. Angel saw the Orc out of the corner of his eye and threw a knife into the Orc’s neck.

The troll lumbered forward and swung at Xander, hitting Jesse’s tomb and knocking the Dwarf down. The troll continued swinging at Xander, but it kept missing him and hitting the Orcs. The troll grabbed Xander and was about to crush him when Willow sent two arrows into its head. The troll retaliated on the Elf by swinging its chain at her, but Willow jumped onto its head and shot an arrow into the back of its neck.

“I think I’m getting the hang of this.” Andrew said proudly, hitting Orcs on the head with a pan from his pack.

Buffy, Spike, and Dawn were cornered by the troll; it swung its mace and shattered the walkway as the hobbits jumped out off the way. Buffy hid behind a pillar from the troll, but it found her and lifted her into the air.

“Let go, Olaf!!” Buffy yelled, swinging Sting at the troll’s fingers allowing her to fall. The troll began to raise its mace, but Angel jumped in and stabbed it in the chest before it could swing. The infuriated troll, barely fazed by the spear, threw Angel across the room with a flick of the wrist. Buffy ran over to him, but he was knocked unconscious. She turned and saw the troll, having pulled the spear from its chest, pulled back and ran the spear into Buffy’s chest.

“BUFFY!” Spike and Dawn yelled in unison, seeing the spear and the look of pain on her face. The troll smiled as the Ring-bearer fell to the ground. The Fellowship stared in shock as Buffy gasped as the spear hit her.

“You bloody bastard!” Spike yelled as he jumped onto the troll’s back and began stabbing the monster’s head. The troll flailed its arms to try and reach Spike, but whenever it got close he sliced one of its finger. The rest of the Fellowship continued hacking and slashing at the troll as Spike continued stabbing, until Willow fired an arrow into its open mouth and into its brain, killing it. They looked around and saw that all the Orcs were either dead or ran away, and they all rushed to Buffy. Angel and Spike got there first, turning her over, seeing her gasping for breath. The spear hadn’t gone into her chest; she just got the wind knocked out of her. “Thank God you’re alive!” Spike said, so relieved he had tears in his eyes.

“I’m not injured, and I have no clue as to how.” Buffy said, looking around.

“That spear could’ve killed a horse, hell it could’ve killed 6 horses.” Angel said in disbelief.

“What’s that?” Spike asked seeing something glittering under her shirt. Buffy lifted her shirt to reveal the Mithril hit her mother gave her.

“Mithril, wow!” Xander said, amazed. “You never cease to amaze me Buff.” But their relief was short lived, clanging and snarling could be heard coming from another passage, more Orcs were coming.

“Come on, we must reach the Bridge of Khazad dum, it’s the only way out!” Giles said as they ran into the great hall. Dawn looked behind them, seeing that more Orcs were chasing them. They were coming out of the woodwork; they jumped out of cracks in the floor, they ran out of passageways, they even crawled out of the ceiling. In moments, the Fellowship was surrounded by hundreds of them, all growling and brandishing their swords and spears. As they closed in, a loud, deep rumbling was heard from somewhere in the chamber. A red light appeared, as the sound grew louder. The Orcs panicked and retreated as the red glowing came closer.

“What the hell is this?” Lindsey asked. Giles didn’t answer; he closed his eyes and gathered his courage, unwilling to accept what was coming.

“A Balrog, a demon of the ancient world.” Giles said grimly. Willow looked at Giles, horrified at the idea. “We cannot fight this thing, run!” The group ran away from the fiery glow that spread across the pillars, they hurried through a small doorway as the growling continued. They ran into a cavern, lit by fires deep beneath them with a stairway leading to the Bridge. “You need to lead them, Angel. The Bridge is near.” Giles said to Angel, earning a confused look from Angel. “Just do it!”

They ran down a flight of stairs, the roaring of the unseen Balrog resonating through the cavern. They were halfway down the stairs when they came to a part where a section of the stairs was missing. Willow jumped across the gap with ease, but as she landed an arrow hit the side of the stairs. They looked up and saw Orc bowmen shooting at them. As Giles jumped, Willow took out her bow and fired an arrow right between an Orc’s eyes. The Orcs kept firing; when one was killed another took its place. Lindsey, with Dawn and Andrew in his arms, jumped next, almost being hit by an Orc arrow. Angel was about to throw Spike across the gap, but the headstrong hobbit jumped it without a thought. Angel turned and tried to pick up Xander, but he also refused.

“Nobody tosses this Dwarf!” Xander said, jumping and nearly missing. Angel and Buffy were the only ones left. They prepared to jump, but the smashing and rumblings of the Balrog had released a large boulder and it knocked more stairs off. The gap now stood at least 30 feet across. The Balrog’s smashing sent another rock that broke the stairs behind Angel and Buffy, the section they stood on wobbled over the abyss below. Angel took Buffy in his arms and leaned forward as the stairs fell forward, they jumped into the waiting arms of the Fellowship and continued running.

“Everyone, over the Bridge! Hurry!” Giles ordered. Giles turned and saw a huge wall of fire behind him, and then he saw the Balrog itself. The giant creature leapt through the fire, shrouded in shadow, ash and smoke, large horns curved around its head, fire bursting through its skin. Giles ran after the Fellowship, the Balrog hot on his heels. They got to the Bridge, a narrow stone bridge barely two feet wide, as the demon arrived. Giles turned to face the monster once everyone else had made it across.

“You cannot pass!” Giles said, raising his staff and sword. The Balrog spread its wings and stretched its arms, releasing a burst of flame from its body. The light from his staff brightened, encircling the wizard in a ball of light. “I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun!” The ancient evil formed a fiery sword in its hand and swung down on Giles. The Balrog’s sword shattered on the light from the wizard’s staff, it roared violently. “Go back to the Shadow!” The Balrog would not be denied; it formed a whip of flames, snapping it against the stone ledge. “YOU SHALL NOT PASS!” With the last of his strength, Giles drove his staff into the bridge as the demon stepped on it, causing it to collapse beneath its feet. As Giles turned, the demon’s whip lassoed around Giles leg an pulled him off the Bridge.

“GIIIIIIIIIIILLLEEEEEES!” Buffy shouted as Angel held her back. Giles grabbed at the edge of the Bridge, but he couldn’t hold on. He looked at Buffy and said one final message.

“You’ve made me so proud.” Giles said almost whispering, letting go of the Bridge. The Fellowship watched in shock and horror as Giles fell into abyss and out of sight.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Buffy screamed, her body wracked with pain at loosing the closest thing to a father she’d ever had. The Fellowship ran out into the bright day, each in a state of shock and sorrow. Dawn and Andrew just held each other as they cried, Spike sat stunned that Giles wasn’t there any more. Lindsey held Xander back from rushing back into Moria and kill the Orcs. Willow never really thought about death since she was an Elf but now that she’d seen it was like she couldn’t breathe. Angel never expected this to happen but as the new leader of the group he had to be strong.

“Willow, get Andrew and Dawn up, we need to get going.” Angel said to the Elf.

“Give them a minute to grieve, they just lost someone they loved for God’s sake!” Lindsey said, angry at Angel’s callousness to their sadness.

“By sundown this place will be swarming with Orcs, we have to get to Lothlorien before then. The Elves there will help us.” Willow coaxed Dawn and Andrew to their feet, hugging both of them tight. Angel saw Spike was already standing, but deep sadness shown in his eyes. But where was Buffy? Angel looked around frantically, and saw Buffy standing own the hill facing away from the group.

“Buffy?” Angel called, seeing her. Buffy stood there, tears running down her face. It was like loosing her father; she had lost the one of the few people who believed she could do this. She felt like the whole world was falling down. Giles was gone and a little part of her died with him.