Author's Chapter Notes:
One more chapter to go and it’s over.
Chapter 12: The Great River
Disclaimer: I own nothing.

Dawn broke over Isengard; the Orcs still slaving away preparing Ethan’s army.

“Do you know how the Orcs first came into being?” Ethan asked the first and strongest specimen of his new breed of Orc. “They were Elves once, taken by the dark powers. Tortured and mutilated.” The creature grinned at the thought. “A ruined and terrible form of life that, thanks to me is now perfected. You are my fighting Uruk Hai, and you are to be my general.”

Ethan raised his staff and began to give his great soldier a pair of huge horns and enlarged his muscles. “You are now called the Beast, who do you serve?”

“Ethan Rayne!” The Beast roared, as Ethan led him back to the rest of the Uruk Hai. The others were armed and branded with the symbol of Ethan’s White Hand, and assembled before their master.

“Hunt them down! Don’t stop until they’re found! You don’t know pain and you don’t know fear. You will taste man-flesh!” Ethan said, addressing the horde of evil monsters, who all roared in approval. He turned to his appointed general, the Beast and whispered. “One of the Hobbits has something very valuable to me. Bring any Hobbits you find to me, alive and unspoiled. Anyone else you can kill, just make it painful.” The wizard said with relish. The Beast led a troop of a hundred Uruk Hai out of Isengard and began their search.

As the sun rose in the sky over Lothlorien, the Fellowship began preparations to leave. Tara had called them together to present them with some parting gifts.

“These cloaks are some of the finest ever made by Elves, may they shield you from unfriendly eyes.” Tara said, as the Fellowship put them on.

“These are the daggers of the Noldorin,” Tara said, handing them to Dawn and Andrew “This isn’t the first time they’ve seen war. Don’t be afraid, you will find your courage.”

“For you Spike, Elven rope made from hithlain.” Tara said, handing Spike the rope.

“Uh…thanks. You wouldn’t happen to have any of those shiny daggers left, do ya?” Spike asked, receiving a smirk from Tara and a slap on the back of the head from Buffy.

“Buffy, I give you the light of Earendil, our most beloved star.” Tara said, handing her a small vial of clear glowing liquid. “May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

“I have nothing greater to give, than the gift you’ve already been given.” Tara said to Angel, looking at the Evenstar pendent around his neck. “I’m afraid, for her love Cordelia’s grace will diminish.”

“I’d have her leave, and be with her people. I’d have her packed and on a ship to Valinor.” Angel said.

“That’s her choice to make. You have a choice to make to Angel, you can rise above all your predecessors since the days of Richard Wilkins or fall into the rising darkness with all that remains of your kin.” Tara put a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Goodbye, we won’t meet again, Elessar.” Angel turned to join the rest of the Fellowship, but Doyle stopped him.

“Listen Angel, your gonna run into some real trouble further down river.” Doyle said, pulling Angel aside. “The eastern side of the river is crawling with Mordor Orcs and the west shore isn’t much better. We’ve had sightings of strange Orc-like creatures bearing the mark of the White Hand of that Rayne bastard. For the most part, Orcs aren’t terribly fond of going out in the sun, but it doesn’t affect these things.” Doyle pulled out an Elven dagger and gave it to him. “You’re being followed, watch out.”

“Goodbye Willow,” Tara said to her fellow Elven witch, presenting her with a bow. “I want you to have this Galadhrim bow. Once this is over, I want you to return here. I have a lot to show you.”

“Thank you, and I will.” Willow said giddily, blushing furiously.

The Fellowship was led to the docks on the river Anduin. They were given three boats, each stocked with provisions.

“Ooh, lembas!” Willow said holding a piece of bread. “Elvish way-bread. One little nibble is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man, or a large dwarf.

“Uh oh.” Andrew said, leaning over the edge of the boat and vomiting.

“You should’ve said that before he ate four loaves.” Dawn said, making a face.

The Fellowship began rowing down the river, the Elves of Lothlorien all there to wish them bon voyage. They floated down the river till nightfall, when they made camp on a small island of land in the river. Lindsey and Angel watched as a rotted log floated down the stream, a small pair of hands clutching it.

“Gollum.” Angel said turning to Lindsey. “He’s been following us since Moria. I hoped we could lose him on the river, but he’s more clever than I thought.”

“What if he leads the enemy to us? It’ll make this even more dangerous.” Lindsey said, as the log ran ashore, Gollum nowhere in sight. “Minas Tirith is the safer way, and you know it. We can regroup there and then go to Mordor with more strength.”

“No, there’s no strength in Gondor that can help us.” Angel said shortly.

“You trusted the Elves but not your own people?” Lindsey asked, becoming more and more frustrated with this ranger. Cause that’s all he was, a ranger. He and his father were the ones who had the courage to lead Gondor. “Yeah there’s weakness in humanity, but there’s courage to. You just don’t want to see it! You’re afraid of who you are!”

“I’m not taking the Ring within a hundred miles of your precious city!” Angel said angrily, walking away from Lindsey. Buffy sat on the other side of the camp, her thoughts a mish mash of guilt and anxiety. She felt the weight of the conversation between the two men on her mind; she remembered that Tara said that the Fellowship was breaking and the Ring would try to destroy them all. She was putting them all in danger, as long as they stayed with her they were at risk. Giles died because he came with her. She should have gone by herself.

“Have something to eat, luv.” Spike said, jolting her back to reality.

“No thanks Spike.” Buffy said, turning away.

“Buffy, you haven’t eaten anything since we left Lothlorien, and you haven’t been sleeping since Moria.”

“I’m fine.” Buffy said turning away.

“No you’re not, pet. You kissed me last night.”

“Spike, when I kissed you…you know I was thinking about Giles.”

“I always wondered about you two.” Spike said, trying to joke.

“Gross Spike; I was depressed and vulnerable, ergo bad kissing decisions. I’m sorry if you thought it meant more.”

“ It’s not that, I know that you weren’t in the right mind when we kissed. That’s what I want to talk to you about. You can’t keep punishing yourself, Buffy this isn’t your fault. You can talk to me; I’m here to help you.” Spike said, imploringly.

“You can’t help me, Spike. Leave me alone.” Buffy said, lying down. Spike sighed and left Buffy to a sleepless night. The next day they continued down the river, until suddenly they came upon one of the most breathtaking sights in Middle Earth; the Argonath. Two colossal statues on either side of the canyon, representing Gondor’s kings Riley and Forrest. The awe-inspiring sight was beyond anything the members of the Fellowship had ever seen. They came ashore down the river from the statues, just up stream from a huge waterfall.

“We cross the river tonight. We’ll hide the boats and continue on foot to Mordor from the northern side.” Angel said to the group.

“Oh really?” Xander asked, sarcastically. “Just a little trouble of getting through Emyn Muil, a huge maze of razor sharp rocks. And after that little walk, it gets even better! We get to hike through stinky marshes as far as the eye can see. We should do these little trips more often.”

“That’s the plan.” Angel said, glaring at the Dwarf.

“We should go now.” Willow said urgently to Angel.

“No, Orcs patrol the eastern shore, we’ll need the cover of darkness.”

“It’s not what’s on the east shore that bothers me. Since we left Lothlorien I’ve had the feeling that we’re being watched or followed. Something’s coming Angel, I feel it.”

“Where’s Buffy?” Andrew asked looking around. The rest of the Fellowship looked around alarmed. Angel looked and saw that Lindsey was also nowhere to be seen. Spike jumped up and ran into the woods, looking around frantically for Buffy. Some distance away, Buffy walked past the ruins of an old structure. She thought about everything that happened since they left, but was startled by the sound of footsteps. She whirled around and saw Lindsey gathering firewood.

“You shouldn’t go off alone, especially you.” Lindsey said, noticing her expression. “Are you alright, Buffy?” Buffy looked at the ground. “I know why you wanna be alone. You’re suffering, I see it all the time.”

“Yeah.” Buffy said, as she continues walking.

“Do you think that maybe you’re going through this for no reason?” Lindsey asked walking after her. “There are other options, Buffy.”

“I know what you’re thinking, Lindsey, and I’d say it was the right idea except the warning in the back of my mind.”

“Warning against what?”

“Against taking the easy way out.”

“We’re all scared, Buffy. But we’re letting that fear control us. The Ring is our only hope, and our fear is making us get rid of it. Don’t you see how crazy that is?”

“There’s no other way.”

“I only want to be able to protect my home and people!” Lindsey said, throwing the wood down in frustration. “I know what Giles and Lorne said; that the Ring will corrupt its bearer, but you’ve had the Ring since this all started and you haven’t turned evil. Please Buffy, at least let me try my plan. Let me borrow the Ring.”

“No.” She said, backing away.

“Why are running away? I’m not a thief.”

“You’re not yourself, Lindsey.” Buffy said, still putting distance between them.

“What chance do you think you have?” Lindsey asked in a cold harsh voice. “They’ll find you and take the Ring! And you’ll beg them to let you die before they kill you!”

“I think I should go.” Buffy said turning away.

“You stupid bitch!” Lindsey spat out, running after her. “You only have it by some accident. It could’ve been mine! It SHOULD be mine! Give it to me!” He yelled lunging at her. He wrestled her to the ground and tried to grab the Ring. “Give it to me!

“Get off!” Buffy screamed, clutching the Ring in her hand and hitting him with the other.

“Give it to me!”

“No!

“GIVE IT TO ME!” Lindsey shouted, but as they struggled Buffy vanished. He looked around for a second, and received a punch in the groin. He looked around for any sign of movement. “So that’s it! You’re taking the Ring to Sauron! You’ll sell us out! You traitorous bitch! I’ll kill you if I ever get my hands on you!” he screamed as he tripped. The fall knocked him out of his temporary insanity. “Buffy! What have I done? Buffy! Buffy come back! I’m sorry! Buffy!” but the Hobbit was long gone.

Buffy ran to the top of the old ruins of Amon Hen with the Ring on her finger. She got to the top and looked and saw the evil spread. She saw the mountains crawling with Orcs, she saw Isengard preparing for war. She saw smoke rising from the Elf realms to the north, and evil men allied with Mordor attacking the southern lands. Then she had a vision of the great dark land of Mordor; she saw the huge volcano, Mount Doom and the countless evil things that inhabited the land. And finally she saw a colossal fortress, the Dark Tower of Barad Dur. It was at least ten times the size of the statues they saw earlier; suddenly she saw the summit of the tower and came face to face with the Eye of Sauron.

“So, you seek to defeat me?” An evil voice asked, apparently coming from the Eye.

“We’re going to defeat you.” Buffy said, but her fear didn’t le her sound convincing.

“What, you think you can use my Ring against me?” It asked, laughing maliciously. “None can wield the power of the Ring, except me. You’ll fail, little Hobbit. You’ll fail and I will overrun this earth. The blood of the world will be on your hands, think about that when my servants are torturing your friends.”

“There’s only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, and that’s us!” Buffy said indignantly, taking the Ring off. She came back to the real world, making her slip and fall to the ground.

“Buffy?” Came a voice from behind her. She looked around and saw Angel.

“The Ring’s taken over Lindsey.” She said standing up.

“Where’s the Ring?!” Angel asked walking towards her.

“Stay back!” Buffy said, pulling out Sting.

“Buffy,” Angel said, holding up his hands in surrender. “I swore I’d protect you no matter what.”

“Can you protect me from yourself?” Buffy asked, showing him the Ring. “Would you destroy it?” Angel walked towards her, his eyes glued to the Ring. He reached for her hand, and closed it. He pushed it back to her.

“You’re going on alone, aren’t you?” Angel asked, already knowing the answer.

“I can’t risk anyone else I care about.” Buffy said sadly, but resigned to her decision.

“I would’ve followed you to the end, even if I didn’t make it.” He said sincerely.

“I know. Take care of my friends and my sister. And keep an eye on Spike, he’ll kill me for this.” Buffy hugged Angel, he kissed the top of her head and stood.

“Go Buffy!” Angel said, drawing his sword. Buffy looked confused, but then saw the blade of her scythe glow. Orcs were near by. “Run Buffy, now!” She ran off in the other direction, while Angel turned to face the Beast and his Uruk Hai.