Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the end of the Fellowship of the Ring, look for the Two Towers soon.
Chapter 13: The Breaking of the Fellowship
Disclaimer: My last name isn’t Whedon or Tolkien, ergo I don’t own LOTR or Buffy.
(Uruk Hai are a type of Orcs, incase you aren’t familiar with LOTR)

Angel raised his sword as the Uruk Hai charged, a smirk on his face as he cut the first two down. They outnumbered him at least 10 to 1, they forced him up the stairs of the ruins. He hacked and slashed through the Orcs as they came up after him.

“FIND THE HOBBIT!” The Beast ordered his troops. “FIND THE HOBBIT!” The other Orcs began running to search for the woods for Buffy, but Angel dove from the ruins and sent many tumbling to the ground. Willow and Xander, hearing the commotion, join the fight. Willow killed several of the foul monsters with her quick bow-work while Xander landed blow after blow on them with his axes. Buffy ran through the trees, thus far being able to evade the Uruk Hai. She hid behind a tree as they ran past her; she looked and saw Andrew and Dawn hiding under some fallen trees, beckoning to her.

“Buffy, hide here quick!” Andrew called. Buffy shook her head slowly, looking Dawn in the eyes. “What’s she doing?”

“She’s leaving.” Dawn said, seeing the anguish in her sibling’s eyes.

“What?! No!” Andrew exclaimed, jumping from the hiding place.

“Andrew!” Dawn said, trying to pull him back. The two Hobbits looked up the hill and saw several Uruk Hai running towards them. Dawn decided to give her sister a chance to get away by distracting them. “Run, Buffy! HEY YOU, OVER HERE YA STINKY BASTARDS!”

“YEAH, I’VE SEEN FLOWERS SCARIER THAN YOU!” Andrew shouted, joining in. The two ran away, the Uruks chasing them, letting Buffy run the opposite direction. “It’s working!”

“I know it’s working, now RUN!” Dawn ordered as the creatures gained on them. The battle rages back on the hill; Angel, Willow and Xander continue to fight the Uruk Hai. Willow, in one quick move, stabs one with an arrow then fires it into another. Angel and Xander continue their sword and axe work and take out more off them. Dawn and Andrew ran across a stone bridge only to see more Uruk Hai coming towards them; they were coming from behind and in front of them, they were trapped. An Uruk with a huge axe charges them and prepares to swing, but Lindsey takes him out. Lindsey fended off the Orcs, but more were closing in.

“Run!” Lindsey ordered as he killed another Uruk. Willow continued to fire her bow, killing a dozen Uruk Hai in two minutes, including the one that had Angel cornered. They looked around and saw most of the Uruk Hai were nowhere to be seen, they looked around and heard a horn blowing from the direction they saw the Orcs running.

“That’s a Horn of Gondor!” Willow said, as they began running after the monsters.

“Lindsey must be in trouble.” Angel said as they fought through the Uruks towards Lindsey and the Hobbits. Lindsey stood before Dawn and Andrew, fighting Orc after Orc that tried to reach the Hobbits. A few Uruks who weren’t quite dead tried to get Lindsey from behind, but Dawn and Andrew killed them with the daggers Tara gave them. The Uruk Hai continued to charge at the three members of the Fellowship, the Beast watching all the while. The Hobbits began to throw rocks at the Orcs, knocking a few down but they kept coming. The Beast, tired of this inconvenience, took out his bow and fired an arrow into Lindsey’s left shoulder. Lindsey gasped and fell to his knees as the bolt entered, the two Hobbits staring at him in shock. Lindsey summons his strength and continues fighting; the Beast wasn’t pleased and fired another arrow into his stomach. Lindsey fell again, looking at the bewildered Hobbits. They couldn’t take on a troop of these monsters, he couldn’t let them down, he had to protect them.

“No, you’re not taking them!” Lindsey growled through the pain, as he swung his sword into another Uruk Hai. The Beast took aim and fired one last shot into his chest, and this time Lindsey didn’t stand up again. Dawn and Andrew raised their daggers and charged the Uruk Hai, but were easily swept up and carry them away. They try to struggle but it’s no use against these evil creatures. The Beast walked up to Lindsey, who was obviously on death’s door.

“You failed, now you die.” The Beast chuckled as he raised his bow again. As he pulled the arrow back, Angel tackled him from behind sending him to the ground. The Beast was stronger than the others, almost like his body was made out of stone. The Beast threw Angel against a tree and threw his two-pronged shield at Angel, pinning him to the tree. The Beast took its sword and swung to chop off his opponent’s head, but Angel slipped out from under it as the sword connected. The Uruk Hai captain grabbed Angel by the neck, strangling him. Angel pulled out Doyle’s Elven dagger and stabbed it into the creature’s thigh. The Beast let Angel drop and pulled the knife out.

“You need not be my enemy.” The Beast said, licking the blood from the knife.

“I know, but you just really piss me off!” Angel said standing. The Beast threw the knife at him, but he batted it away with his sword. The Beast rushed him, pulling out a dagger that seemed to be carved from stone. Angel ran his sword through the Beast’s body, it just smirked at him and pulled the sword deeper. It swung at Angel with its stone knife; instinctively he grabbed it and plunged it into the Beast’s body, producing an agonizing roar. Angel pulled out the sword and swung it wide, severing the Beast’s head. Angel turned from the Beast’s carcass and ran to Lindsey. Lindsey looked pale and his breathing was becoming more and more shallow.

“They took Dawn and Andrew!” Lindsey sputtered as blood dripped from his mouth. “Where’s Buffy? Did they get her?”

“No, Buffy’s going alone.” Angel said, pulling him into a sitting position.

“I’m sorry. I tried to take the Ring from her. I’ve failed.” Lindsey said, beginning to slip away.

“No Lindsey, you fought bravely. You didn’t fail.” Angel said, trying to remove an arrow from Lindsey’s body.

“Leave it.” Lindsey said, pushing Angel’s hand away. “I’m a goner. Angel, it’s over. The world will end and everything I left behind will be gone.”

“I don’t know what strength I have in my veins, but I won’t let Minas Tirith or our people be destroyed.”

“Our people?” Lindsey asked, reaching for his sword. Angel placed the hilt of his sword into Lindsey’s hand. “Our people. I would’ve gone with you to the end, my king.” And he passed. Angel stood up, seeing Willow and Xander standing behind him, each deeply sad.

Buffy stood by the boats, the Ring in her hand and tears rolling down her cheeks. She was afraid to do this alone, but what choice did she have? If they stayed with her, they’d all die. It was better this way. She remembered her conversation with Giles in Moria.

“I wish my mom never found the Ring. I wish this whole thing never happened.”

“So do I, anyone who lived to see such times would wish the same but that’s not their decision. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”

Her mind was made up, she’d continue alone even if it killed her. She put the Ring in her pocket and began pushing a boat into the water. As she stepped into the boat, she felt a strong hand grasping her arm. She turned and came face to face with Spike.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Spike asked, his face hard and stern.

“I’m going to Mordor.” Buffy said, climbing into the boat. Spike jumped in after her. “Spike, go back, I’m going to Mordor alone.”

“Of course you are, and I’m coming with you.” Spike said, grabbing a paddle.

“Spike, you don’t know what you’re saying!” Buffy said, trying to take the ore from Spike.

“I know exactly what I’m saying, Buffy.” Spike said resolute. “I’m coming with you.”

“Spike, you’ll die! Giles died and Lindsey’s evil; if you come with me you’ll die, and I can’t lose anyone else I care about.” Buffy said, imploring him to leave.

“Knew you cared.” Spike said, holding her shoulders looking her in the eyes. “I promised you, Giles and myself that I’d stand by you no matter what and I intend to keep it. I know that you think that this is your fault, but it’s not! If it’s anyone’s fault it’s the bastard who made the Ring’s fault. I told you that I love you more times than I can count, I care about you more than you realize and I’m not going anywhere. I’m going with you, Buffy. Till the end of the world, even if that happens to be tonight.” Buffy looked into his eyes, and she knew he meant it. She pulled him into a tight hug, sniffling into his shoulder.

“Are you sure Spike?” Buffy asked, one last time.

“You couldn’t drag me away.” He said, his voice solid, his mind made up. “Now, let’s get goin’.” He said, breaking the hug and beginning to row.

Angel set Lindsey’s body into one of the boats and sent it floating down the river in a funeral act. As Angel watched the boat float over the falls, Willow and Xander started pushing the third boat into the water.

“Come on, Buffy and Spike are already on the other shore!” Xander called. “Anytime man!” Angel stood there, saying nothing.

“You mean we’re not going to follow them?” Willow asked, surprised.

“No, they’re fate isn’t in our hands anymore.” Angel said, putting on Lindsey’s gauntlets.

“Then it’s all been for nothing. Great! The Fellowship has failed.” Xander said, kicking a stone.

“No it hasn’t,” Angel said, putting a hand on their shoulders. “Not if we continue to fight evil. We won’t abandon Dawn and Andrew to torture and death, not while we have strength in our bodies. Leave everything that isn’t necessary, we travel light. Let’s hunt some Orc!” Angel said; running in the direction the Uruk Hai went. Willow and Xander looked at each other, and smirked.

“Sounds like a plan.” Xander said, as the two of them took off after Angel. Buffy and Spike hiked to the top of a hill overlooking the rocky slopes of Emyn Muil. In the far distance they see a mountain range shrouded in dark clouds, Mordor.

“Mordor, it’s a long way.” Buffy said, looking into the distance.

“Well maybe I underestimated how long it would take us. We’ll kick the Big Bad’s ass and be home around breakfast the next day instead of dinner.” Spike quipped, bringing a small smile to her face.

“I hope the others will be safe.” Buffy said.

“Don’t worry, King Broody will keep ‘em safe.” Spike said, standing next to her.

“We probably won’t see them again.” Buffy said, sadly.

“We may, Buffy. We’re a lot stronger than we look.”

“Spike.” Buffy said, looking into his eyes. “I’m glad you’re with me.” The two Hobbits climbed down the hill, to Mordor and to stop the apocalypse.

THE END