Chapter 6:Caritas

Buffy awoke from a nightmare to the searing pain from her stab wound, she felt like she was sitting in ice water but a red hot poker was stuck in her chest. She gasped and convulsed violently in Spike’s arms.

“Buffy?! Buffy?! Please luv, stay with me!” Spike pleaded before she lost consciousness in his arms. “Buffy?! She passed out and she’s cold! Help!” Spike said desperately to Strider.

“Is she going to die?” Andrew asked terrified.

“Worse, she’s passing into the Shadow world. If she doesn’t get the proper help she’ll become a wraith like them.” Strider said gravely. “Do any of you know what the Athelas plant is?”

“Yeah, Kingsfoil, I smoke it all the time.” Spike said hurriedly.

“It might help slow the poison, help me find some.” Strider paused as the scream of a Nazgul was heard in the distance. “And hurry!” Strider and Spike ran into the woods, leaving Dawn and Andrew to watch over Buffy. After a few minutes Strider found some of the plant, but as he began cutting it, he felt a sword blade pressed to his throat.

“A ranger caught off his guard? I’m disappointed.” Said a familiar female voice.

Buffy slowly regained consciousness and was greeted by the sight of a tall, beautiful woman with dark hair ride towards her. She dismounted her horse and leaned over the sick hobbit. “I’m here to help you, Buffy. I am Cordelia, follow my voice and come back to us.” Her words soothed Buffy a little bit, and the mashed Athelas made her wound feel better.

“Who’s she?” Dawn asked to no one in particular.

“I think she’s an Elf.” Andrew said, spellbound. “Just like the ones in Buffy’s mom’s stories, except, you know, they were mostly guys.”

“Oh God, we’re losing her. We need to get her to my dad.” Cordelia said as Strider put Buffy’s limp body onto her horse. “I’ve been looking for you guys for like three days! Five of the Nazgul are close by, I haven’t seen the other four.”

“Where are you taking her?!” Spike said, not knowing if this Elf girl could be trusted.

“I’m taking her to Caritas where they’ll be able to heal her.” Strider said to the irritable hobbit. “Stay with them Cordy, I’ll send horses back for you.”

“I’m a faster rider than you, I’ll go.” Cordy said as she mounted the horse and held onto Buffy.

“It’s to dangerous.” Strider said holding the horse back.

“And staying in the forest is safer?” Cordy asked sarcastically. “Look, she’s dying! If I can get her across the river the power of the Elves will protect her. I’m not scared of evil guys who can’t go out without their tacky cloaks.” She said, leaving no room for argument.

“Hurry, don’t look back.” Strider whispered, as Cordelia and Buffy rode off and disappeared into the woods.

“Are you off your bird?! Those wraiths are still out there!” Spike yelled, having just watched some Elf ride off with a dying Buffy.

“Cordy’s tougher than you’d believe, Spike.” Strider said, becoming increasingly annoyed by the blonde hobbit. “She has a better chance of getting her there then even I could. She’ll make it.”

Cordy rode through the trees as fast as her horse could go, looking over her shoulder for any sign of the Ringwraiths. She was already half way to Caritas, but her luck ran out as she looked and saw a flash of black behind a tree.

“Oh crap!” Cordelia said under her breath, indicated her horse to speed up. She looked around and saw that there were three Black Riders gaining on her, screaming their evil scream. Cordy rode between the trees, hoping to confuse and lose them. She managed to get two of them to run into a tree, but they quickly got back up, followed by three more. She rode into a patch of trees with low branches, hoping their cloaks would get caught, no such luck. After a few more attempts to lose them, Cordy was horrified to see all nine Nazgul were right behind her. Two rode right beside her and tried to grab at Buffy, Cordelia swiped a dagger at their hands and sped up. She finally rode through the river, the Nazgul right behind her. They rode up to the riverbank and pulled out their swords.

“Give us the Hobbit, Elf bitch!” commanded one of the Wraiths.

“You want her? Come get her!” Cordy said unsheathing her own sword. The Nazgul began to cross the river, and Cordelia began her trap. “Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen in Ulaer!” She chanted in Elvish, and the river answered. A huge wave rose from the river, and headed for the Ringwraiths. White horses seemed to appear in the wave as it crashed down on the nine Riders and washed them away. But the victory was short lived, Cordy looked at Buffy and saw her breathing had become gasps and her eyes stared into space. “No! No! Buffy, don’t give up! Not now!” Cordy felt a knot in her stomach as she whispered desperately. “What grace I have, let her have it. Spare her.”

After what seemed like an eternity, Buffy felt warmth and light again. She opened her eyes slowly; her vision still blurred, and noted the unfamiliar surroundings.

“Where am I?” Buffy asked herself.

“You’re in the House of Lorne,” said a familiar voice, she turned to see Giles sitting by the bed she was lying in. “And it is 10 o’ clock in the morning, on October the 24th if you want to know.”

“Giles?” Buffy asked, confused.

“Yes Buffy, it’s me. And you are very lucky to be here, a few more hours and you would’ve been beyond our help. You are so remarkably strong.”

“How long have I been asleep?” Buffy asked sitting up in the bed.

“You’ve been recuperating here for three days, but you weren’t alone.” Giles said pointing behind Buffy, she turned to see Spike, sitting next to the bed asleep. “Spike refused to leave your side once he got here. He held your hand, talked to you, hoping you’d wake up.” Buffy smiled, patting Spike on the shoulder to wake him up.

“Huh? Wha…BUFFY!” Spike screamed as he saw she was awake and embraced her for all he was worth. “Thank God you’re awake!”

“Well I’m glad to be awake Buffy myself. Oh man, do I have bed hair?” Buffy asked, hugging Spike back.

“You’re beautiful as ever, pet.” Spike said, as they pulled apart.

“Oh, I see our little patient is feeling better. Would you like anything, Sweetcakes?” asked a strange green person in a bright blue robe.

“Who’s that?” Buffy asked Giles and Spike.

“I’m Lorne, your humble host and Lord of Caritas. I must say you are a real fighter puddin’, not everyone can take a Morgul blade and stay looking fabulous.”

“Um… thanks.” Buffy said, not knowing what to say.

“You rest up Sugar, I’ll be seein’ ya.” Lorne said before leaving.

“Well, he’s… different.” Buffy said, after Lorne left.

“Yeah, but I still like him better than that Strider poof.” Spike said standing up. “I’m gonna go tell Andrew, Dawn and your mother you’re awake.”

“My mom’s here?” Buffy asked, excited at the prospect of seeing her mother again.

“Yes she is, she was here to while you were asleep.” Giles said standing to leave as well. It was all I could do to convince her to get some rest last night. If you’ll excuse me, I have some business to discuss with Lorne. It’s wonderful to see you’re alright, Buffy.”

“Great to see you to Giles, but why didn’t you meet us at the Hyperion?” Buffy asked, the thought had bothered her for a while now.

“Oh, I am sorry Buffy, I was delayed by a very serious matter.” Giles said, recalling his escape from Isengard

***Flashback to Giles and Ethan on the tower***

Giles’ body was wracked with pain from the torturous magic from Ethan Rayne. He had been thrown against the wall and floor, his flesh burned and his mind a haze.

“A friendship with Ethan Rayne isn’t the kind of thing you just walk away from, Rupert. You and me were always friends, so why can’t you see the truth?” Ethan asked as he threw a fireball at Giles, “The truth, old friend, is that there is no hope in fighting Sauron. He won’t be stopped, not by you, not by the Elves, not by Men, and certainly not by your little friend the Hobbit bitch.” He said as he suspended over the edge of the roof. “It’s over Ripper. You can be smart and embrace the power of the Ring; or you can be your stupid self and embrace your destruction.” Ethan said as he flung Giles face down on the floor.

“Ethan, you’re the one who can’t see the truth.” Giles said as he lifted his head up, noticing the large eagle flying towards Orthanc. “There is only one Lord of the Ring. Only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power!” He spit out as he jumped of the pinnacle of the tower and onto the Great Eagle Gwaihir’s back. Gwaihir flew away with Giles to freedom, leaving a furious Ethan at the tower.

“You had your chance Ripper. But I have to kill you now.” Ethan said gritting his teeth.

***Caritas***

“BUFFY!” Dawn and Andrew cried as they launched themselves at Buffy, smothering her in a huge hug. “I thought we lost you.” Dawn said, tears of joy welling up in her eyes.

“Don’t worry Dawn, I’m here now. Summers women are tough, remember?” Buffy said hugging her sister. “Mom?” Buffy said as Dawn pulled away, revealing their mother, Joyce Summers, looking a little older than the last time they saw her.

“Buffy!” Joyce cried as she ran as she ran and hugged her eldest daughter like there was no tomorrow. “I’m so glad you’re alright.” She said, with tears in her eyes.

“I’m fine Mom.” Buffy said, enjoying the feeling of being in her mother’s arms again. “How’ve you been, have you been here all this time?” Buffy asked as they separated.

“Yep, and I finally finished my book.” Joyce said, handing a leather bound book to her daughters.

“There and Back Again, A Hobbit’s Tale by Joyce Summers.” Dawn said reading the title. “This is great Mom.”

“I meant to go back to all the places I went last time. Mirkwood, Lake Town, the Lonely Mountain; but I guess I couldn’t outrun age forever.” Joyce said pointing to her crow’s feet and wrinkles that were beginning appear.

“We missed you.” Buffy said as Joyce put her arms around her girls. “Do you ever miss the Shire? Or being with us?”

“All the time. I love you two with all my heart, and after seeing what happened on the way here, I’ve never been more proud.”

After some more rest, Buffy decided to explore the palace of Caritas. It was beautiful, waterfalls, the Elven architecture, the music; Buffy had never seen anything like it. After looking around, she ran into some old friends.

“Willow! Xander!” Buffy yelled as she turned the corner to see a dwarf and a red head Elf. “I missed you guys, how you doin’?”

“Buffy, I missed you so much!” Willow squealed as she stooped and hugged Buffy. “I can’t believe nobody told me you’d be here.”

“Buffy, I haven’t seen you since Jesse and me visited your mom.” Xander said, hugging the hobbit. “So what are you doing here?”

“I got chased by Black Riders.” Buffy said casually. Willow and Xander’s jaws dropped.

“The Nazgul are after you?! I’ll turn them into toads!” Willow raged.

“You can turn things into toads now?” Buffy asked.

“I’ve been studying up on magic.”

“Oh, cool!”

“Hey Buffy!” Came Spike’s voice from down the walkway. “Who are these two?”

“This is Willow, the Elf Princess of Mirkwood and witch; and Xander the master carpenter and Dwarf warrior. I met them when some of my mom’s friends were visiting.”

“You mean the friends from her trip to Lonely Mountain?” Spike asked.

“Yep.” Buffy nodded.

“Well nice to meet you Red, Whelp.”

“Hey, I am not a whelp!” Xander said angrily at the blonde hobbit. He turned to Willow and whispered “Um, what’s a whelp?”

“Well, I’ll let you all catch up, I’ve got to pack.”

“Pack? Why are you packing?” Buffy asked,

“Well, since we did what Rupes wanted and got to Caritas, I assumed we’d be heading back to the Shire soon.” Spike explained. “Nice meeting you.” He called as he walked away.

“Who was that?” Willow asked, not recognizing Spike.

“That was Spike, he’s a friend from the Shire.”

“You mean a friend off the boy variety?” Willow asked, grinning.

“What? No! He’s just a friend. He’s just a guy who I hang out with, that’s all.” Buffy said, blushing slightly.

“Yeah sure.” Willow said smirking.

“Well, I’m gonna go explore this place some more, see you later.” Buffy said leaving the Elf and the Dwarf.

She walked around a little more, until she saw the dark haired Elf, Cordelia, sitting on a bench by the river.

“Hello, Cordelia.” Buffy said, to the tall brunette.

“Hi, good to see you’re doing better. So, do you like Caritas?” Cordy said, offering Buffy a seat.

“Oh it’s great, I bet it’s even better to live here.”

“Yeah. So, once the Council is over what are you and your friends gonna do?”

“Council?” Buffy asked, confused.

“My father, Lorne, called a big meeting, there are Elves, Dwarves and Men coming to it. I think it’s about what to do with the Ring.” Cordy explained.

“Oh. Well honestly, I just wanna head home. I’ve always been excited by the idea of going on an adventure like my mom did, but after the one I just had, I’m ready to just go home.”

“I don’t blame ya, what you went through is more than most humans I’ve seen can take.”

“Yeah, but there was one upside to all this. That Strider guy, he’s such a hottie.”

“Oh yeah,” Cordy said smiling “ Defiantly a vision of hotliness. And that blonde guy who sat at your bedside, if he were a little taller, whoa!” They continued their girl talk, as Lorne and Giles looked on from a balcony.

“She’s getting stronger already, she’s one tough cookie.” Lorne said smiling fondly at the Hobbit below.

“That wound will never fully heal. She’ll carry it the rest of her life.” Giles said sadly.

“She’s had the Ring for so long and still the crumpet hasn’t given in. Strong and cute, very good combo.” Lorne said, fixing himself a Sea Breeze.

“It’s to big of a burden, she never should’ve had to bear it in the first place. We can’t ask any more from her or her friends. After the Council I want her, Dawn, Andrew and Spike to be taken home.”

“Fine with me, but Giles sweetheart, we still got a lot to do for the big to do. Sauron’s troops are being called up and he’s spying Caritas with his not so little Eye. And now you’re telling me Ethan Rayne is playing the part of Judas Iscariot. All signs point to a fight that’s gonna ruin everybody’s summer plans.”

“I’m afraid it gets worse.” Giles said grimly.

“Of coarse it does.” Lorne groaned, drinking the last of his Sea Breeze.

“Ethan has been using his magicks to cross Orcs and Goblin Men, he’s breeding an army in the caverns of Isengard. And from what I saw, these creatures are very strong and fast. Once he’s created enough of these ‘Uruk Hai’ as he calls them, he’ll be coming for the Ring.”

“This is to big a deal for just the Elves. Sure we’re strong but we can’t take on Mordor and Isengard together. Giles, I’m sorry but the Ring can’t stay here.” Lorne said standing next to Giles. Down at the entrance to Caritas, more people were arriving. Messengers, representatives and ambassadors from Dwarves, kingdoms of Men, and other Elves were gathering for the Council to discuss how to deal with the coming war. “This threat is bigger than anything Middle Earth has ever faced since the last time Sauron tried to destroy the world. This isn’t just about us, it’s about everyone, and everyone has to decide how to put a stop to it. The Elves’ time in this world is over, we’re gonna be leaving soon, then who’s gonna take care of this? The Dwarves? They may know how to make great jewelry, good buildings and a fantastic Sea Breeze, but they can’t hold the weight of the world.”

“We must trust the strength of humanity.” Giles said.

“Humans.” Lorne smiled ruefully. “Some of my best friends are humans, but as a whole they’re weak. I hoped against hope they’d prove themselves, but, and it hurts to say this, but it’s because of humans the Ring still exists. I was there, Giles. I was there three thousand years ago when Riley took the Ring. I had a front row center seat to see the death of the strength of humanity.”

***Flashback to after the Last Alliance’s battle with Sauron***

“Riley, come on!” Lorne said heading up the side of Mount Doom, followed by Riley. “We have to finish this.”

*I led Riley into the chamber where Sauron made the Ring, the fissure in Mount Doom Sauron called the Hellmouth. It was the one place where the Ring could be destroyed.*

“Riley, this is it.” Lorne said as he and Riley entered the fiery Hellmouth.

“This is what?” Riley asked, confused.

“This is where this all ends! This is where the Ring has to be destroyed.”

“Destroyed? Why, Sauron’s gone, what does getting rid of this accomplish?” Riley asked, his hand clutching the Ring.

“He’s gone now, but as long as that Ring exists he can return. The Ring is Sauron!” Lorne called over the roar of the fire, seeing the Ring’s influence beginning to affect Riley. “Throw it in the lava, and Middle Earth will never have to go through this nightmare again. Throw it in the fire, Riley, destroy it!” Riley looked at Lorne, then at the lava, then at the Ring. He felt the power of the Ring; he saw what greatness he could have if he kept it.

“Destroy it!” Lorne cried desperately. Riley looked Lorne in the eye, his gaze was cold and distant, his hand clenched around the Ring.

“No. The Ring is mine!” Riley said coldly, a dark look on his face. He slipped the Ring on his finger and vanished.

“RILEY! NO! RILEY, YOU CAN’T!” Lorne called out, but Riley was long gone.

***The Present, Caritas***

“Riley kept the Ring, and the royal line was broken. Not your standard ‘Happily-Ever-After’ that usually comes after a big fight with the bad guy. If Riley had listened, it would’ve ended right there and none of this would be happening. But it didn’t, and now evil’s back and planning to set up franchises all over.” Lorne said sadly, making another Sea Breeze. “The strength of humanity ain’t what it used to be. They’re scattered, divided and big with the moral ambiguity. Hell, if only they were all like Buffy, I’d say Hobbits should get to run the planet.”

“Yes, I agree that human beings aren’t perfect, but there is someone who can unite them. Someone who can return the strength and dignity to the human race. Someone who can reclaim the throne of Gondor.” Giles said, Lorne knowing well who he was talking about.

“I know, I just wish I could convince his royal broodiness he’s that someone.”

Later that night, after everyone went to sleep, Strider sat in the halls and read for a while. He looked up from his book when he heard footsteps coming towards him, he saw a man with brown hair walking over and looking at the mural of the battle between the Last Alliance and Sauron’s armies. The man turned, feeling someone watching him, and saw Strider sitting there.

“You’re not an Elf. Who are you? The man asked.

“I’m a friend of Giles the Grey, who are you?” Strider asked.

“Then I guess I can trust you, friend. I’m Lindsey.” The man said before something caught his attention. He looked on the alter near by, and saw a handle of a sword and several shards of steel “Wow, the shards of Narsil. The sword that cut the Ring from Sauron’s hand.” He picked up the handle and ran his finger on the blade, drawing blood. “Still sharp after all these years. Too bad it’s just a broken heirloom now.” Lindsey said, placing the sword back onto the alter. He turned and left before the handle wobbled and fell to the floor with a clang. Strider walked over, picking the sword up and putting it back.

“Sorry, if I knew I was interrupting Brood Fest I would’ve knocked.” Said Cordelia, who walked in. “What are you so afraid of? You’re Riley’s heir but you’re not Riley. Just cause he screwed up doesn’t mean you will to.”

“I’m his descendent, his blood is in my blood. The same weakness flows through my veins, and I don’t know if I’ll make the right decision or the same mistake.” Strider said, avoiding Cordy’s eyes. Cordelia walked up to him and looked him in the eyes.

“The future isn’t set in stone. You’ll face the same enemy Riley did but you’ll defeat him once and for all. He doesn’t own us, and he never will.” Cordelia said, leading Strider into the gardens. They walked out onto a bridge and held hands. “Do you remember the first time we met?”

“How could I forget, I thought I was dreaming.” Strider said, staring into her eyes.

“That was a long time ago, do you remember what I said to you?”

“You said you loved me.” Strider said remembering. “You said you bind yourself to me, even if it meant giving up the immortality of your people.”

“And I meant it. I’d rather spend a lifetime with you, than all eternity without you.” Cordelia said, slipping something into Strider’s hand. He opened his hand to reveal her necklace; the Evenstar pendent. “I choose a mortal life.”

“You can’t give me this.” Strider said, realizing she was, in essence handing over her immortality.

“It’s mine, and I’ll give it to whoever I want to. Just like my heart.” Cordy said, pulling him into a kiss.